Gordon's BayStrand. it is situated between False Bay and the foot of the Hottentots Holland mountain range. This seaside town offers visitors a variety of activities and attractions in the immediate vicinity and within a short drive which include Cape cuisine and fine scenery.
From Cape Town, take the N2 eastwards, exit to the Strand and drive further along the coast, or turn off directly to Gordon's Bay at the bottom of Sir Lowry's pass.
- Saiking cruises: Gordon's Bay Yacht Club is in the old harbour - you can take a sunset cruise on a sailing yacht; relax and sip wine; and watch the evening glitter of the ocean whilst listening to water lap the side of the boat. Other options include deep-sea fishing trips or a simple boat ride. One can also enjoy fresh seafood at the Old Harbour at its restaurants.
- Neaco: If you are planning on spending some time out in the sun, Gordon’s Bay is has long stretches of white, sandy beaches. Here one can enjoy peace of mind with safe and protected bathing, though it may be windy in summer. The beaches are suitable for sunbathing, snorkeling, jet and water skiing, surfing, volleyball, sailing and rubber ducking (riding small inflatable powerboats). Several cafes, restaurants, coffee shops, pubs and curio shops can be found along the beachfront in the form of the Gordon’s Bay beachfront promenade.
- Fishing charters: You can charter a fishing boat or angle from the breakwater or shoreline. You might even catch some fish.
- Scuba diving is available when the weather permits, which is mostly in summer in Gordon's Bay, but there are some good days most seasons. There are scuba diving schools in Gordon's Bay and in the surrounding area where one can be trained and certified. There is often somewhere within a day-trip range where the conditions will be suitable for diving, from the Cape Peninsula to Hermanus. Do not be put off by the wind if it is from the southeast, the diving is often at its best during or after offshore south easterly winds, and the dive sites are almost all close inshore where it is sheltered from the wind below the steep mountainside. The dive sites are all on rocky reefs and are suitable for all levels of diver.
- Golf: There are nine golf courses within about a half hour's drive: Pearl Valley, De Zalze at Spier, Stellenbosch, Devonvale, Somerset West, Strand, Erinvale, Bosch-en-Meer and Arabella.
Ordinary day to day goods and some souvenirs are available within the town, and a much larger range a little further afield at Strand and Somerset West. The County Craft Market has more than two hundred stalls, and offers its customers a diverse range of handcrafted arts and crafts. Somerset Mall, a fifteen-minute drive from Gordon’s Bay, is a large upmarket shopping mall with a large range of supermarkets and boutiques.
Harbour Island, the waterfront development, offers several restaurants – which include Snappers Restaurant, Dutch Bar, and the Star Fish Café – one can enjoy a light lunch, have an early evening drink, or dine adjacent to the sea. All of these lively or intimate venues are tailored to cater for an international clientele.
Mi Casa Restaurant & Cocktail Barphone: +27 21 856-3128address: 157 Beach RdA comfortable restaurant near Bikini Beach in Gordon's Bay. They have a wide variety of menu items and cocktails.
phone: +27 21 856-1824address: 90 Chapman AveA holiday house and garden flat with Uninterrupted views of mountains and sea.
phone: +27 21 856-3095address: 135 Beach RdElegant and comfortable Gordon's Bay guesthouse with sea views from every room. Situated just 50 metres from the beach and in walking distance to restaurants. Children welcome.