False BayCape Peninsula of South Africa. The water in the bay is much warmer than the Atlantic Seaboard, partly being fed by the subtropical Agulhas current, making it popular for swimming. Horseshoe shaped, the bay provides some of the best beaches in South Africa and is patrolled by an active, effective Shark Spotting service keeping bathers safe. Protective shark nets have been installed at Fish Hoek, one of the most beautiful of the beaches.
- — (Boulders Beach)
- &mdahs; suburb of Cape Town near Simon's Town
- - might be worth a visit, if you like tranquillity and loneliness.
- The ocean water in False Bay (on the eastern side of the peninsula) is around 5-8°C warmer than the ocean water along the Atlantic Seaboard (on the western side of the peninsula). This makes swimming possible all year round.
- You can visit the beaches at Muizenberg, Fish Hoek or Simon's Town and enjoy a day at the penguin colony at Boulders Beach.
- The Southern Right Whale can often be seen in the False Bay, especially during the whale season (about June to November). A good spot to see whales is at Cape Point in the Table Mountain National Park, but, in season, good views can be had from the coast between Muizenberg, St James, Kalk Bay, Fish Hoek and Simonstown. Its the only place where you can travel by train to watch whales!
A Whale of a Heritage Routefor a log of the latest whale sightings.You can also follow them on Twitter and be updated with sightings as they happen!