Lorton is a census-designated place (CDP) in Fairfax County, Virginia. This article also covers the nearby areas of Fort Belvoir and Mason Neck.
Lorton is the northern terminus of the Amtrak Auto Train which carries passengers and automobiles between Sanford, Florida and Lorton, effectively serving as a car-rail link from the Washington, D.C. Metro Area to Orlando. is located on 8006 Lorton Rd. The station, which opened in 2000, features a large waiting area with high glass walls, a small gift shop, snack bar, and a children's playground. There is one long low level platform designed for Auto Train boarding and 6 vehicle ramps for boarding vehicles onto the 20+ autoracks that are on the Auto Train. Lorton is also served by Virginia Railway Express (VRE) which has runs commuter trains from Washington, D.C and Fredericksburg. Confusingly, VRE does not share station with Amtrak but uses the , located on 8990 Lorton Station Blvd, about a mile north.
By busVamoose Bus, a privately owned company, provides daily transportation to/from the Lorton VRE Station parking lot and Penn Station in New York City.
Historic landmarks include:
Gunston HallThe Colonial estate of George Mason, author of the Virginia Declaration of Rights.
- Pohick Church with George Washington's box
- Belvoir which was George Fairfax's home, and now Fort Belvoir Army Corps of Engineer base
- Cranford Church
- Woodlawn Plantation
- Mt. Vernon, George Washington's Home on the Potomac River lie just to the North.
- Pohick Bay Regional Park
National Museum of the United States ArmyPlanned to open in 2020
- Lazy Susan Dinner Theatre, 10712 Richmond Highway. Phone: (703) 494-6311.
Gunston Plaza Shopping Center is the largest shopping center in the vicinity. The plaza includes a medical clinic, space for several business offices, grocery, restaurants, gymnasium, a senior citizen's center, and a number of shops and the post office.
It's a little known fact that Lorton is the headquarter city for Five Guys, a nationally-recognized hamburger/hotdog chain with locations all over America.
- Gennaro's Restaurant, 8170 Silverbrook Road, Phone: 703-690-7901.
- Hong Kong Cafe, 9441 Lorton Market Street, Phone: (703) 372-1577.
- Polo Grill Restaurant & Tap Room, 7784 Gunston Plaza. Phone (703) 550-0002. CLOSED. Now International House of Pancakes.
Las Colinas Restaurantaddress: 7718 Gunston Plaza, Lorton, VirginiaOutstanding Mexican food.
address: 9000 Lorton Station Blvd, Lorton, VA 22079Good but pricey food.
- Skinifatz Restaurant & Nightclub, 10712 Richmond Highway. Phone: (703) 550-9252.
phone: +1-703-643-3100address: 8180 Silverbrook RoadComplimentary shuttle service to and from Springfield Metro station, free daily hot breakfast and free internet access.
- Boneyard Inn, 5941 Kentia Trail. Phone: (703) 550-9022.
- Hunter Motel & Restaurant, 8100 Loisdale Road. Phone: (703) 339-5400.