Belmopan is the capital of Belize, nearer the geographic center of the country than (former capital) Belize City. It was established following the massive damage that occurred when Hurricane Hattie struck Belize City in 1961. An inland location was deemed a safer location for the national government than the low-lying seaside metropolis of Belize City.
You can get around Belmopan by car or taxi, but Belmopan is a small city. Walking can get you around and really show you the true city.
Many tour companies in and around Belmopan, Belize Jungle Masters being the best for zip lining and run tours to a wide variety of interesting caves, ruins, and jungle trails. Belize True Adventures and Upside Down Tours are known for providing amazing tours to St. Herman's Cave and Crystal Cave at the Blue Hole National Park.
It's a good idea to look for reviews for other tour companies on review sites before booking, in case some of them may have treated guests poorly.
Most of these are day trips, leaving early in the morning and returning the same afternoon. Note that not all tours are available on any given day. Most tour companies require a certain minimum number of registrations before they'll make the run. Checking in the night before for which tours are available the next day is often the best option.
St. Herman’s CaveExploring a remote cave once used by the ancient Mayas for ceremonial purposes. Hundreds of pieces of Mayan pottery chard's can be seen inside the cave. The cave is approximately a mile long and is adorned with beautiful stalactite and stalagmite making this a beautiful place for photographs
phone: +501 634 5384address: Blue Hole National Park, Mile 42 Hummingbird Highway, Cayo District
St. Herman's Blue Hole National Park575 acres of forest rich with wildlife with Blue Hole.
phone: +501 824 3070address: Blue Hole National ParkMin 2 people
phone: +501 634 5384address: Blue Hole National Park, Mile 42 Hummingbird Highway Cayo DistrictStarts with a 1 hour hike through the jungle. Then spend about 4-5 hours inside the cave
Every Tuesday and Friday there is a market held in the centre of the city. Many locals set up booths selling inexpensive clothes, DVDs, trinkets, food, and produce. Many Belizians from surrounding towns and villages ride the bus to get to Belmopan's market day so it is a great way to experience the culture. If you want to experience it at its busiest point, plan to come early, because many booths close down during the hottest part of the day.
phone: +501 832-2203address: 7753 Hummingbird HighwayAuthentic and spicy Caribbean food. One of the best places in Belmopan to get jerk chicken.
Drink only the bottled water.
phone: +501 820-2020address: Mile 49 Western HwyA very nice accommodation a few miles outside of Belmopan next to the Belize River. They own a huge section of the jungle and provide horseback riding. Have awesome cabanas and a great pool.
phone: +501 822-2124address: Banana BankOwned by a former UK soccer player and MTV presenter. Facilities include 5 lodge rooms, 3-bedroom garden cottage, 4-bedroom villa, Wi-Fi, swimming pool, on-site travel company, and tour operator.
Bullfrog InnA long standby in Belmopan, a standard hotel and average restaurant.
Yim SaanA 12-storey hotel with a restaurant, a bar, and beautiful suites.
Embassies and High CommissionsSome of the foreign diplomatic missions are located in Belmopan (the national capital) while others are in Belize City. Other countries maintain non-resident diplomatic representation to Belize through their embassy in Mexico City, Guatemala City, San Salvador, Washington DC or elsewhere in the region:
- phone: +1 868 822-5450address: 18 Herbert Street, St Clair, Port of SpainThe Australian High Commission to Belize is accredited from the Australian High Commission in Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago.
- phone: +501 822-0460address: 12 Floral Park St, Belmopan
- phone: +501 223-1060address: 80 Princess Margaret Drive, PO Box 610, Belize CityThe Canadian High Commission to Belize is accredited from the Canadian Embassy in Guatemala City at 13 Calle 8-44 Zona 10, Edificio Edyma Plaza
- phone: +501 227-8744, +501 223-1862address: 20 N Park St, Belize CityBelize has full diplomatic relations with Taiwan as the Republic of China. Therefore, Mainland China does not have diplomatic relations with Belize. Some of the nearby PRC embassies are in Mexico City, Havana, Washington DC, San Salvador and San Jose
Costa Ricaphone: +501 822-1582address: 8 Floriana Street, P.O. Box 288, Belmopan
- phone: +501 223-5345address: 6087 Manatee Drive, Buttonwood Bay, Belize City
El Salvadorphone: +501 832-2404, +501 832-2569address: 20 Tangerine Street, Cohune Walk Area, Belmopan
- phone: +501 223-0399address: 109 New Rd, PO Box 976, Belize CityThe French Embassy to Belize is accredited from the French Embassy in San Salvador at 1a. Calle Poniente, #3718 - Colonia Escalón
- phone: +501 226-0896address: 104 Barrack Rd, PO Box 468, Belize CityThe German Embassy to Belize is accredited from the German Embassy in Guatemala City at Stadt Avenida La Reforma 9-55, Zona 10, Edificio Reforma 10, Nivel 10
Guatemalaphone: +501 223-3150address: 8 'A' St, Kings Park; PO Box 1771, Belize City
Hondurasphone: +501 224-5889address: 6 ‘A’ Street, Kings Parks Area, P.O. Box 285, Belize City
- phone: +501 822-4011address: 3 North Ring Rd, Embassy Square, Belmopan
The Netherlands (Consulate General)phone: +501 223-2953address: 12 Corner Baymen Avenue & Calle Al Mar, P.O. Box 201, Belize City
Nicaraguaphone: +501 223-26-66address: 124 Barracks Road, Belize City
Panamaphone: +501 838-6969address: 40 A Princess Margaret Drive, Belize City
- phone: +501 610-1615, +501 223-5040address: 8 ‘D’ Street, Kings Parks Area, Belize CityThe Spanish embassy to Belize is accredited from the Spanish Embassy in Guatemala City at 6ª Calle 6-48, Zona 9
- phone: +501 822-2146address: North Ring Road and Melhado Parade, PO Box 91, Belmopan
- phone: +501 822-4011address: Floral Park Rd
- Head to the largest city and former capital Belize city