Lumut is a small town in Perak, on the west coast of Malaysia, almost exactly halfway between Kuala Lumpur and Penang. It is the gateway to the island of Pangkor.
- Kuala Lumpur - very frequent departures (several per hour at peak times) between 07:30 and 01:00 - typical fare 18 ringgit, about 4 hours
- Ipoh - frequent departures (at least one per hour) between 09:00 and 19:00 - typical fare 6.5 ringgit
- Butterworth/Penang - several departures daily - typical fare 19 ringgit, about 5 hours
- Other destinations with direct or semi-direct service (may go via another town, but no change of bus) include: Alor Star, Johor Bahru/Singapore, Kangar, Kelang, Kota Bharu (~30 ringgit), Kuala Perlis, Kuala Terengganu, Kuantan, Malacca, Muar, Seremban, Sungai Petani, Termeloh. For many longer-distance routes, both daytime and overnight services are available.
You can take a taxi or rental car from Kuala Lumpur or Penang (guarded car parks are available if you have your own car).
From the Lumut pier, ferries depart regularly to different parts of Pangkor Island. Fares are 14 ringgit per person, and 1 ringgit for bicycles. First departure from Lumut is at 07:00, last at 20:30. First departure from Pangkor is at 06:30, last at 20:30. Departures are at 30-45 minutes intervals, depending on the time of day, and the crossing usually takes no more than 45 minutes.
Ferries to Medan, Indonesia appear to no longer operate.
Sunset by the beach is the best thing to see in this sleepy town.
There's an abundance of typical Malaysian diners around the Pangkor ferry piers, plus a lone KFC franchise (these are normally paired with a Pizza Hut outlet, but not here).
- Nasi Briyani Ayam Madu, No 39,Jalan sultan Idris Shah (directly towards the jetty terminal, 1 mins walk from the ferry pier) - conveniently located but famous for nasi briyani ayam madu and must try dishes when you visit lumut. Fair priced with malaysian menu
- Era Restaurant, ground floor, 7&9 Jalan Raja Muda Musa (directly opposite the bus station, 2-3 mins. walk from the ferry pier) - conveniently located but other unremarkable except for the fact that it's open 24 hours. Open sided, fairly large, spacious and clean, has an entirely Malaysian menu with all mains priced between 3-4.5 ringgit.
Capri Restaurantphone: +60 5-683 3118address: 4174 Jalan Sultan Idris Shah, 32200 Lumut, PerakCapri is a western style restaurant with bit of an Italian theme which includes pizza, lasagne, chicken, salmon etc. A good selection of wines, liquors and beers are available. Free wifi.
Jook Joint Bristophone: +60 5-6836202address: PT4180 Jalan Sultan Idris Shah, 32200 Lumut, PerakWestern & Malaysian Cuisines including wine, beers and cocktails. Free wifi.
Jook Joint Baraddress: Jalan Titi PanjangBar with some pool tables.
There are a few budget Chinese hotels on Jalan Titi Panjang.
Hotel Eraphone: +60 5-68389101st floor, 7&9 Jalan Raja Muda Musa, has a very convenient location - it's directly opposite the bus station, and 2-3 minutes walk from the Pangkor ferry jetty. Prices are on the high side - 25 ringgit for a single person fan room with shared bathroom, and 60 ringgit for an air-con double with private bathroom. For 35 ringgit you get a room with two very small (shorter than normal) and very saggy beds with no blanket or top sheet, a fan, and a hole in the ceiling. Not recommended for light sleepers - the curtains are tissue thin and flashing "Christmas-tree" lights are hung outside, plus it's very noisy - as well as the busy main road traffic, there are two TVs in the ground floor restaurant (which is open 24 hours) and another in the hotel lobby, and the local mosque has loudspeakers just along the street which issue loud and lengthy calls to prayer. The shared bathrooms (only two - one male, one female - so expect queues) are grubby but serviceable, with western toilets and cold showers.
phone: +60 5-6836334address: Persiaran Teluk Batik, Teluk Batik, 32200Offers 89 accommodation rooms, all of which have air-condition, cable television, mini-bar, and private toilet and bath. Some of its amenities include restaurant, ballroom, laundry service, and wake-up call.
phone: +60 12 - 506 7575address: 9, Taman Indah Raya, 32200cheap accommodation room with good value for money
There are about a dozen mid-range hotels within a few minutes walk of the Pangkor ferry jetty, most with rates starting around 100-175 ringgit for air-con double rooms.
phone: +60 5-683 8888address: Jalan Teluk Batik, 32200 Lumut, Manjung, Perak Darul RidzuanThe hotel offers rustic air-conditioned chalets, all of which have a cable TV, a coffee/tea maker, and a private toilet and bath with hot water. Includes a restaurant that serves Asian and seafood dishes, sports equipment for kayaking, jungle trekking and fishing, and a camp ground.
- Lumut Valley Resort Condominium (LVRC) Lumut Valley Resort offers clean, secure, comfortable, affordable and yet flexible accommodation to travellers, either on business or vacations; and/or expatriates working in the vicinity of Lumut, Sitiawan, and Manjung District. Sixty two (62) units of air-conditioned furnished service apartments are available for rental either on daily, weekly, or monthly basis depending on your needs.
phone: +60 5 683 3800address: Lot 203 & 366, Jlan Iskandar Shah, 32200 Lumut, Perak Darul RidzuanThere are 150 rooms consisting of 4 VIP Suites, 6 Junior Suites, 8 Super Deluxe rooms, 66 Deluxe rooms and 66 Superior Rooms. All rooms have views to the sea. Free wifi.
phone: +60 5-685 9333address: Hala Damai 2, Jalan Damai Laut, Off Jalan Teluk Senangin, 32200 Lumut, Perak Darul RidzuanSecluded setting with plenty of facilities including a golf course. Wifi available for about RM 30 for 24 hours.
phone: +60 5-6835585Lot 3A, Lumut Waterfront Villa, Jalan Titi Panjang, open Mon-Sat 10:00-midnight, Sun+hols noon-midnight. Internet access 3 ringgit/hour.
- Fiqah Internet Cafe - NO 47 B, Jalan Sultan Idris Shah, Lumut, tel:05-6834046 open Mon-Sun 9:00 morning -midnight. Internet access RM 2.50 /hour. (this is the only Internet cafe available in Lumut)
Shops #5 (open 08:00-19:00) & #6 (open 10:00-21:00) at the bus station charge 1 ringgit/item/day.
Klinik Pergigian Ting
phone: +60 5-6928266
address: No. 9, Taman Sitiawan Maju II, Jalan Lumut, 32000 Sitiawan, Perak