Sourced from Wikivoyage. Text is available under the CC-by-SA 3.0 license.
Plockton is a village on the coast of Wester Ross in the Scottish Highlands, sheltered from the west winds and popular with yacht and dingy sailors. Plockton along with Kyle of Lochalsh was the setting for the "Hamish MacBeth" TV series, aired 1995-97.
By train: four trains run M-Sat between Inverness and Kyle of Lochalsh, one on Sunday, stopping at Dingwall, Achnasheen, Stromeferry and Plockton. Buses to Skye connect with these trains at Kyle.
By road Plockton is about 7 miles north of Kyle of Lochalsh, take A890 then branch west down the coast lane. Macrae Kintail Bus 712 runs just once in the morning M-F from Corran via Glenelg, Dornie and Kyle of Lochalsh to Plockton. It immediately turns round for the return, so it's no help for day trips. The long-distance coaches to Kyle and Skye don't come via Plockton.
The village is small and pleasant to walk around.
- Plockton Harbour: The mild climate due to the North Atlantic Drift allows palm and cabbage trees to prosper. You'll probably see seals.
- Attadale Gardens are 10 miles east on A890 along Loch Carron. 20 acres of woodland, fern and Himalayan species, dotted with sculptures. They're open April-Oct daily 10:00-17:00, adult £8.
- There is plenty of opportunity for hill-walking locally.
phone: +44 1599 544306address: Harbour StreetWildlife watching trips (weather permitting) sail daily Easter to Oct, usually at 10:30, 12:00, 14:00 and 16:00. The boat Sula Mhor takes 61, with 35 places bookable. Depending on tides it may sail from the car park pontoon or the main pier.
- Lochcarron Highland Games are held in late July at Attadale Estate, along A890. The next event is on Sat 18 July 2020.
- Plockton Hotel: see Sleep listing.
phone: +44 1599 544263address: 30 Harbour St, PlocktonCoffee shop open year round daily, light lunches Tu-Sat. Restaurant Apr-Oct Tu-Su 11:30-14:30 & 17:00-21:00.
address: Innes Street, PlocktonTraditional fish & chips, chicken, Stornoway black pudding, etc. Seating outside.
- The Plockton Inn also has rooms.
- There are several B&Bs (doubles from £90) and self-catering cottages.
- Station Bunkhouse has two six-bed and two four-bed dorms. From £18 ppn; sole use £260.
The Plockton Hotelphone: +44 1599 544274address: 41 Harbour StCosy two-star with public bar and restaurant.
Duncraig CastleHotel in 19th C mansion closed for renovation until spring 2020.
From Kyle of Lochalsh cross to Skye on the toll-free bridge.