Hollywood (Florida)Florida, located between Fort Lauderdale and Miami. With a population of 146,000 people, Hollywood, Florida is a relatively small city that retains an old laid-back Florida feel to it compared to the larger cities in the area.
HistoryHollywood was founded in 1925.
ClimateHollwood has a tropical climate, with very hot and humid summers and temperatures in the 80s and 90s (26-38 C). The city has warm winters, with temperatures in the mid-70s (about 23C). The summer is a rainy season with occasional tropical storms and hurricanes. The winter is drier and mostly sunny by comparison. Hollywood gets about 60 inches of rain annually.
- The city is about 40 minutes from the Miami International Airport or 10 minutes from Fort Lauderdale International Airport.
- Interstate 95 that goes south from the Atlantic Coast of the eastern USA and through cities into West Palm Beach, and Ft. Lauderdale, and Miami runs through here.
- AMTRAK offers daily train service on the Silver Star and Silver Meteor routes.
- Tri-Rail,1-800-TRI-RAIL. Tri-Rail is a commuter rail line linking Miami, Fort Lauderdale, and West Palm Beach, with Hollywood. It is run by the South Florida Regional Transportation Authority. The 72-mile system has 18 stations along the South Florida coast. The rail connects to the Metrorail in Miami at the Tri-Rail/Metrorail Transfer Station.
By carThe easiest way to get around Hollywood and South Florida is by car. If renting, it is substantially less money to rent a car from a location outside of the airport. The city is set up on grid system, and is fairly easy to navigate.
Broward County is served by three major Interstates (I-75, I-95, I-595) and some U.S. Highways including U.S. Highway 1, US 27 and US 441. It is also served by Florida's Turnpike and State Highway 869, also known as the Sawgrass Expressway.
Fort Lauderdale Airport is served by all national and regional rental car franchises.
By taxiTaxis are generally expensive, but available at almost any time and place.
Yellow Cabphone: +1 954 777-7777address: fort lauderdale airportThe largest company in the city.
Larrys Limo +1-800-611-6631 www.larryslimo.com
phone: +1 954 357-8400The county bus system. BCT provides for connections with the bus systems in other parts of the metropolitan area: Metrobus in Miami-Dade County and Palm Tran in Palm Beach County. Buses are available, but often slow and inconvenient. There is a push to increase bus service.
By boatHollywood shares the Intracoastal Waterway with Fort Lauderdale; America's yachting capital. As such has numerous boat charter companies. It is a great way to see the area. There are many restaurants and bars along the intracoastal that cater to this clientèle.
The Seminole Indian ReservationHere you can see the Seminole Okalee Indian Village, and the Ah-Tah-Thi-Ki Museum and get a feel for the local Seminole culture.
The IGFA Fishing Hall of Fame & MuseumLocated in Dania Beach.
- Hollywood offers a clean, excellent beach complete with its "Broadwalk" pedestrian path, which offers oceanfront shopping, dining, entertainment, strolling, a running path and a biking path. Bike rentals are available. There is also a Beach Theater on the Broadwalk at Johnson Street, with cultural arts performances normally 5 nights per week (weather permitting).
Downtown HollywoodCentralized location with restaurants, shops, galleries, entertainment, and a newly renovated park. Downtown Hollywood is renowned as a center of art deco, second locally only to South Beach, and filled with art galleries and beautifully restored historic 1930s feel.
Dania BeachWhich offers a wonderful fishing pier complete with a restaurant.
John U. Lloyd Beach State ParkHas gorgeous beaches, boating, kayak and hobiecat rentals, a small outdoor restaurant, and public grills.
Topeekeegee Yugnee ParkLocated in north Hollywood. Offers walking trails surrounding a lake, recreational facilities, a public pool, water park, and campground hookups.
phone: +1 954-961-3220
- Although it might be hard to get hold of the proper equipment, kitesurfing is great in the area.
phone: +1 954 921-3274address: 1650 Harrison St.A small art museum located Downtown, in a renovated 1920s Mission-style mansion.
- All along the Boardwalk you can find restaurants where you can get a very big, very tasty, and usually inexpensive pizza with a large beer to go with it.
- There are many restaurants and bars along the intracoastal waterway that are very good to eat at.
- Downtown Hollywood in particular can offer a good and reasonably priced meal. Hollywood has particularly large populations of Italians, Peruvians, Romanians, Greeks, and Turks compared to the rest of South Florida...all of whom bring their great cuisine with them. There are a lot of live performances from traditional bands, singers, and exotic dancers either inside restaurants or on the street. The coffee, ice cream, and middle eastern cuisine tends to be of insurpassable quality.
address: 1 Seminole WayHuge resort featuring a 4-star hotel, casino, shopping, nightclubs, dining, and numerous entertainment venues.
phone: +1 954 889-2600address: 141 SW 19th CtUpscale business hotel with 100% all-suite rooms.
Harbor Beach Marriott Resort & SpaLocated right on the boardwalk.
phone: +1 954 924-2202address: 2501 N Ocean DrLocated on the Intercoastal Highway, away from the busy strip of tourist hotels in Fort Lauderdale.
The Westin Diplomat Resort & SpaA large higher end, but expensive hotel.
Newport Beachside Hotel & ResortA centrally located beachfront hotel.
Ramada Hollywood Beach ResortOffers quality oceanfront lodging accommodations near the airport, cruise ship port terminal and local tourist attractions. Packages/specials available.
phone: +1 954-924-9430A boutique hotel with studios, 1 & 2 bedroom beach suites situated in the heart of Hollywood Beach and just ten minutes' drive from Fort Lauderdale Airport.
phone: +1 954 922-2679address: 1010 S. Federal HighwayClean, safe and comfortable motel with large pool.
phone: +1 954 391-9448address: 334 Arizona StHostel on the beach with dorms and private rooms. Kitchen, security lockers, free wireless internet available. Surfboards and bike rentals offered.
address: Hollywood, Florida4 modern Apartments (1 and 2 rooms) just 300 feet from Hollywood Beach - for short term rental. Come and live the Beach-Life in Florida !
Remember if you are caught in a rip current don't try to fight it. Instead swim out diagonally with the current until you are safely out of the currents grasp.
As with the rest of the USA the emergency telephone number for fire, police and rescue emergencies is 911.