By airplaneThe nearest airport and high-speed train station are in Hanover. From there you may transfer to Hamelin thrice an hour using suburban line S5 or S51 in 40–45 minutes.
By trainSince the year 2000, the S-Train Lines and have offered connections every half hour from Hannover's train station. Likewise, since 2002 hourly connections to Paderborn have been available. Every hour connections to the Bünde-Löhne-Rinteln-Hameln-Elze-Hildesheim route are available via the "Weser train" (line RB 77).
On FootThe European far-distance hiking trail E11 passes through Hamelin on its way from the Netherlands, Osnabrück and the Porta Westfalica, continuing to the Harz mountains and Berlin.
- Several romantic 16th-century half-timbered houses with lavish ornaments, e.g. Stiftsherrenhaus (canons' house) and Bürgerhaus (house of the citizenry)
Pied Piper's Houseaddress: Osterstraße/BungelosenstraßeRenaissance building from 1602/03, with an elaborately decorated main façade and an inscription reminding of the Pied Piper legend.
HochzeitshausRenaissance-style sandstone building dating from 1610–17. Pied Piper-themed carillon.
Schloß Bückeburg and Hofreitschulephone: +49 5722 9558-30address: Fürstliche Schlossverwaltung Schlossplatz 1 31675 BückeburgCastle and riding school/horse stables. Very beautiful and elegant. Tours available in English
Site of the Nazi Reich's 1933-1937 ErntedankfestenInteresting for history fans, to see the site where the Nazis celebrated their harvest festivals, on the Bückeberg hillside. To get to the top requires quite a few stairs, but the views and historical value are rewarding.
St. Boniface Minster Church
Market Church of St. Nicholas
phone: +49 5151 202 1215address: Osterstraße 8-9Museum of local history in two neighbouring historic buildings (Renaissance-style sandstone Leisthaus and half-timbered Stiftsherrenhaus)
Weser Cycle RouteAward-winning bike path named one of the most beautiful and scenic rides in all of Germany.
phone: +49 5151-3888address: Osterstr. 28One of the more famous buildings in Hameln's old-town area. A beautiful example of the architectural style of the Weser Renaissance.
phone: +49 5151 92 47 04address: Tündernsche Warte 1, 31789 Hameln, GermanyLovely little restaurant and beer garden a short bit away from the bustle of the main town and city center.
phone: +49 51 51 34 25address: Fischbecker Str. 33
address: Alte Marktstr. 18
Rattenfängerhotel Berkeler Wartephone: +49 5151 82289-0address: Berkeler Warte 2
address: Wettorstr. 15
HämelschenburgRenaissance-style sandstone chateau in the Weser Uplands, one of the best examples of Weser Renaissance architecture, housing an art collection, surrounded by an ensemble of gardens, church, outbuildings and a watermill.
- Hanover, state capital, 50 km northeast (40–45 minutes by train)
- Hildesheim, historical city with several medieval cultural monuments, 50 km east (50 minutes by train)
- Lemgo, extraordinarily well-preserved old town with many medieval and Renaissance merchant's houses, 40 km west
- Detmold, with the iconic Hermann's monument, 45 km west
- Bodenwerder, origin city of the Baron von Münchausen legends, namesake of Munchausen syndrome, with entertaining statues throughout the town commemorating the myths