The North Sea is a body of water surrounded by the following countries:
- Norway – Vestlandet
- Denmark – separating it from the Baltic Sea
- Germany – the states of Schleswig-Holstein and Lower Saxony, also with ports at Bremerhaven and Hamburg.
- France – with a port of entry at Calais.
- England – a part of the United Kingdom, with a port of entry at Dover.
- Scotland – a part of the United Kingdom
There are sizeable islands and archipelagos around the edges of the North Sea, including the Orkney, Shetland and Frisian Islands. The Norwegian coast is famous for its fjords.
Crossing the North Sea is possible with a number of UK east coast ferry routes.