SamoënsSamoëns pronounced (saa-mwans) is a commune of the Haute-Savoie département in France.
The town of Samoëns is located in the Vallée du Giffre in the French Alps and carries the designation of a "ville fleurie", meaning its gardens and public greenery are particularly good. It is a popular summer destination as well as the site of a ski resort that departs from a new lift at the edge of town linking up to Samoëns 1600 also known as the Plateau de Saix, this resort is part of the larger five town Grand Massif which includes Flaine and Morillon.
The European high-speed train, the TGV, can also take you from most major cities in Europe to its terminal in Geneva or a connector train from the terminal at Annecy can take you all the way to Cluses.
The SAT bus can be taken from Geneva or Cluses into the valley and will drop you off at multiple small towns including Samoëns along the way.
For the adventurous vacationer summer activities include: White water rafting, kayaking, para gliding, mountain biking at the local ski areas, hiking at the Cirque du Fer-A Cheval, cycling many of the Tour De France routes that criss cross the valley, the "Indiana Park" or ropes course, mountain climbing and 4 wheeling. For the less adventurous vacationer there are a number of out door cafes, bars, a weekly market, restaurants, a public pool and water slide, as well as many parks.
During the winter months this valley and the Haute Savoie in general are at the heart of the French skiing experience, Samoëns links up to the Grande Massif ski area with its 100+ lifts and wide variety of terrain.
- A la Jaÿsinia - This Bakery and coffee shop specializes in rich pastries, cakes, and tarts; they also serve coffee and tea in their salon.
- Pizzeria-snack du Giffre - Located of the central square behind next to the post office is this small snack bar/take out spot, they sell mostly lunch items and take away Pizza.
La LouisianneLocated just down an ally off the central square, this is a typically French bar and restaurant specializing in some local fare and large individual wood-fired pizzas.
La table de FifineOpen for both lunch and dinner and located across from the new Gondola, Le Table de Fifine is locally owned and operated serving high end regional cuisine and semi-gourmand fare.
- Muscade et Basilic - A modern twist on traditional Savoyard dishes.
- Le Monde à l'Envers - Probably Samoens most highly rated restaurant. Creative French cuisine.
- Le Bois de Lune - Varied French cuisine.
- Coveys Irish Pub on the edge of town serves good draft beer and has a lively, cosy atmosphere.
- Guanacao bar is another lively nightspot worth checking out.
Bed & breakfast, catered or self-catered
phone: +33 6 72 50 08 28A family-run, family friendly chalet company offering a small hand-picked selection of luxury properties. Great central location, professional chef, hot tubs, Wifi, UK TV and plenty more.
Chalet Marie StuartWonderful chalet open all year. Superb food & accommodation, only 800 meters from both telecabins. Free ski bus stop 50 meters away. Sauna, games room & separate TV longe. Pool in the summer with a massive terrace for dinning out. Sleeps up to 14. WIFI connected.
phone: +33 6 43 63 78 63A choice of 3 fantastic family friendly chalets sleeping groups from 6 to 20 people at great prices. Ski lift and Village location. Hot tubs, games room. WIFI
Self Catering Accommodation
phone: +33 4 50 98 50 56Samoens finest selection of over 45 properties in unbeatable locations, excellent facilities, newly renovated and full of charm.
phone: +33 450 212 818Charming Chalets and Apartments in Samoens. Accommodation ranges from apartments sleeping 4 to 8 people, to large chalets sleeping up to 14 people. All accommodation is within walking distance to the village square.
phone: +44 2392 839 310A range of self-catering chalets and apartments in Samoens. Accommodation sleeping 2-20, lift passes, ski school, equipment hire can be arranged. Bookable from the UK.
phone: +44 7828 901 656A recently refurbished luxury ski chalet that sleeps 8-10 people. Ideal for Ski Weekends.
- L'Edelweiss - Chalet hotel facing south, with a fine view out over the valley. Very peaceful. Warm family atmosphere. Private shuttles to and from town. Double room: €60
Le Gai SoleilSteps from the heart of the village, 33 rooms en-suite or studio/apartment, TV, balcony. Restaurant opens 4 times in the week. Free access to sauna, Jacuzzi, hammam, fitness room, pool. Double room: €60 to 93.
Neige et Roc32 rooms and 18 studios flats well located in the heart of the mountains, only five minutes away from the village center. Double room with full board: €120 to 160 per day
- Les Glaciers - Ideal location in the heart of the town, with a wide range of equipment and amenities at your disposal. Double room with full board: €90 to 135