New Philadelphia, called New Philly by locals, is a small town and county seat of Tuscawaras County (which means "mouth of river") in northeastern Ohio. Its twin city, Dover, is immediately to the northwest and the two towns generally operate as one. In the early 1800s, the town was settled by pioneers, primarily immigrating from the Susquehanna Valley in the State of Pennsylvania.
- Canton Regional Airport (CAK) is straight shot up I-77, approximately 30 miles.
- I-77 provides direct access to New Philly via the exit at SR-39.
Main Street New PhiladelphiaLike many small towns in the 1970s and 80s, Downtown New Philly's businesses suffered with the advent of several enclosed shopping malls in the New Philly/Dover area. However, New Philly is experiencing a major revitalization of its downtown. New Philly's downtown was actually laid out as a replica of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The New Philly post office is also a replica of Independence Hall.
Fort Laurens State Memorialphone: +1 330-874-2059address: located in Bolivar (Tuscarawas County) on County Road 102 about 1/2 mile south of State Route 212. Exit I-77 at State Route 212Built in 1778 in an ill-fated campaign to attack the British at Detroit, a park commemorates the location and an outline of the fort remains along with archaeological artifacts.
phone: +1 330-339-3391address: 330 University Dr NE
New Philadelphia High Schooland Quaker Stadium provided the famous college football coach, Woody Hayes, his first head coaching job. Hayes would go on to coach at Miami University in Oxford (where he coached his future arch-rival Bo Shembechler of University of Michigan fame) before building his legendary career with the NCAA Big Ten Conference, Ohio State University Buckeyes in Columbus.
phone: +1 740 622-9310Coshocton.
Schoenbrunn Villagephone: +1-800-752-2711, +1 330 339-3636A preserved missionary village built by the Moravian Christian sect to convert Delaware Native Americans
Cy Young Museumaddress: 221 W. Canal StNewcomerstown. Honors the legendary baseball pitcher, the namesake of the awards presented to the best pitcher in the American and National Baseball Leagues each year.
address: Tuscora ParkTalent show, parade, classic car show, queen's pageant, 5K run, plate auction, midway, nightly band show. 4th of July weekend.
address: 161 Tuscora AveNW. A park for all ages, including an antique carousel (1928) and other rides for the kids, swimming facilities, a duck pond and relaxing environment for a romantic stroll or picnic. Note the adjacent high school football stadium, named in honor of legendary football coach, Woody Hayes, a former coach of the New Philadelphia High School Quakers.
Schoenbrunn AmphitheaterSee Trumpet in the Land and The White Savage. Dramatizing the stories of the Moravian Delaware Tribe, the great chief Tecumseh and the short-lived triumphs and long-felt tragedies that took place during the settlement of the Old Northwest Territory with the peaceful settlement of Schoenbrunn followed by reciprocal massacres at Big Bottom and Gnadenhutten, serving as the locations for the tipping point in early American - Native American relations.
Ohio and Erie CanalThe canalway extends from Cleveland down through the Cuyahoga Valley National Park, Akron, Canton, New Philadelphia, Bolivar and Historic Zoar Village in Tuscarawas County. Hiking, biking and horseback riding.
- Canoe the Tuscawaras River.
- Holmes County for Amish furniture and goods.
- Sugarcreek for antiques, crafts, cheese and items of Swiss and German American heritage.
phone: +1 330 343-7513address: 327 Karl Avenue, Dover
Millers Clothing and Shoesaddress: 159 West High Ave
- Gavin's on the Square, 110 South Broadway, New Philadelphia, +1 330 343-2490. Casual eatery in the center of town with humorous art, fresh interior decor, good food, and friendly service.
- Grinders, 3003 North Wooster Avenue, Dover, +1 330 602-3083.
Dennison Yardaddress: 313 Center St
The Pros Tableaddress: 878 E High AveSurf-n-turf, Pasta
Uncle Primo'saddress: 435 Minnich Ave Nw
address: 127 South Broadway27 beers on tap, open 365 days a year
address: 110 Ashwood Lane
- Several choices of national brand motel chains along SR-39 just east of I-77.
Burr Oak State Park Lodge
phone: +1 330-339-7000address: 1299 West High AvenueFree hot breakfast and free WiFi.
Bed & Breakfast
Historic ZoarZoar was a communal village for 80 years. The historic town is a charming getaway with a handful of quaint B&Bs.
phone: +1-800-287-1547, +1 330 874-2600address: 121 East Second Street
phone: +1 330 874-3181address: 214 Main Street
phone: +1 216-927-3700address: 160 Third Street
Enchanted Pines Bed & Breakfastaddress: Bolivar
Wild Horses Bed & Breakfastaddress: Bolivar
Whispering Hills Bed & Breakfast Retreataddress: Dover / Zoarville
Olde World Bed & Breakfastaddress: Dover
- Amish Country centered in Holmes County.
- Atwood Lake Resort for swimming, fishing, boating, sailing, hiking, golfing and more.
- 90 minutes from three big cities: Cleveland, Columbus, and Pittsburgh, PA.
- Cuyahoga Valley National Park, drive north up the Ohio and Erie Canal Byway that extends to Lake Erie in Downtown Cleveland from Historic Zoar and Bolivar, through New Philadelphia and Dover, and beyond Canton and Akron.
- Historic Zoar Village
- Wayne National Forest