Sourced from Wikivoyage. Text is available under the CC-by-SA 3.0 license.
São Jorge is a village in Goias, Brazil. It's where the main entrance to the Chapada dos Veadeiros National Park is located. In São Jorge there is also the house of the autodidact artist Moacir Faria. You can see several of his murals around the village depicting sacred and profane figures. It is considered art brut.
Both in Alto Paraiso and São Jorge, there is a good cell phone signal, the local operators are: Vivo, Claro and Oi. Most pousadas offer WiFi.
The nearest convenient airport is in Brasilia, about 270 km away. You can get by bus from the 'Rodoviária interestadual' in Brasilia until Alto Paraiso. From there São Jorge is 36km away. There is no bus to São Jorge, you can get a taxi for about 60 Reais or hitchhiking is quite easy.
On foot, preferably barefoot. The closest petrol station is in Alto Paraíso de Goiás.
- Moon Valley (Vale da Lua) - Accessible through a 20 minute walk from São Jorge, it has a moonlike landscape and glimmering rocks, with two large natural pools, suitable for swimming.
For more information read the Chapada dos Veadeiros National Park.
- Trek in and near the park
- In several pousadas such as Shan Pousada and Shanti Pousada, you can do a yoga class and get a massage. Shan Pousada also has a small sauna.
- Nearby, there are hot springs, but you will need a car to get there, or you could arrange a tour with a guide.
There is no ATM in the village. The closest ATM is in Alto Paraíso de Goiás.
- Casa das Flores, Varied cuisine, good wine list and craft beers. Accepts Visa.
- Nenzinha, Well-seasoned home-cooked meal
- Papalua, Pizzas, crepes, Goiano's empanada, pastas and soups. WiFi. Accepts Visa and Mastercard.
There are several pousadas and camping in the village.
- Brasília - 230 km
- Alto Paraíso de Goiás (36 km)
- Cavalcante (123 km)
- Colinas do Sul (34 km)
- Niquelândia (114 km)
- Teresina de Goiás (100 km)