The Southern suburbs of St. Petersburg are the area south of the Obvodny Canal. Although unknown to most visitors, the area boasts gorgeous industrial architecture and magnificent Stalinist buildings, together with monotonous and rather ugly Soviet-era apartment blocks. A former industrial borough, it was the place of strikes preceding the revolution of 1917, and the scene of the siege of Leningrad during World War II.
The area is crossed by several commuter lines, most of which, unfortunately, are a little bit away from the tourist attractions. The main value of them, however, is the transport connection with the suburbs.
It's the best way to get to most places of interest south of the city.
- Line 1 From : "Baltyskaya" (Балтийская) to: "Prospekt Veteranov" (Проспект Ветеранов).
- Line 2 From : "Sennaya Ploschad" to: "Moscovskaya" (Московская), all stations are quite interesting to explore, but you can select the stations: "Moskovskie Vorota" (Московские ворота), near Moscow Triumphal Arch, and "Moscovskaya", near Cesme Church and Monument to the Heroic Defenders of Leningrad, also here you can take a transfer to the Airport. Near to: Kupchino (Купчино) could find a Children Railway and transfer to Commuter train Station
- Line 5 : "Obvodny Canal" (Обводный канал) - which is useful to the Saint Petersburg Main bus station (Avtovokzal),: "Volkovskaya" (Волковская),: "Bucharestskaya" (Бухарестская) and: "Mezhdunarodnaya" (Международная) are also interesting in this regard.
- Line 3 : runs along the left bank of the Neva River down to: "Rybatskoe" (Рыбацкое). The most interesting, with preserved industrial and working prerevolutionary buildings, are: "Elizarovskaya" (Елизаровская) and: "Lomonosovskaya" (Ломоносовская). At: Rybatskoye (Рыбацкое) and: Obukhovo (Обухово) transfer possibilities for commuter train.
phone: +7 812 323-96-76address: 19, Moskovsky prThe Main Building of VNIIM, constructed by architect F.F.Beckman in 1879, houses the memorial study room of D.I.Mendeleyev and the gallery of portraits of outstanding scientists; the sections “D.I. Mendeleyev is the Founder of Scientific Metrology”, “Russian System of Measures” and "Home Chemical Laboratory of Mendeleyev" are in the so-called “Red Building” constructed by A.I. Von-Gogen, 1897. Monument to Mendeleyev outside. Visits are organized by prior arrangement. Excursions are in Russian and English.
Russian Railway museumThe museum moved to Baltiiskiy Railway Station in 2017. Samples of railway equipment (mainly the locomotives and wagons) built in Russia and the USSR, and others made in Germany, the USA, Austria and Finland.
address: Tsvetochnaya ulitsa, (Цветочная улица Flower st), д.16Features a giant scale model of Russia, very popular, especially among children.
Moscow Triumphal Gateaddress: Moskovsky AvenueA monument of Russian victories in the wars with Turkey, Persia and Poland, in the years 1826-31. Built in 1838, it's the world's largest building made of cast iron. Architect: V.Stasov, sculptor: B.Orlovsky.
Narva Triumphal ArchThe gates are installed in memory of the heroes of the Patriotic War of 1812, and inaugurated in 1834. The arch is 30 m high, decorated with figures of warriors and chariots of Fame. Architect: V.Stasov. In the upper part of the door is a museum which is a branch of the Museum of City Sculpture.
Monument to the Heroic Defenders of Leningradaddress: Moskovskii prospektThe monument is in the center of Victory Square and is dedicated to the heroic defense and break the blockade of Leningrad. The basis of it is a 48-m-high obelisk with sculptural figures of soldiers and workers, derogatively known among locals as "The Chisel" (Stameska). On the sides are two multi-figure sculpture groups that embody the defenders of Leningrad. In the center of the open Memorial Hall, made in the form of a broken ring, there is the sculptural group "Blockade." Under the monument there's an underground memorial hall of the museum. Memorial opened in 1975. Go to the center of the square and the memorial through the underpass.
Monument to Soldiers-Internationalistsaddress: Slavi ProspektThe monument is in the correspondent park, near the intersection of Slavi Prospekt and the Bucharest street. The central part of the monument consists of two rocks, between which there is a bronze sculpture of "Warriors, rushing through the flames." On the ground in front of the monument is a sculpture of the Sorrowful Mother, ten granite slabs on which are carved the names of soldiers killed in Afghanistan, and the "eternal fire", lit from Piskarevsky cemetery. The monument was unveiled by the Council of the veterans of the war in Afghanistan "Afganvet" in 1998.
Moscow Victory ParkMoscow Victory Park is near the metro station "Park Pobedy" and covers an area bounded by streets Kuznetsovskaya, Basseinaya, Moscovski Prospekt and Yuri Gagarin Prospekt. The park area is 68 Ha. The Park features a former brick and pumice plant, which performed the role of crematorium during the siege of Leningrad. The park has a number of monuments: Monument to Marshal Georgy Zhukov, "Avenue of Heroes", "Alley of Memory," monuments "Rotunda" and "trolley", established in memory of the dead victims of the blockade and the city's defenders. The park has ponds, a former quarry, amusement park, cafes, you can hire boats, and in the winter - ice rink. Park was opened in 1946.
Aviators ParkOn the site of a former airport. In the park there is a monument to military pilots and a MIG-19 fighter.
Hero-Cities ParkHero-Cities Park covers an area bounded by the Danube Avenue, Pulkovo and Moscow highway. In the central part of the park is the temple complex. Near Victory Square, two preserved bunkers from World War II.
Internationalists ParkInternationalists park covers an area bounded by Slavi Prospekt, Southern Highway, and the Bucharest street. In the park there is the correspondent monument, the Church of St. George, a pond and a monument to the fallen soldiers of Special Forces.
Park EkateringofIt is on Ekateringofsky island, which is formed by beds of rivers Ekateringofka and Tarakanovka. The park was laid out on the orders of Peter the Great in 1711. Later a palace was built that belonged to Catherine I. Today, only the foundation of the palace is preserved. In the park there are ponds, tennis courts, rides and a so-called "Molvinskaya Column", considered to be a miniature of the Alexandrian column.".
South Seaside Victory Parkaddress: Petergofskoe HighwaySouth Seaside Park covers an area bounded by streets Marshal Zakharov, Doblesti, the Peterhof highway and the Dudergofskogo canal. The area has a large amusement park, children's playground and a café, as well as the "60 Years of Victory" fountain.
Park I.V.BabushkinaPark Grandma covers an area bounded by Farforovskaya street, Obukhov Defense avenue, and the railway. There are attractions and cafes, ice rink and tennis courts.
World War II memorials
- The monument to the soldiers of the Third Division of the Frunze militia - Slavi Prospekt, 10-1.
- Monument to Marshal Georgy Zhukov - Slavi Prospekt, 28.
- Monument to fallen soldiers - motorists - Dnepropetrovsk street, 18
- "Pulkovo Line" - 20-km. Pulkovo highway.
- The monument to the workers - the Great Patriotic War - Moscow highway, 13
- Memorials on the defensive line - Pulkovo highway, 21 th and 22 th km.
- The monument to the People's Militia of Leningrad - Letny Prospekt 34-2
- "Kirov Wave" ("Tank-Liberator") - Stachek Prospekt, 106
- "Kirov Wave" ("Green Belt of Glory") - Marshal Zhukov Prospekt, 78
- Monument to the sailors of the Baltic Shipping Company - Land Surveying channel, 5
- Monument "Blockade tram" - Stachek Prospekt, 108
- Monument to Marshal Govorov - Stachek Prospekt
- Monument Kanonertsam - soldiers blockade, workers - Kanonersky Island, 23
- "Walk of Fame" - Peterhof highway, crossing lane
- Monument "Brave Defenders of Leningrad" - Peterhof highway, crossing the street Tambasova
- Monument to the Sailors - Paratroopers - Peterhof highway, 75-2, the territory of the yacht club "Baltiets"
During World War II, on the territory of modern Nevski, Frunze, Moscow, and Kirov districts, there was a powerful line of defense of the southern outskirts of the city, called "fortified area" Izhora. It extended from the banks of the Neva to the coast of the Gulf of Finland in Avtovo. After the War, due to massive residential development in these areas, the line of fortifications was eliminated, leaving only some of the artillery pillboxes and machine-gun bunkers - only about sixty. Some of them are impromptu memorials, others are in a derelict state. The total length of the line corresponds to a line of defense around the modern Slavy Prospekt, Tipanova Street, and Leninsky Prospekt.
Warsaw Expressaddress: metro station BaltyskayaIn the former Warsaw station at Obvodny canal, d.118. In the complex there are cafes and restaurants, a cinema and an ice rink, a bowling alley, a platform for the game of curling, children playing machines, Railway Museum, and various shops.
Yuzhni Polyusaddress: Prazhskaya ulitsa, 48/50In addition to various shops, there are cafes and restaurants, a bowling alley, game machines for children.
Rainbowaddress: Prospect Cosmonauts d.14The complex has cafes and restaurants, a cinema, children's slot machines, a variety of shops. Free bus from metro station "Park Pobedy" to mall.
Rioaddress: 2 Fucika streetIn the complex there are cafes and restaurants, a cinema, children's slot machines, a variety of shops.
There are shopping malls, entertainment or shopping centers in the ground subway stations of the 5th line from the station "Obvodny Canal" to the station "Mezhdunarodnaya."
Metro "Obvodny Canal" - "Ligov" mall.
Metro "Volkovskaya" - "Radius" mall.
Metro "Bucharestskaya" - "Continent" mall.
Metro "Mezhdunarodnaya"(International) - "Mezhdunarodnii" (International) mall.
phone: +7 8 812 327-66-44address: Moskovsky Prospekt, 195АThere are other units near metro stations Narvskaya, Leninski Prospekt, Volkovskaya and Prospekt Slavi, and shopping malls.
phone: +7 8 812 373-71-73address: Moskovsky Prospekt, 222Pizza chain.
address: prospekt Narvskii 31Other units near metro stations Moskovskaya, Elizarovskaya, Volkovskaya, Park Pobedy and Prospekt Veteranov.
phone: +7 812 928-08-12address: st. Leni Golikova, 4
Pulkovophone: +7 812 740-39-00address: Pobedy Ploschad 1
phone: +7 800 333-33-70, +7 812 329-39-02, +7 812 449-67-30, +7 812 449-67-27, +7 812 329-39-32address: ploschad Chernyshevsky, 11
phone: +7 812 240-42-00address: 6, liter A, Startovaya Str.
phone: +7 812 327 10 70address: 11, Yakovlevskiy lane
phone: +7 812 369-6451address: 47, Blagodatnaya street
Safariaddress: Uliza Babushkaya (ул. Бабушкина), 47к3Good service and you might be able to negotiate a better price. Looks bad from outside, but from the inside is fairly new and clean.