Oberammergau is in the German state of Bavaria. It is famous for its Passion Play every 10 years as well as the "Luftmalerei" (when they paint mural-type illustrations on their houses and buildings).
You can also reach Oberammergau by car: go south from Munich and take the Autobahn A-95 south to the Ettal exit. From there on the B-23 to Oberammergau.
- Most of the buildings in Oberammergau have beautifully detailed murals on them, mostly of Biblically significant tableaux.
- There is one beautiful Catholic church in Oberammergau built in a baroque style. Although Oberammergau is known for being a Catholic town there's also an Evangelical Church.
phone: +49 8822 740address: Kaiser-Ludwig-Platz 1, EttalA beautiful Abbey, School, Boarding School, and believe it or not a brewery.
phone: +49 8822 92030address: Linderhof 12, Ettalone of King Ludwig II's dream castles. Known by being one of the few finished castles the King actually used (at least as a holidays residence).
Kreuzigungsgruppea monument in the Oberammergau Mountains. The monument was a present from King Ludwig II, after witnessing the town's Passion Play in 1870.
- Take a tour near Oberammergau in Linderhof Castle.
- Walk the 7km walk to the village of Ettal to visit the fantastic, working monastery that still operates its own brewery.
- Every 10 years, the is performed. The next performance will be in 2020, but you can also visit the Passion Play theater where you can take a tour, in which many different aspects of the play are explained. The tour is usually available from May to October, Tu-Su 10AM, 10:30AM, 11:30AM, 12PM, 12:30PM, 2PM, 3PM, 3:30PM, 4PM, 4:30PM, 5PM. The tour is also available on Mondays during the Holidays.
There are two kinds of wooden clocks that can be purchased, the first is a cuckoo clock (which may vary in size and price) and the second one is a Bavarian clock, which goes in the opposite sense of conventional clocks with the inscription "In Bayern gehen die Uhren anders" (In Bavaria the clocks run differently).
phone: +49 8822 945777address: Daisenbergerstraße 3a Mexican restaurant
Kino Cafea movie theater with a café. If you're young and just want to relax among young people you should go, you'll find any kind of cocktail you want and also some good food.
phone: +49 8822 4114address: Malensteinweg 10Backpacking travelers may want to check out. It has 29 rooms, conference rooms, winter sport equipment rental, and you can have breakfast (buffet), lunch (buffet), dinner and packed lunches in the hostel (they will take into consideration the nutritional requirements of different cultures and religions, if such requirements are cleared when the booking takes place). The hostel closes over the winter, so check whether it is open when you plan to go.
phone: +49 8822 948740address: Ettaler Str. 55 star hotel. restaurants with local food, has a very nice atmosphere too.