PienzaVal d'Orcia region of Tuscany, Italy.
Pienza, formerly the village of Corsignano, was renamed and redesigned as a completely planned Gothic town, in honor of and at the command of the most famous of all its inhabitants in history, Pope Pius II (1405-1464; reigned as Pope starting in 1458). Its Centro Storico is a UNESCO World Heritage site. UNESCO's listing for Pienza can be seen at this link.
Buses run from Montepulciano (8 per day, 30 minutes), Montalcino (10 per day, change to line #114 in Torrenieri, lengthy changing time) and Siena (SITA runs several, though the number varies by season, 1 hour 15 minutes travel time; however, the latest bus returning from Pienza always leaves at 14:44).
Walk. There's no need for public transit in this compact town.
- Piazza Pio II A grand & elegant square, surrounded by the city hall, with its bell tower, & the Piccolomini family palace
- Duomo It dominates the Piazza, with a fine interior & beautiful windows
Palazzo Piccolominiphone: +39 0578-749-071Once home of Pius II & the Piccolomini family, it can be visited with a 30 minute guided tour. €3.50, open Tu-Su 10:00-12:30 & 15:00-18:00, closed Monday & in the winter.
- The Diocesan Museum is filled with church paintings from the 12th to 17th centuries, €4.10, open W-M 10:00-13:00 & 15:00-19:00, closed Tuesday, open only on weekends in winter, on Corso il Rossellino.
- View Terrace To the left of the church is a lane leading to a panorama of the countryside.
Tourist InformationThe office is just up the street from Piazza Pio II, open M-Sa 10:00-13:00 & 15:00-19:00, closed Sunday, you can leave your bags here.
- Market Day is Friday
Latte di LunaIt has indoor & outdoor seating.
La Taverna di Re Artuaddress: Via della RosaIt serves bruschetta and a wide variety of wine.
- Ristorante dal Falco is a modern place with outdoor & indoor seating, €6 pastas, open Saturday to Thursday 12:00-15:00 & 19:00-22:00, closed Friday, on Piazza Dante Alighieri. Telephone: 0578-749-856, open Wednesday to Monday 12:30-14:30 & 19:30-21:30, closed Tuesday, at Porta al Giglio on Via San Carlo. Telephone: 0578-748-606
phone: +39 06-68809301address: Monticchiello di PienzaFarmhouse.
- Agriturismo Terrapille It's right below Pienza on a bluff, 4 rooms & 2 apartments, pool, on route #18 towards Monticchiello. Double w/bathroom €95, Quadruple w/bathroom €160, breakfast €7.50, dinner on request for €25. Telephone: 0578-748-434 Mobile: 338-920-4470
- Oliviera Camere Six simple rooms, breakfast in room, cash only, owner doesn't speak English. Double w/bathroom €50, on Via Condotti. Telephone: 0578-748-205 Mobile: 338-952-0459
- Il Giardino Segreto Camere Six rooms with a lovely, quiet garden, Double w/bathroom €62, apartment €67, on Via Condotti. Telephone: 0578-748-539 Mobile: 338-899-5879