Saint Simons Island
- Malcolm McKinnon Airport on the south end of Saint Simons is a small airfield serving small private planes.
- Brunswick Golden Isles Airport (BQK, also known as "Glynco Jetport") is the nearest airport with commercial service. Delta Air Lines has daily flights from Atlanta.
- The nearest major airports are Savannah/Hilton Head International (SAV) to the north, and Jacksonville International (JAX) to south, in Florida. Each is about 1.5 hours away by car.
Although Saint Simons is somewhat interlocked with the other islands and mainland of the Intracoastal Waterway, the only access by road is The F.J. Torras Causeway and a bridge arching high over the channel to allow large ships to pass. Bicyclists and pedestrians with a fear of heights will wish they'd gotten a ride.
Bike paths line almost every street on St. Simons Island, and bike rentals are available at various outlets on the island.
- Fort Frederica National Monument is on the north end of the island. The fort was established by Gen. James Edward Oglethorpe in 1736, to protect the Georgia border from Spanish invaders to the south. The community life of the settlers at Fort Frederica, and the battles which were waged in the name of Georgia, are fascinating history.
- Near Fort Frederica is Christ Church, a beautiful Episcopal church at which Methodism founder John Wesley preached to the Frederica congregation.
- At the south end of the island, one can see and tour the St. Simons Island Lighthouse, which also has a museum. The gold color of the marshes of St. Simons Island, and the area that surrounds it, inspired Sidney Lanier to write "The Marshes of Glynn," a notable poem.
Other popular activities include:
- sea kayaking (tours led by Southeast Adventure Outfitters)
- canoeing (tours led by Southeast Adventure Outfitters)
- deep sea fishing
St. Simons Island is home to seven fine golf courses, and is a popular destination for golfers from around the world, and home to professional golfer Davis Love, III.
There are frequently arts, crafts, and antiques festivals on weekends in the Village area of the south end. The annual Sunshine Festival is held at the Village, as well, over the Fourth of July weekend, and the evening fireworks are a popular attraction for locals and visitors alike.
In the spring and summer months, the Jazz in the Park series is held Sundays on the lawn of the St. Simons lighthouse.
In temperate weather, music jam sessions, including bluegrass music (Tuesdays), are held in Neptune Park in the Village.
Easter Sunrise Service, held on the fishing pier on Saint Simons Island, is a popular non-denominational Easter Sunday church service.
St. Simons Pier
Tibi outletaddress: Redfern Village
address: 373 Skylane RoadUpscale children's clothes and outlet prices
Pampered Footaddress: 3419 Frederica Road
- Beachcomber BBQ Grill, relaxed environment, Great BBQ and burgers, open Sunday.
CJ'sSicilian-style pizza and salads in a creative atmosphere.
All bars on St. Simons Island close at 2AM. On Sundays, the bars that are open are only open until 12AM.
Brogen'sA St. Simons Island institution. Food is not bad, beer is good, locals friendly.
- Bubba Garcia's, Dos Equis Amber and Sierra Nevada on tap, open Sunday, costume party every Wednesday in summer
- Gnat's Landing, laid back, open until 10, dollar PBRs, open Sunday
- J Mac's Island Restaurant and Martini Bar live jazz music weekends
- Locos of St. Simons, trivia on Tuesdays, Guinness on tap, open Sunday
- Marsh Point Bar and Grill NTN trivia network, smoking permitted
- Murphy's Tavern, local late-night favorite, Guinness on tap, pool tables, darts, good fun, a piece of Ireland on St Simon. Friendly staff and locals, always a good spot for a few late drinks to finish the night.
Palm Coast Coffee/The Hideaway PubLive Bluegrass, acoustic roots & Americana music, dynamic craft beer and wine selection. At night Pub spills out into Coffee house, comfy couches, fireplace, great bbq served late by The Southern Soul BBQ. Local crowd.
- Teazer's Raw Bar and Grill Dance Music, pool tables
Rafter's Blues and Raw BarLive music, smoking permitted, happy hour, pool tables.
- Village Inn and Pub, trivia on Wednesdays, live bluegrass music weeknights, open Sunday
- Ziggy Mahoney's shag dancing weekends, live music
The King and Prince HotelNamed one of the Historic Hotels of America.
address: 100 Salt Marsh Lane5-star hotel on St. Simons Island, frequented by the rich and famous.
address: 299 Main StreetGreat price for the island! Centrally located in Plantation Village and convenient to beaches and shopping.
address: 301 Main StreetPerfect setting for wedding receptions and family gatherings. Hotel boasts conference center and beautiful pool area for lounging. Friendly staff.
address: 100 Retreat Rd, St. SimonsAAA Five-Diamond, 24-hr butler service, complimentary town bicycles, Golf Courses, 2 restaurants: Oak Room and Big George's.
address: 100 Cloister Dr, Sea IslandForbes Five-Star 2010, 2011, The Cloister Spa, 3 restaurants: Georgian Room, River Bar, 100 Hudson, Fun Camp for kids, tennis clinics, Ice cream bar.
Ocean Inn and Suitesaddress: 599 Beachview Drive, Saint Simons Island, GA 31522Location is superb and only a few miles down the road from when you get on the island. The hotel rooms are majestic. Now the decor and design is a bit on the heavy side but nevertheless this is a beautiful hotel to stay in with friendly staff
- Jekyll Island is just to the south.
- The nearest mainland city is Brunswick.
- Cumberland Island National Seashore can be reached by driving 53 miles south on Interstate 95 to St. Marys, Georgia. You must take a ferry to Cumberland Island from St. Marys. There is a fee, and reservations are required to board. No motor vehicles are allowed on the ferry.
- Sapelo Island Estuarine Reserve is home to the R.J. Reynolds Mansion, and Hog Hammock, one of the last remaining gullah communities in the U.S. To get there, drive approximately 30 miles south on U.S. Highway 17 to Meridian, and take the ferry. There is a fee to board, at $2 per person, and you must have reservations. No vehicles are allowed on the ferry.
- Okefenokee Swamp is located nearby.
- Sea Island is adjacent to Saint Simons Island. Follow directional signs once on Saint Simons Island. There is a bridge to Sea Island. Private.
- Little St. Simons Island is a privately-owned resort near Saint Simons Island. Arrive via Saint Simons Island.