Los MochisSinaloa, Mexico.
Los Mochis is a port city on the eastern coast of the Sea of Cortez. Its main interest for tourists is as a transportation hub. Los Mochis has an airport, ferry docks for transport across the Sea of Cortez to Baja California. It is best known as one of the two terminus points for the Chihuahua al Pacifico Railway (El Chepe) the magnificent train ride through the rugged Copper Canyon.
Los Mochisa small airport serving a limited range of destinations. Most flights are on small regional jets or turboprops.
- Los Angeles (LAX), 1 daily flight on Delta
- Mexico City (MEX), 2 daily flights on Aeromexico
- Guadalajara (GDL), 2 daily flights on Aero California, 1 daily flight on Alma
- La Paz (LAP), 3 daily flights on Alma, 1 daily flight on Aero California
- Hermosillo (HMO), 1 daily flight on Aeromexico
- Tijuana (TIJ), 1 daily flight on Aero California, 1 daily flight on Alma
By trainThe Chihuahua al Pacifico Railway is one of the world's most spectacular train trips. The trip between Los Mochis and Chihuahua is about 14 hours each way. First class (express) trains leave each end point at 06:00 and the second class (tourist) train leaves one hour later. The first-class and second-class trains are essentially the same, except that the express stops less and is twice as expensive.
The real scenery starts at El Fuerte. Stand on the western side and travel uphill to Creel or Chihuahua. Hang out in the few open vestibules with your camera -- the uphill scenery is fairly splendid for at least two of the seven or nine or twelve hours of the journey. On the downhill run, put yourself in the club (bar) car, where you can stretch out in a modicum of comfort. Consider splitting the long train journey in half by spending a night or two in Creel, for instance.
By boatFerry boats run between La Paz and the Topolobampo docks. The ferry transports both passengers and vehicles, though there has been talk of restricting RVs. Since privatization fares are increasing very rapidly, about US$80 (salon class).
- AGA Rent a Car, Av. Camaron Sabalo #312-A, Zona Dorada, . AGA Rent-A-Car has been renting vehicles to travelers and local renters since 1989. Their first location opened in Mazatlan, Sinaloa, Mexico and they have since expanded to serve Los Mochis and Culiacan, with locations at the airport and in town.
- Go to Guaymas, a beautiful beach and port stopover