Investors from successful tourism businesses across the lake in North Macedonia and elsewhere have recently spearheaded new private investment in the hotel sector in Pogradec. Hotels are being built or renovated and refurbished, and infrastructure is promised to be improving throughout. In 2019 the mixed UNESCO World Heritage site "Natural and Cultural Heritage of the Ohrid region" was extended to also include the Albanian side of the lake.
phone: +355 696070855address: Rr. Reshit Collaku, Pallati 23, Lagja1, Pogradec
There is no railway service to and from Pogradec since 2012. The train service from and to Durres now stops in Librazhd. You will have to find additional transport from Librazhd to Pogradec. If you want to take the train, it leaves Durres once a day at 07:15, arrival time in Librazhd at 11:01. Return trips to Durres depart from Librazhd at 11:55 (arrival 15:42). Carriages are quite OK now (2011) except that all windows were broken like they were hit by bullets, so select a window where the view is best.
A faster option is to take a bus or minibus (furgon) from Tirana: the departure points of these change regularly so check with the hotel or hostel. These take 3 to 4 hours but the roads in the east are largely good. Buses cost 500 lek, while minibuses are 600 lek. Shared private taxis, if you can find one, will cost the same as furgons for a full car and often save you a headache.
It is possible to cross the border from and to North Macedonia by foot or by car to the south of Lake Ohrid, but major coaches to Ohrid town take the northern route from Tirana. There is a bus service from Ohrid on the southern route that runs, after a stop at Sveti Naum, to and from the border for 110 Macedonian denars. Although taxis ask €5, a good price (2012) from the border to Pogradec for two persons is 200 lek.
Pogradec Art GalleryIt has works from well known Pogradec painters.
Pogradec museumPogradec has a rich museum with antiques and ancient testimonials.
Old Orthodox Church
Church of "Resurrection"A newly built church.
Mosque in the Center of the townaddress: Rruga Andon Xoxa
Mosque in the hill
Lasgush Poradeci StatueStatue of renown Pogradec native poet.
Mitrush Kuteli StatueStatue of renown Pogradec native poet.
Lake side resortsVisit the numerous lake side resorts along the way (near Hudenisht) by taking a drink and enjoying the calm atmosphere and breath taking views, especially in winter.
Selca villageVisit the Lukova Lakes and monumental tombs of Selca village
Tushemisht resort villageVisit the picturesque resort village of Tushemisht next to Drilon and swim in the crystal clear water of Tushemisht's sandy beach.
Lin villageHere you can visit the archeological site on the hilltop of the village. The site was once an important settlement and fortress of the ancient Illyrian tribes that lived throughout the Lake Ohrid region. The site is mostly unexcavated, however the beautiful mosaics and exposed sections of the ancient walls give the visitor a glimpse of the hidden treasures that lie beneath your feet. The views of the lake and surrounding mountains from the hill above Lin are nice.
- Visiting Drilon, 4 km from Pogradec, is always a great pleasure.
- Enjoy the peculiar setting of a full moon being reflected on the lake while exploring the milky way and countless stars in the sky at night. In the summer you could encounter by a chance a lightning bug!
phone: +355 69 392 1501, the edge of which is 45 minutes away is full of mountains, forests and wildlife to explore.
Pogradec Beachaddress: continue with "1 Maji" promenadeIt is very popular and has a lot of sand. In the town there are several beaches, private and public with sand and little rocks. Water is very clean.
- Take a walk around the Toplec district which is often compared to Tuscany.
- Take a boat ride at the springs of Drilon, the origin of the mighty Drin river which flow into the lake here.
- Take a coffee with your jacket in the morning and go to the beach with your bathing suit in the afternoon!
- Fishermen coming at shore with their overnight catches
- Do canoeing and a boat trip in the lake
- You can walk across the lakeside in the promenade Pogradec Shetitore "1 Maji", enjoying the freshness of trees and a wonderful view. Here is a 5 km boulevard bordering the lake, where you can find bars with live music, hotels, motels, cafes, and restaurants according to traditional and modern tastes.
Pogradec cinema- Pogradec has a modern cinema where new movies are played there every day.
- Balkan Film and Food Festival
- Lake Day, an annual festival showcasing the best in traditional crafts, this event gathers the three surrounding towns of Pogradec, Struga, and Ohrid.
- Women's Artisan Exhibition is an annual craft and delicacies exhibition of souvenirs made from local women.
- Take part in the annual Wine Fest in December.
Pogradec marketYou can walk around, look, and buy souvenirs from Pogradec.
- Hand made works from artisans and paintings by local artists.
"ICKA" Handycraft- It has a good tradition in Pogradec and "ICKA" studio it is always open for you. Its works in of wood carving will impress you.
TASO Art Gallery-You can visit Anastas Kostandini studio admiring his paintings and also you can buy his works.
LAKO Art Gallery- You are welcome to visit Skender Lako studio to see his paintings and also you can buy his works.
- Try baked Korani dish (Ohrid trout, be aware that it is endangered) or baked Belushka or Jekna.
- Sip the delicious local wine. A local saying goes that Ohrid trout was born at the lake and dies in the wine.
- Pubs in Pogradec that are open every night from 20:00-03:00. They offer music and cocktails. You should be part of the fest
address: Rruga Reshit Çollaku3-star hotel, 60 rooms, 128 beds
Hotel Perlaphone: +355 684019494address: Rruga "Deshmoret e Pojskes" and Rruga Vllazerimi cnr., Lagja1,recently renovated, three star, Tel. +355 83226688, facilities Bar, Restaurant, Credit card accepted, Air conditioned, Garden, Room service - 24 hour, Suitable for children, Laundry service, Multilingual staff, Tourist information, Housekeeping, TV, Meeting room, Front desk - 24 hour, Banqueting service, Private bathroom, Parking. 20 rooms of which 5 twins, 8 doubles, 3 triples and 4 suites
Hotel BelvederA two-star hotel. It has a bar and restaurant. Offers single, double, triple rooms and a suite, TV, sanitary facilities, parking
Hotel BoranaWith a traditional architecture it offers services such as a bar, restaurant, guarded parking, comfort and tranquility. 15 beds, 8 rooms, sanitary facilities, breakfast. Two-star hotel.
phone: +355 69 2096542, +355 69432799 (Mobile)address: Rruga Vilave/Shetitorja I Maji2 stars. There are 80 rooms including 8 suites. In restaurant, the fixed menu is €6/halfboard, €10/full board p.p.
phone: +355 67 4046000, +355 0 69 2080394 (Mobile)address: Lulishtja 1 Maji,
phone: +355 868 20115, +355 69 2136330address: Rruga Driloni, Tushemisht
Millenium Hotelphone: +355 868 20111address: Rruga Driloni, TushemishtSplendid. All 51 rooms with: bathroom, cable TV, minibar, terrace, air conditioning, Internet, telephone, heating system.
Vila Artphone: +355 68 2253245address: Drilon villageOnce a summer residence of the former dictator Enver Hoxha.
Small lakeside resortsaddress: VaryOne even offers camping facilities for campers.
phone: +355675000800address: Bulevardi Europa