Clare (South Australia)
Clare is in the Clare Valley.
Clare is the main tourist centre of the Clare Valley. It's a base for exploring the areas wineries, breweries, and national parks.
Clare is around 90 minutes' drive north from Adelaide (136 km north of Adelaide), and add another 15-30 minutes on to that if you're going to the airport or if there is traffic.
You'll enter the Clare Valley from Adelaide at Auburn, which is a pretty town in itself. Be prepared to spend some time exploring on the last part of the trip.
Although there is an infrequent bus service to Clare from Adelaide. Given the nature of the destination, you are going to either need a car or be on a tour.
By carThe B82 runs through Clare, all surrounding areas are generally accessible by good sealed roads.
Clare Valley Taxisphone: +61 8 8842 1400Does taxis, also does wine tours and has an 11-passenger minibus available for service.
Given the proximity of the Reisling Trail to Clare, there are many options for bicycle hire around town. With the exception of the main highway, the streets are wide and quiet, and getting around town by bicycle is easy.
- Spring Gully Conservation Park
- Cycle the Reisling Trail. There are several bike hire options in Clare
- Clare Valley Cycle Hire
- Riesling Trail Bike Hire. Will pick up and drop off at your accommodation for no extra charge. $40 per day.
The surrounding area has great mountain biking opportunities, for when you've finished on the gravel trail.
phone: +61 8 8841 2300address: Main North Road
- Seed is probably the most upscale dining in Clare. Book ahead on weekends and holidays.
- Panchos is the casual pizza place in the centre of town. Serves pasta and a few other things too. Has some tables to sit at inside, but order at the counter and then grab a table in front.
- Middle Pub is the best pub for visitors in the town proper. Casual mix of locals and visitors. Some nice food available.
- Sevenhill Hotel is a couple of minutes south of on the main road. Huge variety of local wines. You can even book a table in their wine cellar, and pick your bottle straight off the shelves. Local beer brews available too - some seasonal and not available elsewhere. Food is a mix of the pub classics, and some more elegant fare.
Clare has a pub accommodation, motel accommodation and cottages.
- Clare Country Club nice motel style accommodation in a golf course and park setting. Buzzing restaurant, with wine tasting in the season. Bike hire. Around 2km walk (or ride) into town.