Liberia (Costa Rica)Guanacaste province of Costa Rica. It is located about 220 km (138 mi) Northwest San Jose.
Daniel Oduber Quirós International AirportDaily flights arrive in Liberia on several US airlines. Aerobell Airlines and Sansa Air, the domestic airlines also land here. A bus travels between the airport and city center between 06:00-18:00.
There is an exit tax that must be paid on international departures. You can pay by credit card, but it will be recorded as a cash advance with higher fees.
By busA large public bus network services Liberia and connects it with San Jose, the beaches and the Nicaraguan border. From the only stop light in town along the Pan American Highway, go 300 meters north and turn right. There is the Pulmitan de Liberia bus stop with buses going to San José (US$5), and the general bus stop that will take you to Guanacaste beaches and the Nicaragua border.
By carLiberia is at the cross section of the Interamericana that stretches throughout Central America and the Route 21 that heads to famous beaches such as Tamarindo.
address: Curubande, Liberia, GuanacasteLots of volcanic activity, trails, waterfalls, plenty of wildlife to see. Entrance at Sector Las Pailas is closed on Mondays; the one at Sector Santa Maria is opened every day (including Christmas Day).
Volcanic Mud Springs with Spaaddress: Rincon de la ViejaPools with volcanic mud water for bathing, mud springs for mud treatment. At Rio Negro Hot Springs pools with spring water beside Rio Negro are used for bathing. The temperature of the water ranges from 36ºC to 40ºC. Massage service is offered. Admission to the Hot Springs and Mud Springs is US$25.
phone: +506 2690-1414address: Rincon de la Vieja National ParkLongest mountain water slide 400 m -- in the middle of the tropical forest. This is done with all the necessary security equipment.
- Kuru is the only nightclub. A little bit dingy but very popular with the local Ticos. Goes on until everyone leaves at the weekend.
- LIB is a second story bar in the Plaza Santa Rosa. Modern design and sometimes modern music.
- Casa Pueblo on the Calle Real is popular with students. Relaxed atmosphere, funky decor and western indie and rock music.
- Elements, Calle 3 between Avenidas 3 and 5. The trendiest bar in town. Theme based in the four elements. 2 Bars, restaurant area, 1 lounge and 1 VIP area. Very popular among the staff of the Four Seasons resort, tourists and local crowd. Excellent service. Happy tunes.
- Bar de Luna is popularly known as a gay bar, next to the Best Western and across the street from Kuru. It is popular with locals and visitors because it is open until sunrise and plays great dance music. Also has a reputation with drug users, so be careful.
phone: +506 2690-8888address: Ruta # 21 across from the airportBuilt in 2008, the property is in front of Daniel Oduber International Airport (LIR), it has 169 rooms & suites, signature bedding, LCD TVs, swimingpool, modern fitness room, car rental desk, a restaurant and bar.
phone: +506 2672-0000address: Gulf of Papagayo 20 minutes from Liberia AirportJunior suites with private plunge pool. Amazing views
address: Pagapayo Peninsula, GuanacasteGolf course that was named in the top 50 in the world. Check out the impressive ocean views from the back nine.
Sol Resort PapagayoThis resort is situated on the shores of the Gulf of Papagayo, with direct frontage and access to Panama Beach. The rooms and villas are surrounded by exquisitely maintained gardens that use local flora and fauna, with a small central pond as a centerpiece. The common area walkways are nicely enhanced with artistic tile work. Locally-made statues are interspersed along the walkways, as are additional gardens. Everything is nicely lit at night.
- Hotel Liberia. About 100 m south from the Plaza. Very simple rooms with fan. Nice staff. Good budget option. The cheapest double cost US$12 or ₡6000 (colones) in April 2008.
- Best Western El Sitio. Right on the intersection and in walking distance of the town and 10 minutes drive from the airport. Simple rooms with air conditioning. Gym, casino and pool on site with large area for sun lounging. Double costs US$76 and includes breakfast. Best Western El Sitio's phone number +506 2666-1211
- Allegro Papagayo, Manzanillo beach. With 300 standard rooms and 8 suites, this hotel gives you all the luxury and accommodations of a four star hotel. The rooms are provided with private baths, hair dryers, direct dial telephones, satellite TV, and electronic safety boxes. Three restaurants and three bars. The pool had a swim up bar with a wheel to spin to help select your drink. They also had access to a small private beach accessible by small boat.
- Best Western Las Espuelas, 2 km from the city, heading south on the Interamericana. A spacious, tranquil hotel. Pool and all the usual amenities. US$76 a double.
phone: +506 2666-8075address: Rincon de la Vieja National ParkThe hotel is in a traditional Guanacaste cattle hacienda that dates back to 1800. The national park, with all its beauty and activities, is in its back yard.
La Posada Del TopeThis budget option near Parque Central has gotten mixed reviews. Shared bathrooms.
phone: +506 666-0085address: Calle 12, between 1st and 3rd avenues.Member of Hostelling International. Close to all bus terminals, clean, nice patio, Internet and Wifi, restaurant, tourism information available.
phone: +506 2690-1414address: Rincon de La ViejaThis eco-lodge in a hacienda offers spectacular sunsets and a magnificent view of the Pacific Ocean, volcanoes, plains and forests.