Lismore (New South Wales)Lismore is a town in the Northern Rivers region of New South Wales
For the island in Scotland, see Isle of Lismore
Lismore Regional AirportThere's friendly service, plenty of free parking during daylight hours, secure paid parking overnight, free wireless internet access, a meeting room and a spacious, air-conditioned terminal with refreshments, light meals and gourmet coffee available. Lismore is serviced by Regional Express (REX) with 52 flights per week between Sydney and Lismore.
- Ballina/Byron Airport BNKis around 45 minutes drive, and flights has more competition, with flights by Jetstar, Virgin Australia and REX.
- The Gold Coast Airport OOLhas discount and international flights and is around 90 minutes drive away. If you are touring, car hire is often considerably cheaper from the Gold Coast, and doesn't have the kilometre restrictions that are placed on car-hire in Lismore. One-way fees may also be considerably less.
Located on the Bruxner Highway and easily accessed by car, Lismore is within a 2.5 hour drive of Brisbane and about 9 hours from Sydney.
NSW TrainlinkServices are available from Sydney to Casino, with a connecting coach from Casino to Lismore.
Several coach and bus operators provide services to Lismore from major centres throughout Australia and the region.
- NSW Trainlink
- Premier Motor Service
Local Bus Operators include:
Northern Rivers Buslines
Wallers Bus Co.
Nimbin-Byron Bay Shuttle Bus
Northern Rivers Buslines
Late Night Shuttle
Lismore is a more residential town than its coastal neighbours. It is surrounded by very pretty coastal hinterland, and it is worthwhile taking one of the scenic drives around the area. It is in some ways the administrative centre of the Northern Rivers region. It has the main hospital, fairly large courthouse, as well as a university and a shopping centre.
The Wilsons River runs through town, however like many inland rivers in Australia it is brown in colour due to sediment, so some people may not wish to swim in it. The water is safe for swimming. Hector, the freshwater crocodile, once escaped from a travelling show and made his home in the river, but he hasn't been sighted since the floods of 1974.
If you don't feel like swimming, there is a riverside park by the bridge.
For the kids there are numerous activities available to keep them occupied and if you happen to be here during school holidays why not drop into the visitor information centre and pick up a school holiday pack full of great things for the kids to do.
- Heritage Park Miniature Train and Children's Playground, situated next door to the Lismore Visitor Information Centre has state of the art play equipment guaranteed to excite even the most bored child. And if thats not enough then they can try out the miniature train that runs around the park for 2 laps, costing $2 child and $8 group tickets, suitable for all ages even the big kids. The Train is open Saturday and Sundays 10AM - 4PM, Thursdays and Public Holidays 10AM - 2PM, and at varied times during school holidays. The playground is open all hours with barbeque facilities, toilets are located underneath the visitor centre and are all accessible by wheelchair.
- Skate Parks: Lismore has 2 skate parks for the skateboarding enthusiast: Riverside Park/Skate Park located in Victoria street (overlooking the Wilsons River) contains a large streetscape, fun boxes, grind poles and steel half pipes. Goonellabah Skate Park located in Oliver Avenue (Goonellabah) features ledges, a small bowl, flat bars and a pole jam.
- Lismore Roller Skating and Putt-Putt Golf
- Koala Care Centre
- Lismore Shopping Square:
Lismore is right at the heart of some of the best local markets you will find in the whole of Australia. Which ever day you are in the Lismore area there is bound to be a market on somewhere in the close proximity.
- Lismore Farmers Market: great for fresh and local produce in the area. Held at Lismore Showground, North Lismore; every Saturday from 8AM - 11AM.
- Lismore Produce Market: come along and sample some of the regions local produce direct from the growers and makers themselves. Every Thursday evening from 3:30PM - 6:30PM in Magellan Street, Lismore.
- Lismore Organic Market: for everyone who likes their produce fresh and pesticide free. Every Tuesday 7:30AM - 11AM at the Lismore Showground, North Lismore.
- Lismore Car Boot Market: the modern day version of a flea market complete with second hand goods (including vintage, retro and antique), live music, buskers, local produce, food vendors (pasta, curries, pancakes, hot dogs, coffee and cake, and many more). Held on the 1st and 3rd Sunday of every month from 8AM - 2PM underneath Lismore Shopping Square, Uralba Street, Lismore. This is an all weather event.
- Lismore Makers Market:
Goanna Bakery & Cafe
Henry's Bakery Cafe
Fire in the Belly
Thai Satay Hut
Miss Lizzie's Restaurant
Banzai Japanese Restaurant
The Bank Cafe
Lismore Pie Cart
La Baracca Espresso Bar and Trattoria
Mary Gilhooleys Irish Pub
Lismore Workers Club
The Richmond Hotel
The Rous Hotel
The Tattersalls Hotel
Hotels & Motels
- The New Olympic Hotel
- The Gateway Motel & Restaurant
- The Bounty Motel
- Aza Motel
- Dawson Motor Inn
- Centrepoint Motel
- Lismore City Motor Inn
- Karinga Motel
- Sisley's Motel
- The Lismore Wilson Motel
- Invercauld House
Caravan & Camping
- Lismore Centra Tourist Park
- Lismore Palms Caravan Park
- Roadrunner Caravan Park
- Lismore Lake Holiday Park
Retreats, Hideaways and Bed & Breakfasts
- Havan's Eco Retreat
- Anna's Retreat
- Imogen's Farm
- Melville House
- PJ's Bed & Breakfast
- Terania Creek Bed & Breakfast
- The Shed
- Anna's Retreat
- Suzanne's Hideaway
- Valleydale Cottage
- Nightcap National Park
- Rocky Creek Dam
- Border Ranges National Park
- Wollumbin/Mt Warning National Park
- The Channon Craft Market: being one of the best and longest running (30 years old) with over 250 stalls each month featuring a wide variety of arts, crafts, hippie handy crafts, second hand goods, childrens activities (candle making, bouncy castle, donkey and miniature horse rides), local produce, live music & buskers, and alfresco dining that will set your mouth watering from breakfast all the way up to afternoon tea. The Channon Craft Market is held on the second Sunday of every month from 9AM - 3PM at Coronation Park, The Channon. Weather permitting.