KulmbachFranconia. Its main claim to fame is a high brewery density, which albeit much diminished with economic consolidation was historically quite remarkable.
Nuremberg Airport (NUE) is the closest airport with scheduled flights
Kulmbach AirfieldA small airfield for general aviation
By carKulmbach is easily accessible on the autobahn A70, approximately 90 km north of Nuremberg and 40 km south of Hof.
There are two main breweries in Kulmbach, the small Kommunbrau Brewery and the big Kulmbacher Brauerei.
PlassenburgThe castle towering over the town
St. Peter's churchThe oldest church in town and perhaps the oldest in all of Upper Franconia
- In March is spring market
- In April or May there is public celebration (Volksfest) at Schwedensteg.
- The annual Bierfest (Kulmbach Beer Festival) begins on the last Saturday in July and continues through until the first weekend in August. Getting accommodation might be a bit difficult at the time of the Bierfest. But not impossible, if you're early enough with for reservations.
- The Alstadtfest (Old Town Festival) takes place on the first weekend in July and is organised by the restaurants, bars and pubs in the old part of the town.
- Every other year odd-numbered years), Kulmbach hosts one of the world's largest model figure shows, Internationale Zinnfigurenbörse. Thousands of miniatures from exhibitors and retailers from around the world are on sale and display. Also visit the German Museum of Miniatures inside the Castle Plassenburg. Founded in 1929, the museum has more than 300,000 individual pieces.
The Farmers Market, in front of the Town hall, takes place every Wednesday and Saturday 07:00-12:00, and sells fresh fruit, vegetables, meat, sausages and flowers.
Best of Kulmbach are fried sausages (Bratwurst) and beer.
phone: +49 9221 87485address: E.-C.-Baumann-Str. 17A, 95326 KulmbachThe snack bar is popular with craftsmen, it is still cooked by hand and nothing comes from the bag. If you come outside business hours, you will find a vending machine that offers everything from sausage to ready-made pastries in glasses to barbecue.
phone: +49 9221 823884address: Am Gründlein 5, 95326 KulmbachKulmbach's youngest brewery, with an inn with good and inexpensive Franconian food.
phone: +49 9221 92830address: Ziegelhüttener Straße 38Former brewery with good Franconian dishes and beer garden
phone: +49 9221 84200address: Grünwehr 32Traditional restaurant founded 1898, with Franconian dishes and beer garden. Meats and sausages from own butchering.
phone: +49 9221 4231address: Matth.-Schneider-Str.6Good Franconian dishes
phone: +49 9221 80514address: Hofer Straße 20, 95326 KulmbachRestaurant of the biggest brewery, near Brewery museum, with the largest beer garden in town. Try the museum beer
Kulmbacher Eisbock, ice bock, is a dark, tasty beer speciality with 9% alcoholic content. Overall Kulmbach is famous for its beer and several breweries still operate in town, though diverse factors have lead to a consolidation and reduction of independent breweries, with many either bought up by bigger companies or driven into bankruptcy.
phone: +49 9221 84490address: Grünwehr 17The last brewpub in Kulmbach, founded in 1994 as brewing cooperative . A small group of townspeople decided to open small brewery where they could make traditional, unfiltered beer. They offering a light “Hell” and a dark beer “Bernstein” and every month a special beer. The first taste of the new brew is every first Wednesday in month. It’s in a nice location, the building is an old water mill, but it’s the in-house brewery that sets it apart.
Zunftstubephone: +49 9221 83377address: Obere Stadt 4Oldest pub in town, interior furnishing from 1938.
address: Pörbitscher Platz 9
Bed & Breakfast
phone: +49 9229973750address: Kirchweg 33a in 95336 Mainleus
phone: +49 9221 7244address: Mangersreuther Str. 37