DelloDarjeeling district of West Bengal. At a height of 1914m and only 6km away from Kalimpong, it is a perfect getaway amidst the majestic mountains for tourists who want a day off from their busy schedule. At Dello, you are in for a treat of a lifetime - a quiet romantic evening atop a picturesque landscape overlooking the Teesta valley, followed by one of the best views of the Kanchenjunga range the next dawn - a must-try for everyone visiting Kalimpong!
- Kalimpong is the nearest jeep/bus stand (only 6km from Dello), which is well-connected by jeep/bus to both Siliguri (2-3 hours) and Darjeeling (2 hours). One may reserve a car for Dello from the main bus stand of Kalimpong (costs about Rs. 200-300, as on 15 June 2012). The 6km journey from Kalimpong to Dello passes by a beautiful array of landscapes, through the properties of Dr. Graham's Home, and it takes only about 15-20 minutes by car. The uphill road also offers a fair temptation for a trekking enthusiast, but hiking up this path is not recommended for the naive, especially during the monsoons when the roads tend to be unpredictable.
- Bagdogra is the nearest airport, about 2-3 hours away from Kalimpong, and about 14km (20-30 minutes) from Siliguri.
- Siliguri is the nearest major city with a strong railway network - the main railway station being New Jalpaiguri (NJP). One may also plan to arrive at Darjeeling by the heritage Toy-Train (from Siliguri), and then come down to Kalimpong and Dello.
- Kanchenjunga range
- Garden in the compound of the DGHC guest house
- In season time, during October-February: Get up at 5 AM to enjoy one of the best views of Kanchenjunga, right from your bedroom or the guest house/hotel compound. Follow it up with a stroll within the DGHC Guest House compound filled with seasonal flowers, bathed in dewdrops.
- In off-season, mostly during monsoons: Spend the evening on the guest house/hotel porch with your loved ones, looking at the misty mountains and valleys that form a mesmerizing romantic ambiance to die for.
- In season time, during October–February: For the adventurous souls, Dello offers an exciting opportunity of Paragliding, overlooking the curves of the picturesque hills and valleys. Contact the main desk of your guest house/hotel to get the details.
In a nutshell, Dello is at best a one-night stint, but of course, a highly recommended one.
- Momo (especially beef/pork momo)
- Chilly chicken and Chicken fry
- Darjeeling tea (preferably without milk and sugar)
- Ginger tea or Masala tea (with milk and sugar)
Deolo Tourist LodgeMaintained by the Darjeeling Gorkha Hill Council, this is by far the best place for staying at Dello. The property is situated atop the Deolo Hill, with a beautifully maintained garden, secluded from the world. The best 360 degree view of the Kanchecjunga range is available from the property. There are only 13 rooms at the Lodge, and hence one should look for a booking at least 20-30 days in advance (in season) or 5-10 days in advance (at other times). Advance booking is highly recommended (may be done online, or from Kolkata, Siliguri, Darjeeling and Kalimpong).
Himadri Hotelphone: +91 98323 41989About 1km from the Deolo Tourist Lodge, this hotel is situated near the Science City. It allows the visitors a short walk to the Deolo Tourist Lodge gardens, as well as offers a majestic view of the Kanchencjunga. Booking in advance is recommended.
Sanghsay Valley ResortAbout 3km from the Deolo Tourist Lodge, this resort is situated at 14th Mile, Dara Gaon, Upper Echhey, Kalimpong. Offers a nice view of Kanchenjunga from the rooms as well as from the terrace. Booking in advance is recommended.