Chiclayonorthern coastal Peru.
Chiclayo is one of the liveliest cities in northern Peru. It has a population of around 970,000. It is big enough to have supermarkets and small enough to be manageable without hours spend in city buses. The plazas like Parque Principal or Plazuela Elias Aguirre buzz with life even after sunset.
The three major airlines, LAN, Avianca and LC Perú, operate daily flights from Lima to Chiclayo. A taxi should cost S/2 for the 1 km journey into the city center.
By busAll the major bus lines are present in Chiclayo but most have their own terminal spread out over the city.
Linea is on Av. Bolognesi 638
One block west of Linea is the Terminal for most north- or eastbound busses.
Movil is around the corner opposite the Metro supermarket (LP says Av. Bolognesi 199 but I think it is Av. Jose Balta).
Chiclayo is full of Tico taxis. Short journeys cost S/3. A station would be better if less easy to find to go to Sipan, Ferreñafe, Lambayeque or the beaches S/15, or Tucume S/20. Moto taxis cost half the price, are better ventilated, but give less protection.
- Lord of Sipan Tomb - The discovery of the Lord of Sipan considered the "King Tutankamon of the Americas", is one of the most spectacular tombs discovered in the western hemisphere. Sipan's treasures show the Moche culture's ability with several metals: gold, silver and copper and precious stones in fine quality and a mastery in metallurgy unrivalled in the Americas, centuries before the Incas.
- The Sipan Museum - Museo Tumbas Reales de Sipan - The museum is in the center of Lambayeque and definitely worth a visit although descriptions are in Spanish only. It features most of the treasures of the Sipan tombs together with thorough explanation what the grave looked like and how it was discovered in 1989. Entrance fee is S/10. Student discount only for national students. Open Tu-Su 09:00-17:00. Collectivos from and back to Chiclayo run frequently (20 minutes, S/1.30). In Chiclayo ask in the collectivo stations.
- Sipan tombs - The excavation site is 30 km out of town
- Tucume - The valley of 26 pyramids built by the ancient Peruvians.
- Sican Museum - Interesting remains of Sican culture. It is located 20 minutes from Chiclayo in Ferrenafe. Yes this is different from Sipan.
- Witch Market - Deep in the market quarters is one row of shops called the witch market (probably second row of shops coming from around Arica #950)
- Real Plaza shopping center and Ripley in the city center.
- Mercado Modelo is a very big market where it´s possible to buy almost anything. It´s crowded and it´s easy to get robbed so be careful.
- Mi Tia's located on Elias Aguirre on the corner of the town square is excellent! Very friendly staff, a good selection of food, to go orders, dine in and at night they have a burger window!
- Marakos Restaurant offers good menus. Grilled beef is one of the most popular and delicious dishes.
- Sorrentos - this evening-only set of diners is not to be missed: great beef empanadas, excellent French fries and top notch salad. Also great Lomo.
phone: +51 74 201 970address: Av. Salaverry 1820
Alojamiento Zphone: +51 74-222534address: Mariscal Catilla 118Av Bolgnesi cuadra 9. Close to Cruz del Sur bus terminal. Quiet in the center of town.
phone: +51 74 227272address: Av Balta 399
The bus companies, hotels & thieves are very central. Do not flash any valuables (such as taking a photo) when walking around this area; it looks safe but there are thieves around.
Pimentel is a fairly unsafe area. Travellers are reported to be robbed there in broad daylight, close to the beach.