The area has a rich history, as can for instance be seen in the large number of burial mounds at Veien near Hønefoss. Halvdanshaugen (Halvdan's burial mound) on the plain near Stein (next to road E16) is one of Norway's largest.
- Hønefoss - is the city-centre. It is a busy and charming town less than an hour`s drive from Oslo. It is located north of lake Tyrifjorden, where the river Begna forms the waterfall of Hønefossen, giving the town its name. The area is rich with history and has been a natural link on the route between east and west from early times. Hønefoss has a wide range of cultural activities, especially in summertime with several musical shows.
Oslo Airport (Gardermoen) is 66 im from Hønefoss. From Oslo Airport there is the Airport Express bus to Hønefoss, named Askeladden Reiser.
The Bergen railway line meets the rails of East Norway at Hønefoss. Regular trains from Oslo via Drammen.
Distance from Oslo and Drammen is about 50 km. The roads from east, south and west meet just outside Hønefoss. Ringerike is situated along route E16, 53 km from Oslo. From Bergen it is the last natural stop before Oslo, easy to spot along E16 (424 km).
With express bus from Oslo's bus terminal, it takes 1 hour and 15 min. to Hønefoss. Timekspressen has 26 departures daily, 15 departures on Saturdays and Sundays. For time table search for buses, see Trafikanten.no
Hadeland GlassverkHadeland Glassverk is Hadeland’s greatest draw – and one of Norway's most visited tourist attractions - beautifully situated at the south end of the Randsfjord. At Hadeland Glassverk, founded in 1762, visitors can admire glass-blowers practicing their handicraft the same way as they did in the 1700s. The entire area is like a cosy village – with exciting shops and activities for the whole family.
address: Samsmoveien 41The former Kistefos Wood Pulp Mill is today an industrial museum and the only intact Scandinavian wood pulp mill. Besides presenting an important chapter of Norwegian industrial history, the museum offers annual art exhibitions by both Norwegian and international artists. Unusual location in a small river gorge.
Hringariki – Veien KulturminneparkVeien Kulturminnepark is one of Eastern Norway's oldest graveyards from 900 b.c. – 500 a.c. You see a rebuilt house, built after a model of how we thought the houses were built around year 0-200. June 2009 opens a new museum with an exciting archeological and cultural exhibition.
Ringerike's MuseumRingerike's Museum is the regional museum for the municipalities of Hole and Ringerike in Buskerud county. Many exciting exhibitions and historical artefacts. You get a comprehensive insight in history and art history of the entire region. Also includes the county photo archive. Ringerikes Museum is important both locally and nationally.
- Riddergaarden Riddergaarden is an old farm from 17.century situated down town Hønefoss. Here you can leave the noise from the city and enjoy the quietness. Open during summertime.
Kjerraten i ÅsaAround 1807 Peder Anker built a transport system for timber upwards the river from Steinsfjorden to Storflåtan in Nordmarka with a height difference around 400 meters. You can also walk along the path of the old timber-transport system. Water power was used to pull timber upphill with a system of wheels and chains. A total of 12 steps or legs was needed, each steep included a water wheel. A daring and unusual piece of engineering at the time. The system was used until around 1850. Wheel house number 5 is reconstructed and can be visited.
Halvdan’s MoundIt is claimed that one part of viking king Halvdan the Black is buried here. Halvdan’s mound is on the property of the farm Stein (do not walk into the field). On the farm you will also find ruins of a church from the middle ages (private property).
- Panorama points
- View of Ringerike and distant mountains from stop on main road
- (King's view) above Sundvollen. 1.5 km (1 mile) hike from Kleivstua hotel.
Bønsnes churchMedieval masonry church, restored from decay in the 18th century. The church which is situated close to Tyrifjorden was built around the twelfth century. According to the saga, St. Olav grew up in this area.
Hval churchaddress: HallingbyOctogonal design characteristic for Norway and the period. Wood construction, 1862
- Nes church (also octogonal design)
Norderhov churchMedieval (1170) masonry church. Cruciform design, originally standard Norwegian single nave long church. Historically the most important church in Ringerike. Many ancient objects inside the church and on the graveyard.
- Tyrifjord Cruise undefinedFrom May 1st to September 30th, you can charter a boat with skipper and crew for your arrangement. Food and beverages must be ordered prior to the arrangement. Our bar is fully licensed. Welcome on board for company outings, representations, weddings, anniversary parties, children’s parties (pirate cruise), and other arrangements. Enjoy a nice boating trip on Tyrifjorden and the river Storelva.
- Krokskogen (“The woods”) is the western part of the wide Oslo forest (Marka). The forest sits on plateau rising abruptly above the Ringerike lowlands.
- Krokkleiva is a preserved road along which artists, kings and other people have travelled for ages. It is part of the old King’s Road to Bergen, which runs through Krokskogen to Bærums verk. Signs lead you to King’s View, one of Eastern Norway’s finest views. It was named after king Karl Johan’s visit there in the middle of the 19th century.
- The Nidaros Path stretches through the entire municipality and most parts follow medieval roads. Some parts of the path follow the same route as the old King’s Road to Bergen. The path was finished and opened in 1995 during the 1000-year celebration of St. Olav, who was born in 995.
BikingRingerike has a rich network of foot, bicycle and skiing paths. In the woods of Krokskogen and Nordmarka, you find a unique bicycle terrain along winding small roads, and not the least along Kongevegen/Pilegrimsleden. Along the fjords there are also bicycling paths or roads with little traffic and you can bicycle through a nationally valuable culture landscape with beautiful fields, grazing cattle, and culture monuments such as burial grounds. Many of the culture monuments have information boards.
FishingRingerike is a popular recreation area all year round. It is an eldorado for those who enjoy fishing, especially trout and whitefish. In May/June we arrange the “gjeddefestival” (Pike Festival) and there is crayfishing in Tyrifjorden in August. Tyrifjorden, Sperillen tempt with small forest lakes where trout and perch are plentiful. You`ll also find some char. In between the culture landscape in Ringerike, there are many small lakes with good fishing. Here you can catch pike and several types of freshwater fish. Remember to buy the correct type of fishing permit. The beaches along Tyrifjorden and Sperillen are also popular places for the whole family during summer.
- Tyrifjord Golfklubb
- Ringerike Golfklubb (9 holes golf-course)
In summertime you can buy fresh strawberries from the booths along the road and in the season you can buy crayfish from the Tyrifjord as well.
In the town of Hønefoss there are several different restaurants, from gourmet to nice family restaurants. In the garden of Brasserie Fengselet you can enjoy a nice meal away from the noise from the town, even though you are in the centre of town.
Sundvolden Hotel and Klækken Hotell in the countryside offers à la carte restaurants. Sundvolden Hotel can help you with everything from an intimate table for two under the maple trees in their park, to a celebratory dinner in the Guildhall with its large open fireplaces and metre-thick stone walls dating from the eleventh century. Klækken Hotell even has its own confectioner, so you must not miss out on their cakes.
Here the hosts, through generations, have left their mark on the places. The roads from east, south and west meet in Ringerike, and the region has been a natural stop-over place for may years.
address: Kongens gate 3, HønefossHotel in the town of Hønefoss
Grand Hoteladdress: HønefossA smaller hotel in the town of Hønefoss
address: SundvollenLarge hotel at the shores of the lake beneath the big hill. Inhouse spa. Well suited for conferences.
address: Dronningveien 500Kleivstua hotel sits on top of a steep hill tall hill overlooking the Ringerike district. Unusual hotel (several small farm houses) with excellent panorama in a very peacful surrounding.