MorillonMorillon is a small mountain commune in the Haute Savoie department of the French Alps. The town consists of about 500 year round residents engaged primarily in agriculture and tourist service business. It has recently gained fame as the home town of skier Antoine Deneriaz the 2006 Olympic Downhill Gold Medalist. The town has a 15th century Church that has recently been remodeled, it is also home to a number of small restaurants and a gondola that links it to the Grand Massif ski areas.
- By Road - Driving distance from Calais to Morillon 537 miles (approx 7hrs30)
- By Rail - Cluses 20km - Shuttle bus to Morillon +33 450 98 07 81 or Taxi +33 450 34 90 90 www.giffre-transports.com - Cost is 27 € daytime/midweek and 35 € nights and w/e (for 1 to 4 people).
- Airports - Geneva 55km - Shuttle bus (about 62€ per pers return children 4-12 half-price)For further information on car parking, transfers, etc : www.gva.ch/en (then select Transportation in menu).
TaxiWww.giffre-transports.com, - Cost is c € 71 daytime/midweek and c €100 nights and w/e (for 1 to 2 people) Lyon Saint-Exupery 190 km.
- Le Bourg: Around the St Christopher church (16th century) the school and Town Hall, the solid bourgeoise houses have now become commercial premises.
Skiing, both cross country and downhill are the primary winter sports in Morillon, the resort website provided in both French and English is located here: and covers the ski area in depth as well as the possibilities of linking up on skis with the surrounding areas that comprise "Le Grand Massif."
In the summer they are replaced by hiking, Mountain bicycling, golf and other adventure activities like rock climbing and white water rafting.
The Golf Highlights are
- Golf de Flaine – Les Carroz - Tel : +33 4 50 90 80 74 18 holes, length 4063m, par 63 Open 1/7-31/8, weekends only 15/6-30/6 & 1/9-30/9 Green fees (daily) 18 holes 30€, 9 holes 19€ A spectacular mountain course at an altitude of 1900m, fantastic views over the Alps.
- Practice de Golf du Lac aux Dames, Samoëns - Tel : +33 4 50 34 40 28 -- Length 150m. Open 1/7-31/8 Driving range over water + 9 hole putting green.
- Golf des Gets Tel: +33 4 50 75 87 63 18 holes, length 5264m, par 70. Open : 15/6-20/10 Green fees (daily) from 29€ to 38€, weekend passes available, Mountain golf course with a superb panoramic view.
- Golf d’Avoriaz, Morzine - Tel: +33 4 50 74 17 08 -- 9 holes, length 2923m, par 36. Open: 29/6-15/9 Green fees (daily) 21€ Mountain golf links at the entrance to the resort of Avoriaz. Superb panoramic view.
phone: +33 450 34 43 12White water, canyoning, rafting, walking, climbing, mountaineering, pot holing, via ferrata.
phone: +33 450 93 63 63White water, cano-rafting, rafting.
phone: +33 450 34 45 26All water activities
phone: +33 5 45 21 84 57All water activities, climbing, mountaineering, potholing, via ferrata.
phone: +33 450 34 16 85Canoeing, kayak, airboat, rafting, canyoning, walking, climbing, mountaineering, via ferrata.
phone: +33 450 34 95 80Paragliding
phone: +33 450 74 01 88
- Tabac The local newspaper and tobacco shop, also sells items like post cards, maps and souvenirs.
- Bakery Tiffany A typical French bakery this small chain is specific to the Vallee du Giffre and has its main production just down the road in Samoëns
- R.Roux Located in "le Messidor" at the edge of town he is the village butcher, he sells excellent local meat, prepared foods, pizzas, and pastries in the mornings.
- Kevin's Sports Also located in "le Messidor" this sports shop operates primarily in the winter months as a ski shop.
- Twinner Sports operated year round by the second local ski hero Phillipe Vernert this is the closest shop to the ski lift and one of the best in town.
There is a lively farmers market on Friday mornings in Morillon with local produce, pastries, cheeses, and meats.
- Le Potet across the river in Verchaix, 10-15€ for entrées
- Le Tourne Piere locate a few meters from the center of town, 12-20€ for entrées
A wide variety of prepared take away food is also available from R.Roux at the far edge of town and the local Hyper-Markets.
- Bar Le Parisian - this bar is centrally located across from the church, it is a full service bar run by the Wife of the Current Mayor (2006)
- Le Puzze - Located just across from the telecabin this bar is popular with English tourists and serves a limited lunch and dinner menu.
- Le Tomawack - The only club in the village. This was a Discotech located next to the river and was frequented by locals and tourists alike in the area. With prime operating hours between 12-5am on Friday and Saturday nights it was not to be missed. Unfortunately this has recently burnt down.
SplurgeLocated Down the Valley in Samoëns:
Hotel Neige et RocA three star rated hotel located on the north end of Samoëns, open year round and providing both hotel and apartment style accommodation. Rooms start at 120€ in the low season for a half board room and rising to 160€ in the high season for that same room
phone: +33 4 50 90 10 32Hotel le Morillon - Mr et Mme JOURDAN 74 440 MORILLON - They have recently completed a renovation including expansion of the pool area and the inclusion of a heated spa for those cold winter days after skiing. Rooms can be reserved online, in typical French fashion food will be included as part of the price unless other wise specified by you. Prices here range from a very reasonable 55€ a night in the low season up to approximately 90€ in high season.
Chalet RentalsThere are a number of very reasonable Chalets and apartments that can be booked by the week or month.