Curacautín is a small town in Araucanía, Southern Chile.
Buses from Temuco come in regularly (1½ hours) in the :
- Bio Bio runs services via Victoria (9 times a day, 09:00-21:30) or via Lautaro (twice a day) from their office in the center of Temuco. CLP$3,500 one-way or CLP$6,300 return;
- Curacautín Express runs minibuses every half-hour (06:30-21:00) or every hour on Sundays (07:30-21:00) from the Terminal de Buses Rurales in downtown Temuco. If you arrived in the Terminal Rodoviario by long-distance bus, exit the terminal by the main entrance, then turn left on Vincente Pérez Rosales and walk 300 m until you hit the Panamericana. Cross the street and you will see a bus stop in front of the shop named "Ruta 5". This is the minibus stop in direction Curacautín. CLP$1,500 one-way.
The town is entirely walkable, otherwise taxis are available.
- Go to Parque Nacional Conguillío. In winter, you can take a Captrén minibus from the bus terminal to the Guarderia Captrén (CLP$600, 45 min) or as far as the snow allows. From there you can do a magnificent hike with snowshoes to the Laguna Captrén, with views on the Volcán Llaima along the way. More options are available during summer as transportation can bring you deeper.
- Several hot springs are reachable from Curacautín, ranging from rustic pools to full resorts, such as Cañón del Blanco, Termas de Malalcahuello, Termas de Tolhuaca, Termas de Manzanar.
- Skiing is possible in the Corralco ski resort on the slopes of the Volcán Lonquimay.
phone: +56 45 881793address: Manuel Rodríguez 705, esquina MirafloresNice, very clean, comfy hostel with charming decoration including Mapuche elements. Woodfires keep the main areas warm during winter. Very friendly managers, knowledgeable about all activities available around Curacautín, also propose tours of their own and can rent gear (skis, snowshoes, snow clothing, sledges). The hostel promotes sustainable tourism and ecological conduct: recycling bins, compost and solar hot water (during summer) are available. Wi-fi, hot water, big and nice kitchen, quincho (covered terrace for BBQs), cable TV in the communal room, parking. Breakfast is available for an additional CLP$2,000 or 3,000.
Hostal Rayénaddress: Manuel Rodríguez 104Very basic rooms.