LugojTimiș County, Banat, Romania.
Lugoj was once a strongly fortified place and of greater relative importance than at present. In August 1849 it was the last seat of the Hungarian revolutionary government, and the last refuge of Lajos Kossuth and several other leaders of the Revolution prior to their escape to the Ottoman Empire.
In modern times, it was the home town of famous Dracula actor Bela Lugosi. Lugosi's real family name was Blasko; the stagename Lugosi is the adjective form of Lugos, the town's Hungarian name.
By trainFrom Lugoj the trains are leaving to Timișoara Nord station, Sibiu station, Caransebeș station, Bucharest Nord Station and other Romanian cities. One of the trains is going to Belgrade. Check timetables here
By carTimișoara is 60 km from Lugoj, Caransebeș 40 km, and Deva is 100 km from Lugoj. To get to Lugoj from Timișoara and Caransebeș you must take E 70 road. From Deva you must take E 68 and you must take left at Săcămaș on E 68A(E673) road to Făget.
By planeYou can fly in to Timișoara airport, 50 km from Lugoj.
St. Nicholas TowerTower - bell St. Nicholas is the oldest Lugoj vestige and belonged to the former church -monastery St. Nicholas, built in the fourteenth and fifteenth century.
Assumption Orthodox ChurchIt is one of the most impressive baroque buildings in Banat. It was built between 1759-1766, founded by Gabriel Gurean, and was declared a historical monument. The church is a large building: length 42 m, width 21.5 m, 15.7 m height to dome vaults, iconostasis without canopy height of 9.3 m. The total height reaches 57 m. In the space with great acoustics of the church, the famous chorus "Ion Vidu" of the Lugoj Culture House supports traditional annual Easter concert.
Joseph Constatin Drăgan SquareThe market is positioned between Iron Bridge and City Hall.It is tangent with Andrei Saguna st. and named after the businessman and philanthropist Joseph Constantin Drăgan. The imposing structure of the market is the Greek Catholic Cathedral, built in classical style between 1843 to 1854. Each year the Lugoj Day is celebrated on December 20, recalling that in December 1989 Lugoj was the second free city in Romania.
Iron BridgeIron Bridge, a symbol of Lugoj, was inaugurated in August 1902, replacing the old wooden bridge, demolished a year earlier. By building the bridge, the two sides of Timis have been systematized. For 35 years, it represented the only possible river crossing. To build the bridge, over 185 tons of iron were brought from Resita. The huge amount of metal was transported using carts pulled by oxes
Old PrefectureThis building was built between 1843 -1859 and served as administrative head of county Severin (1860-1880) and Caras-Severin (1881-1926), and the Prefecture of Severin County (1927-1948). It is a monumental building that closes the east side of Joseph Constantin Dragan Square. The façade is imposing, sober, with aspects of neoclassical architecture. Over time, the interior was much altered, while preserving intact interior stairways and the floor, which were made of massive tree trunks.
Romano-Catholic ChurchBetween 1718 and 1723, on the left bank of the Timis River, about 300 m from the river, the new city (German Lugoj), was built the monastery Convent of the Order of St. Francis of Assisi. The building which exists today, much altered, was built between 1733-1735 by the monks. The first tower was built on 16 pillars of oak. In 1805 rose the second tower and then the church gets all four bells. In 1828 the clock tower was installed and the organ dates from 1832.
History, Ethnography and Fine Art MuseumThe building was built between 1898 - 1899, with an imposing façade, decorated with taste and refinement in baroque style. In the center of the roof rises a truncated pyramid and above a small dome which is finished with a kind of flag. The nearly 65,000 objects stored in the museum and its storage offers visitors extensive opportunities to know the history, culture and civilization of these lands.
Old Post InnCoach station on the way to Transylvania, the building was erected on the ruins of a building that existed since the 16th century.
City HallThe building was built between 1903-1905, for the financial direction of the Caras-Severin County and, later, the Severin County (1927), part of the Imperial Treasury. It is a monumental building, neoclassical-style, with basement, ground and two floors.
- Spring of Miron Monastery is situated at the foothills of Poiana Rusca Mountains, 1 km from the road leading from Românești to Tomeşti. Also called "Hot Pond", because inside is a thermal water spring, with a constant temperature of 18°C.
- Muntele Mic. At about 22 km from Caransebes, to the east, take the scenic road DJ 608A through the villages Zervesti, Turnu Ruieni, Borlova and reach lift station Craiu Valley (773 m altitude). Here, lift with a length of 3492 m (the longest route in the country) allows a rapid climb. Access to the resort can be done on a paved road about 13 km. In July 1936, the monument Banat heroes of the struggle for reunification was inaugurated. In the same period rose also the Skete of St. Elias. Maramures style church was built of pine beams and is covered with shingles.
- Surduc Lake. Dam construction began in 1972. The lake's main purpose is to provide drinking water to Timişoara area and defending against floods. With an area of 460 hectares, Surduc is the largest lake in Timis county. Fishing is permitted throughout the lake area and at any time except prohibition. Existing fish are carp, crucian carp, pike, bream.
- Românești Cave. Românești cave is the second largest in Timiș county,it is located southeast of the Românești village, the left side of the Fărăşeşti Valley, Poiana Ruscă Mountains. Part of the medium category caves, with a total development of 1,450 m, it is arranged horizontally on 3 levels. The main entrance is oriented N-NW, is 9.5 m wide and 2 m high, which allows diffuse light to about 70 m. In the Bats Hall you can find a permanent colony of bats. Upper and middle floor is of fossil nature. Floor below, subfosil nature, is accessible only to speleologists with equipment.The cave is famous for its great acoustics. Since 1984, Speotimiş Speleological Association has organized the traditional annual concert that takes place in October.
- Semenic Tourist complex is at 1400 m altitude. Access by car is on the road Văliug - Gărâna to Prislop, and from there, right, after 5 km to reach the Semenic plateau.The complex comprises over 19 huts, a restaurant and large central sites developed as ski and sledges slopes.Between Semenic and Goznei peaks the first giant slalom (elevation 140 m) with a modern ski-lift is arranged.Pleasant climate, pure air recommend Semenic tourist complex as a perfect place for relaxing, hiking and sports, both winter and summer.
Restaurant Daciaphone: +40 256 352 740address: Str. A. Mocioni, Nr. 7
Baldiosphone: +40 256 358 358address: Str. Caransebesului, Nr. 89
Unionphone: +40 256 351 204address: Str. Andrei Saguna, Nr. 1
Acapulcophone: +40 256 350 353address: Str. Coloman Walisch, Nr. 2
Pescarusulphone: +40 256 356 470address: Calea Timisorii, Nr. 157
Siandophone: +40 256 359 967address: Str. Al. Mocioni, Nr. 17
Restaurant Tivoliphone: +40 256 359 367address: Str. A.C. Popovici, Nr. 3
Flamingoaddress: Str. N. Pongracz, Nr. 26
Ana Lugojanaphone: +40 256 353 060address: DN 68A, km 9
Restaurant Domacrisphone: +40 256 357 981address: Str. Narciselor, Nr. 2
Magic Conceptphone: +40 723 765 000address: Str. Banatului, Nr. 17
Matconaddress: Piata J. C. Dragan, Nr. 2
Pizza Zuchiniphone: +40 256 336 236address: Str. 20 Decembrie 1989, Nr. 36
Superaddress: Piata J.C. Dragan, Nr. 2
Blue Nightphone: +40 256 352 733address: Str. Bucegi, Nr. 2
Zodiacaddress: Str. N. Balcescu, Nr. 10
Top Onephone: +40 256 359 920address: Str. P. Norbert, Nr. 26
Tabooaddress: Piata J. C. Dragan, Nr. 1
phone: +40 256 355101address: Str. Timisorii, Nr. 121A(add VL)
Concordiaaddress: Str. Dunarii, Nr. 6
Disco-Planetaddress: Str. N. Balcescu, Nr. 1
Night & Dayaddress: Str. Anisoara Odeanu, Nr. 9
MS & Dartsaddress: Str. Nicolae Balcescu, Nr. 6
New Yorkeraddress: Str. Anisoara Odeanu, Nr. 9
Hotel Sperantaphone: +40 744621503address: Str. Buziasului nr. 33 AAccommodation facilities: fax, internet cable, parking, kitchen access, payment card, safe at reception, bar, restaurant, conference room Room facilities: refrigerator in room, hairdryer, bath tub, rooms with balcony, central heating, air conditioning, private bathroom, TV room.
Pensiunea Alexix Nottephone: +40 733 992 939address: Str. Banatului nr. 17Accommodation facilities: fax, wireless Internet, pets, parking, jacuzzi, room service, pay by card, dining room, bar, restaurant, conference room. Room facilities: Internet in room, bath tub, jacuzzi room, central heating, air conditioning, private bathroom, TV room.
Pensiunea Romantiquephone: +40 256 353 088address: Str. Jabarului nr. 82Accommodation facilities: fax, wireless internet, cable internet, parking, jacuzzi, room service, terrace, bar, restaurant, conference room. Room facilities: Internet in room, refrigerator in room, hairdryer, bath tub, jacuzzi room, central heating, air conditioning, private bathroom, mini bar in room, TV room.
Hotel Dacia 3
Hotel Timiș 2
Hotel Tivoli 3
PhoneLugoj's area code is 256 for Romtelecom or 356 for RDS. If you dial from Romania you must dial first 0256 (0356) and if you dial from abroad you must dial +40256 (+40356).
InternetYou can find some internet cafes in Lugoj.
- Recaș is a town situated 37 km from Lugoj and 21 km from Timişoara, on the national road DN6 (European E70). You can visit Recaş Cellars,the hills with vineyards and you can participate in wine tastings.
- Buziaș is town located 23 km from Lugoj and 30 km from Timişoara, on DJ592 county road. In Buziaş you can visit the Resort Museum and Dendrological Park, with an area of 20 hectares and many rare species of trees.