Sourced from Wikivoyage. Text is available under the CC-by-SA 3.0 license.
Praiano is in Campania, Italy. It's a part of the world-famous Amalfi Coast, a really beautiful and quiet place. There are dozens of hotels on the steep cliffs.
By busUse the SITA bus from Sorrento Circumvesuviana train station or from Amalfi bus station. From Sorrento the trip takes 1 hour circa, from Amalfi there is a 20-minute drive.
By train/busMain train line of Trenitalia closer stations are in Naples Piazza Garibaldi or Salerno main station.
From Naples use the Circumvesuviana local train to Sorrento, trip is circa 1 hour and then continue to Praiano by SITA bus, trip is circa another hour.
From Salerno use the SITA bus to Amalfi, trip is circa another hour. the continue to Praiano, still by SITA bus for about further 20 minutes.
By boatThere is a network of ferries that run along the towns of the Amalfi Coast. The ferry service is run by Coop Sant'Andrea. They provide quicker access to the towns during the summer months, as opposed to the one main Amalfi Coast road which connects Amalfi to Praiano to Positano and onwards to Sorrento. Major ferry stops are Salerno, Sorrento, Positano, and Amalfi. In summer, there are ferry connections from Positano and Amalfi to the pretty towns of Maiori and Minori. Praiano is not serviced by ferry as there is no stable pier to dock and ultimately the marina is very shallow. Positano is the closest point for people staying in Praiano who want the ferry.
By busThe SITA bus service runs all along the Amalfi Coast (and from the main towns of Naples to Salerno).
Tourists can purchase a 24h ticket for 6 Euro or a 3 days pass for 15 Euro.
The rides are quite frequent and late evening ones are also available. During summer the service is available until midnight from Sorrento and Amalfi to Praiano.
A local bus that loops Praiano and Positano is available from spring until fall. The service is operated by the Flavio Gioia company . Tickets can be purchased on board or at the tobacconist.
Further information are available at the local efficient Praiano's tourist office, located in the centre of the village in Via Capriglione by the main Church of San Gennaro.
By scooterThere are few scooter rental companies in Praiano. This route is highly recommended if one has motorcycle experience. Though the roads are skinny at points, the drivers tend to be responsible and under control.
By footThis is the best way to enjoy Praiano walking the ancient paths that during the last millennium were built with the local stones by the village inhabitants.
- Chiesa di San Gennaro.
- Chiesa di San Tommaso, for its unique climate.
- Chiesa di Santa Caterina, on the 163 Statal Road.
- Chiesa di San Giovanni, with a wonderful floor and pipe organ.
- Chiesa SS.Annunziata, on the beach La Praia.
- Chiesa S.Maria di Costantinopoli, with a wonderful landscape.
- Chiesa S.Maria ad Castra, for the wonderful view and mystical experience.
- Relax - Praiano is an ideal village if you wish a relaxing holiday in the bustling Amalfi Coast without giving up of being in the middle of the attraction. Positano and Amalfi are at only 20 minutes drive and well connected by the Sita bus network. You can reach the village of Ravello and attend a spectacular concert driving only 35 minutes.
- Locals gather together for gossip and talking at the main church squares of San Gennaro and San Luca, especially in the evening. The young generation instead will meet at the busy bars of Vivaro, bar Sole and Fioriere to listen music and enjoy a soft drink, a red wine glass or a bier.
- Praiano has few small pebble beaches, some are only reachable by boat. The main ones are Marina di Praia especially frequented in the evening because of the famous night club L’Africana but also for the lovely restaurants and La Gavitella, the other main beach, lately becoming the most entertaining beach of the coast for his seaside lidos. The Gavitella is also one of the few beaches of the Amalfi Coast facing West meaning the best exposure to the sun rotation enjoying the longest sun light on the Amalfi Coast until 8PM during the summer period.
- Some local hotel offer cooking classes with reservation. It could be a fun experience to do if you have Italian culinary ambitions.
Local stores offer hand-made ceramics at lower prices than the neighboring towns.
Il Gusto della CostaA local limoncello manufacturer.
The proximity to the sea provides many chances to enjoy the local cuisine of the Amalfi Coast. You will see many of the restaurants heading out on their fishing boats to bring back meals for that day. The fish is fresh and the shellfish is very sweet. Be aware that some seafood items may be frozen. The menu will alert you to this. The majority of the wines are local.
phone: +39 089874628, +39 089874227address: Via Umberto I,70
- La Brace
- La Strada
Trattoria Armandinoaddress: Via Terramare 1
address: Via G Capriglione 138The Hotel Bar Le Fioriere is the only cocktail and wine bar available in Praiano town centre Relaxed atmosphere surrounded by locals in a Mediterranean architecture with arcs and floor with majolica.Lovely decorated counter The bar room and terrace is provided by Wi-Fi internet access.With good music in the background They also serve a complete breakfast (Tea, Coffees, Espresso, Cappuccino, cornetto )with fresh fruit seasonally.
- Bar del Sole, Capriglione 120 gets very lively at night. It is also sells ice cream and beer and wine to go. This seems to be the prime location to get all of the Italian bar items, including all espresso-based beverages (cappuccino, espresso, etc.) and pastries (sfogliatelle, treccine, cornetti, etc.). There is an indoor bar as well as an outdoor terrace that overlooks San Gennaro Church. This is where you will find many of the local villagers and fisherman.
address: Via Roma 52 84010A lovely hotel / bar / restaurant right on the coast with amazing views of the coast right from your room or table.
Many companies offer apartment and villa rentals, often by the week. These are terrific for those who like to travel and not depend upon the services of a formal hotel. These tend to have more charm and offer economical choices when compared to hotels.
phone: +39 089-874227, +39 089874628address: Via Umberto I, 70Has a terrace with pool, sunbathing deck and a nice view to top it of, a restaurant and private parking.
phone: +39 089 874389address: Via G. Capriglione, 13 – Cap: 84010, PraianoThe Il Pino is an economic three star hotel of Praiano with 17 bedrooms divided in twin, double and family. The bathrooms of this accommodation on the Amalfi Coast present en-suite services with shower or Jacuzzi bath. All the rooms are equipped with modern facilities and have the terrace or balcony with a fantastic sea view.
phone: +39 089 874203 or +39 089 874157Le Fioriere is in the Praiano centre a 3 stars hotel with family feeling with sea view terrace room 95 Euros for a double room with AC/Heating, bathroom and terrace with parking and breakfast included.
- Hotel Onda Verde, Via Terramare 3, Telephone +30 089 874143, +39 089 874 125 (fax: +39 089 8131049), . Hotel Onda Verde offers a stunning location with panoramic views, attentive and friendly staff and outstanding cuisine. Access to the beach, and boats to La Grotta Smeraldo and La Gavitella. The SITA bus, which connects all Amalfi coast points, stops right outside the hotel entrance.
phone: +39 089874054It mainly caters to Germans. €100 for a double room with AC, bathroom and balcony. The rooms are on small terraces, all with a beautiful view af the bay. €20 for half pension which includes a five course dinner.
Praiano Self Catering Vacation Rentalsaddress: Via Nuova Chiunzi 91Offers luxury villas and beautiful apartments for self catering vacation rental.
Praiano is on the SITA Sorrento-Salerno line, which will allow you to travel to all of the towns along the Amalfi Coast. Tickets can be purchased at any tabacchi. Remember to validate the ticket once you board the bus or else you risk the chance of being fined if you are caught without a validated ticket.