Sourced from Wikivoyage. Text is available under the CC-by-SA 3.0 license.Cumbuco is a beach village of about 25.000 inhabitants in Ceará, some 30 kilometers west of Fortaleza. It has recently been discovered by European developers, and small resorts are popping up. Larger projects are in the pipeline, such as a golf course and a beach volleyball arena with a training camp for players. To the west you can see the modern and steadily growing port of Pecém. Built by Companhia Siderúrgica do Pecém, a joint venture between Brazilian and South Korean companies, it has brought many Korean workers to Cumbuco. Thus, Korean letters can be seen throughout the village.
With a steel mill and petroleum refinery to come, it promises a certain impact on the region.
- From Fortaleza there are convenient buses from Clube Ideal, leaving at 9 AM, 11 AM, 3:50 PM and 6:20 PM. These first go all the way to the fish market along Beira Mar, then come back along Avenida Abolição and Avenida Historiador Raimundo Girão. About 1 hour, R$ 4,50. From Cumbuco, buses leave the main square at 6:30 AM, 10 AM, 2:35 PM and 5 PM. More frequent buses to/from Av. do Imperador in the center of Fortaleza.
- To get anywhere else by bus, you need to go to the center of nearby Caucaia.
- Taxis to Fortaleza can be negotiated at R$ 50-80, often included waiting time and return to Cumbuco same day.
You can walk mostly anywhere. The local taxi stand is one block west of the main square. Negotiate prices up front. Buggies can also be hired for short runs, but are mostly more expensive than cabs.
- This is one of the best spots in the world for kite surfing. Several places rent equipment and give classes.
- Kite House , with 8 years experience in teaching, offers excellent basic courses.
- Since 5 years Extreme Control Kiteboarding offers Personal Training in Cumbuco
Prices vary greatly. Lunch can be had from R$ 5 at a number of tiny local restaurants.
Mudaaddress: SW corner of the squareGood for breakfast and light lunch. Drinking in the evenings. Chill music
Sabor da Praia
GauchoLoads of grilled meats
Livingaddress: R. Almirante Pedro de Frontim, 11Food and Lounge. Open evenings only, from Monday to Saturday. Happy Hour daily from 17.00 to 20.30.
What little action there is into the wee hours, all happens along the side streets of the main square:
phone: +55 86 179 119address: Rua Almirante Tamarandi s/nInternational restaurant which is already a well known place for over 3 years. Nice ambiance and tasty food.
Secret Spotaddress: Next door to GauchoOpen evenings only. International menu with strong Italian influence.
Loads and loads of apartments for rent, mostly in the mid and upper range. Good deals can be found outside the peak and kiting seasons.
phone: +55 85 8555-1678address: Avenida Central do Cumbuco 2596
Kariri BeachGood restaurant, large pool area right at the beach. Larger rooms have kitchens.
Vila GaleAllegedly the largest hotel in the state, this is a full-scale resort. Golf course coming up next.
There is an ATM located in the small bakery at the east end of the village, just around the corner from the main square. It is open until around 6pm. The only other ATM in the area is at a gas station (open every day 7AM - 10PM, probably the only one ever seen selling kite surfing gear) some 25 minutes walk in the direction of Fortaleza. Any bus leaving from Cumbuco's main square passes by.
Slow internet in a couple of shops at R$ 2/hour.