Chau Doc is best-known to travelers as a border crossing with Cambodia.
Walk: the main downtown area is an easy walk, from the riverside to the market to Chau Doc Square.
By motorcycleMinh Kim guesthouse (Phone: 029-66552244, 01222225646, Address: 622 Ton Duc Thang, Vinh My) offers motorcycles for rent. The price is 150,000 vnd per day. If you will mention to the owner that you want to rent Alan's motorcycle you will be given a semi-automatic motorcycle for 100,000 vnd per day. The owner of the guesthouse speaks quite a good English.
- A traditional massage with suction cups is a great way to relax and unwind before returning to Go Chi Minh City or taking one of the riverboats to Phnom Penh.
Sam MountainBike to Sam Mountain: rent a bike from your hotel (US$1-2) and ride 6 m to the base of Sam Mountain. It's an easy ride over flat paved and gravel road, just watch out for traffic. Walk on food from the base of the mountain, up the stairs to the top. Many viewpoints and cafe's with hammocks along the way to stop for a drink and a rest. Alternatively you can take a moto straight to the top of Sam Mountain, a great place to catch the sunset and see the views of Vietnam and into Cambodia.
Tra Su Bird SanctuaryAs of January 2015 most hotels and travel agents are charging around US$34 for a two person trip to Tra Su (Includes moto drivers and boat fees). If you speak to any of the moto drivers around the covered market you should be able to hire one for around 150,000 - 200,000 dong per moto and can visit Sam Mountain or the Pagoda on the way back. Some of the drivers speak good English. Hiring a driver on your own will save about US$8-10 for a two person trip (depending on your negotiating skills).
A large, sprawling market dominates the centre of town, with a covered section in Bach Dang street. There are many ATM, mainly in center near the pagoda, and on Le Loi/riverside.
Thanh Tinhaddress: 13 Quang TrungA nice and clean local restaurant that serves vegan food. Friendly and English-speaking staff. They can also prepare take-away meals (handy for the journey on the slow boat to Cambodia). Be aware, they charged 95,000 dong for a 'com phan', almost three times expensive than usual price (March 2011).
Bay Bongphone: +84 76 867 271address: 22 Duong Thuong Dang LeGood food with a very long menu; locals and visitors eat here. The atmosphere isn't particularly romantic.
- Chau Giang Floating Restaurant, Trần Hưng Đạo street. You can get a cheap drink with a great view of the river at the Chau Giang Floating Restaurant, on the pier at the opposite end to the Victoria Hotel, near the Hang Chau ferry office.
Hang Chau II Hotelphone: +84 76 868891, +84 91 3970831address: 10 Nguyen Van ThoaiGood budget option, within walking distance from the market and the river. It's a bit impersonal, with a lack of decorative touches throughout the building, but it also has a stately 1960s ambiance, and the rooms are big. Parking is available. It's a popular destination for tour groups, so check in early.
Thuan Loi Hoteladdress: 18 Tran Hung Dao St.Has the best location out of the budget hotels, right on the river, but it's also a tour-group stop. Rooms have hot water and a/c.
Trung Nguyenaddress: 86 Bach DangGreat staff.
Motel Number 6 Thanh Maiphone: +84 76 867622address: 6 Phan Van Vang StFor a budget place, the atmosphere is clean and relaxing. Potentional for bus station pick-up and Mekong slow boat/bus trip to Phnom Penh available.
Vinh Phuoc Hotelphone: +84 76 866242, +84 76 562265address: 12-14 Quang TrungA great budget deal, this place is run by an amiable Brit who is an excellent source of local travel information. Free wifi at reception
phone: +84 76 865010address: 32 Le LoiA luxury hotel where you'd least expect to find one, with no amenity left behind. Features 92 rooms, 4 suites, and total incongruity with its surroundings. Transfers to Phnom Penh via private speedboat are available.
Have a problem with your phone, buy a new SIM card or recharge account balance, visit The Anh Mobile Service 31 Le Loi (near Chau Doc Church, church three-way crossroads).
- Can Tho is a popular next stop for travelers on a tour of the Mekong Delta.
- Ha Tien 60,000 dong, 3½ hr, 09:00 departure on the way to Phu Quoc
- Ho Chi Minh City. Phuong Trang bus company (phone +84 76 356 5888) make the connection for 125,000 dong 6 times a day between 08:45 to 00:15.
- Phnom Penh is another popular destination. Many travelers stay for one night in Chau Doc and go the next day to Cambodia. Several boats are available, from slow boats to fast boats. A journey on a slow boat can take up to 10 hr to Phnom Pehn, and the quality of the boats is not always the best (extremely noisy engine, heavy vibration, a lot of sun and no toilet can make a 10-hr trip really long). You can get a visa-on-arrival at the border, it costs US$20 or 400,000 dong (Feb 2010). Most likely, some of the tour operators will tell you, that they have to get the visa for you and that it is now more expensive and other lies (such as the border crossing closes soon and they will get there faster with your passport using a motorbike, etc.) but this is not true and you can ignore them. Try not to take to many dong with you, because the exchange rate you get is not very fair. There is no ATM, so bring enough dollars with you. At the border, there is a small restaurant, but it is comparably expensive. You can get take-away meals and a bottle of water from restaurants in Chau Doc if you plan ahead.