By trainThere is a station on the Trans-Mongolian line of the Trans-Siberian Railway with regular service to Ulaanbaatar, Irkutsk, and Erdenet. Several passenger trains a day pass through Darkhan, including 3 domestic trains that arrive running between UB and either Erdenet or Suhbaatar on the Russian border. You want to buy tickets for Darkhan-1. Darkhan-2 is near an industrial plant several miles south of the city.
Darkhan Train Station
- Ulaanbaatar to Darkhan- The trains leave Ulaanbaatar at 10:30, 20:20, and 21:10, and arrive at 17:38, 02:00 (next day), and 03:10 (next day) respectively for a travel time of 4 to 7 hours depending on number of stops.
- Erdenet to Darkhan- Train leaves Erdenet at 19:40 and arrives in Darkhan at 00:35 the next day.
- 'Suhbaatar to Darkhan- Train leaves Suhbaatar at 06:35 and 21:05 and arrives 2 hours later at 08:37 and 23:12 respectively.
- Darkhan to Ulaanbaatar- Trains leave Darkhan at 01:45, 08:52, and 23:40 and arrive in UB at 07:40, 16:20, and 06:10 (next day) respectively. Travel time ranges from 6 to 8 hours depending on number of stops.
- Darkhan to Erdenet- The train leave Darkhan at 02:52 and arrives in Erdenet at 07:45 for a travel time of 5 hours.
- Darkhan to Suhbaatar-Trains leave at 03:25 and 17:55 and arrive in Suhbaatar at 05:30 and 20:00 respectively for a travel time of 2 hours.
By busBuses are usually much faster and more convenient than the train that tends to leave or arrive in the middle of the night. There are buses leaving hourly from the Dragon Center in Ulaanbaatar and the Russian border at Suhbaatar. The first bus leaves UB at 09:00, and the last bus leaves around 19:30. Travel time is usually a little less than 4 hours. There are also microbuses and vans leaving from the Dragon Center throughout the day. Buses from Erdenet and Suhbaatar are also available.
Darkhan Bus Station
Museum of Darkhan-Uulcollection of archaeological findings, traditional clothing, religious artifacts, and taxidermy.
Morin Khuur Monument and Seated BuddhaLocated on 2 hills separating New and Old Darkhan, and connected by a suspension bridge.
Kharagiin monasteryLocated in a log cabin built in the early 1990s in the Old Darkhan.
Darkhan 50The main park in town where everyone enjoys hanging out around the fountains at dusk.
Darkhan City Theme Park
Black MarketA huge confusing market that can take several hours to explore. Everything from live goats to clothes to car parks are sold either in one of the may buildings or outdoor kiosks.
Nomin SupermarketLarge selection of domestic and foreign products. Expect to spend more than anywhere else.
цагаан хоолaddress: New DarkhanThe best food and deal in town!
BBQ Chickenaddress: New DarkhanBest place for chicken in town. Choose a few options when looking at the menu, just in case they do not have your first option in stock.
The Empire Restaurant & Pubphone: +976 7037-7720address: New DarkhanGood selection of Mongolian & American dishes.
phone: +976 70374008address: Texas restaurant & Bar, A corpus, 380 ail, New Darkhan.Texas Restaurant & Bar serves a variety of Mongolian, European and American food, cocktails, coffee, and teas.
Bulgogi Family Restaurantphone: +976 7037 7300address: New DarkhanGood Korean food. 3,500-15,000 ₮ a plate.
- Avoid Korean and Chinese restaurants, because these types of restaurants prepare their foods out of very low and bad quality raw food materials. Instead going to other local restaurants and local canteens called Tsainii gazar (Цайны газар) are a safer choice.
DD Night Club
Queens Night ClubLocals bust out their moves at the Queens Night Club in the center of the New Darkhan.
Comfort Hotelphone: +976 137229091One of the most comfortable and cleanest hotels in town. It has wifi and TV in all rooms. There is a bar and restaurant in the hotel. Karaoke and laundry service also offered.
Kharaa Hotelphone: +976 9937 2828address: New Darkhan, south of cultural centerAll rooms have bathrooms, TV, and WiFi internet. Breakfast included.
Russiaphone: +976 1372 23996address: Zaluuchuudyn gudamzh, 13