Heraklion (regional unit)
Heraklion is a regional unit on the island Crete in Greece.
- (Greek: Ηράκλειον) — the largest city with the archaeological highlight Knossos.
- (Greek: Χερσόνησος) — Also known as Hersonissos is a blissful harbour town in winter and party capital of Crete in summer.
- (Greek: Μάλια) — crowded tourist mecca popular mostly with young, especially British, visitors.
- (Greek: Μάταλα) — A popular tourist destination discovered by the Hippies longtime ago.
- (Greek: Καλοί Λιμένες) — A bunkering spot for ships.
- (Greek: Λέντας) — A small seaside resort whose beaches are suitable for camping and naturism.
- (Greek: Κνωσός) — The most visited archaeological site in Crete associated with the myth of Theseus and the Minotaur.
- (Greek: Φαιστός) — One of the most important centres of Minoan civilization
- (Greek: Τσούτσουρος) — A cute fisherman's hamlet located on the southern coast
- Epano Vatheia — the old church of Saint Antony, with remains of murals.