Roslagen is the coastal region of the Uppland province in Sweden, east of Stockholm and Uppsala. No longer a formal political entity, it is divided between Stockholm County, containing Lidingö, Vaxholm, Österåker, Norrtälje, and Uppsala County, containing Östhammar, Tierp and Älvkarleby municipalities.
These municipalities administer several islands of different sizes, such as Ljusterö, Blidö, Yxlan and others; these are described in the Stockholm Archipelago article.
See Stockholm/Norrort for Danderyd, Täby and Vallentuna.
The Wikivoyage articles covering Roslagen, from north to south, are
- – at the outlet of Dalälven River, considered the natural border to Norrland. The Dragon's Gate, a Chinese-themed hotel, can be found here.
- – a small town between Uppsala and Gävle.
- – famous for the Walloon iron industry and the sea-side resort Öregrund.
- – the largest coastal town in Roslagen.
- – an inner suburb of Stockholm.
- – thousands of islands and skerries scattered along the Roslagen coast.
Public transport is operated by SL in Vaxholm, Österåker and Norrtälje municipalities, and by UL in Östhammar, Tierp and Älvkarleby municipalities. Trains call at Tierp and Älvkarleby.
From Stockholm by bus from Tekniska Högskolan (Östermalm). Roslagsbanan is a rail line from Stockholm to Åkersberga.
Baltic Sea ferries from Åland and mainland Finland connect to Stockholm and Kapellskär.
Public transport is scarce, but you get wherever you want with a car. A no-cost car ferry operates between Östhammar and Gräsö.
The maritime scenery.
- Forsmark nuclear power station (Öregrund) offers some guided tours.