Logan (West Virginia)West Virginia. The town was chartered in 1852 as Aracoma, after the daughter of a Shawnee chief, and renamed in 1907 after the Mingo chief Logan. The area around Logan (specifically Williamson) was home to the famous Hatfield-McCoy feud, which started with a dispute about the ownership of a pig and escalated until over a dozen members of the two families had been murdered. The Hatfield family was from West Virginia (the McCoys being just across the border in Kentucky), and the family patriarch, William Anderson aka Devil Anse, is buried in the area.
Logan is situated on WV-10, just east of US-119 which runs between Charleston and Pikeville, Kentucky.
- Hatfield Cemetery, WV-44 near Sarah Ann. Approximately 100 yards up a steep hillside from the main road is the Hatfield family cemetery. The highlight of the burial ground is the grave of "Devil Anse" Hatfield, which is marked with a life-sized Italian marble statue that he commissioned in 1920 for $3500.
- Chief Logan State Park, 304-792-7125, . A 4,000-acre park with campground, restaurant, outdoor amphitheater, and wildlife center. Visitors can hike 18 miles of trails, enjoy the swimming pool with waterslide, and play tennis or miniature golf. The park hosts performances throughout the warmer months, including "The Aracoma Story" about Aracoma, and Civil War re-enactments. Campground is open March to November, with 25 units, $23/night. Admission to pool $4.50, for miniature golf $3.
Hatfield and McCoy TrailsOpen daily, sunrise to sunset. Over 500 miles of trails available for ATV riding. Yearly permits are Va. resident-$26.50 and Non-resident-$50.00.
- Chapmanville Apple Butter Festival, Chapmanville High School in Chapmanville, 304-855-4582. Held one weekend in late September. Apple butter making, merchandise booths, food and live entertainment.
- The local paper is the Logan Banner, 435 Stratton Street, 304-752-6950, . Daily newspaper published since 1888.
Chirico's Ristoranteaddress: 24 Main AvenueTraditional Italian-American dishes.
Fat Jacksaddress: 97 Justice AvenueExcellent barbecue, catfish sandwiches.
Giovanni's Pizzaaddress: 617 Main AvenuePizza, spaghetti and sandwiches.
Morrison's Drive Innaddress: 126 Stollings AvenueBurgers, hot dogs and onion rings.
address: 105 Nick Savas DriveAppetizers, salads, soups, steaks, chicken, ribs and chops, fish, burgers and sandwiches, and desserts.
Aracoma Hoteladdress: 201 Main Street
Best Western Logan Innaddress: 2 Central AvenueIn Chapmanville. Heated indoor pool, exercise facility. Gift shop on-site. Complimentary continental breakfast.
Holiday Inn Express Hotel and Suitesaddress: 101 George Kostas Drive69 rooms. Indoor pool and spa, fitness center. Complimentary breakfast.
The Manor Hausaddress: 575 Main Street
address: 201 Second Avenue32 rooms. $49 - $59. We stayed here on a recent visit.the place was NASTY!! Mold on the walls in the bedroom, chair upholstery was stained, moldy grout in the floor in the bathroom and around the tub. SCARY!!! Sleep in your car before staying here!!
- Rodeway Inn Chapmanville, WV-10 and US-119 in Chapmanville.
Super 8 Motelphone: +1 304-752-8787address: 316 Riverview Avenue59 rooms.