KhinalugKhinalug the highest (2250 m above sea level), most remote and isolated village in Northeastern Azerbaijan and among the highest in the Caucasus.
By carIn 2006, the road was paved due to a visit from Azerbaijan's President. Now, a car can make the trip to Khinalig. Before paving an SUV was essential (but still recommended).
By Quba go straight on the main road from Baku, not crossing the river, after passing the roundabout look for signposts on Qəçrəş. The first 20 km is not that interesting, but it changes dramatically after entering the ravine. At km 41 from Quba there is a bridge, behind which you have to turn right, towards the village of Cek.
By taxiPrices will be negotiable, but expect to pay around 40 manat from Quba. You may be quoted more, but haggling is acceptable.
By busNo buses are available to this location.
- The houses in Khinalug are a visual example of the distinctive village. The houses are built like a staircase - each roof is another's house front door terrace. Pay attention to the cubes of dried fertilizer, serving as fuel in the winter. A half-hour walk among households should give a good impression of it.
Historical-Ethnographic MuseumA modest exhibition of vessels, weapons, medals and a "library". Usually you have to ask locals in order to find key-keeper – azeri: Açar var?
- Good views over the village can be seen from the old upper road.
Keep in mind that hiking is not considered a recreational activity for most Azerbaijani people, but Khinalugian people are more appreciative of the benefits of eco-tourism.
HikingKhinalug is a great base to explore the surrounding mountains: Khinalig, Şahdağ, Heydər düzü, Tufan Dağ. You can also arrange a trek from here to the two village called Ləzə - one is located near the town of Qusar (2-3 days) and the other in the vicinity of Qabala (1 day).
ŞahdağAzerbaijan's highest mountain.
BaltagayaCliff mountain pass at 3,200 m. From here, great views of the valleys on Khinalug and Laza sides. Also a vantage point for Şahdağ.
Roundtrip Baku to Khinalug (Xinaliq)Leave day 1, arrive and sleep in Khinaliq or village of your request. Return day 2 around mid day. Many opportunities to stop and take pictures. All additional gas burning excursions from route can be negotiated. Contact a taxi a few days in advance to schedule service.
- Shepherd's cap – Made from wool, these caps will keep your head toasty in the coldest conditions. The caps are very distinctive to this area. The caps come in several colours; from white to dark wool.
- Mutton –: Khinalug is a vegetarian's nightmare. The high altitude won't allow many vegetables to grow.
Zaur Lalayevphone: +994 518309720Runs a guest house from his family home. His family will offer you warm home cooked meals and hot tea. Zaur's late father Badal was featured in Mark Elliot's guide book. Zaur now took over and runs hiking and horse excursions adventures.
Agali Muradovphone: +994 506426303Same guy who also offers tours from Quba.
Raufphone: +994 169 49076
Rustam XinaliqliRustam and his family have a room they rent out to travelers with floor mattresses and warm blankets. Can also arrange transport to and from Quba.
- Quba – Probably the place where you started from.
AteshgahA sacred, natural, eternal flame.
Cloudcatcher CanyonScenic landscape between Quba and Khinalig.