San Isidro de El General
International Park La Amistad is near this city.
There is also a very reliable and efficient local bus transportation system that not only connects the various key locations of the city to each other, but the city itself to other localities of the Pérez Zeledón canton. The main bus terminal is in front of Coopeagri store in the central market complex. A short walking distance from the central park.
Autentico AdventuresGo rafting down one of the three rivers that surround this area, the Rio General, Rio Savegre, and Rio Guabo. Also offers homestays into the rainforest.
There is a commercial center downtown, one mall in the southern end of town, and a new one about to open in december in the center of town. Not a big place for shopping, but visit the local market to see the culture, eat, and buy some fruits. Maxi-Bodega has many American food products. You can find several shoe stores with a selection of American brands. Some bargains can be found.
But if you want something more international, here are a few places:
- Chirripo Hotel, across the street from the main church in Centro. Hang out for many visitors and locals.
- Reginas Argentinian Parrillada... on the way to Dominical in El Hoyón.
- Pizza Primavera, by PALI supermarket in the city center on the street behind CoopeAgri.
- Delicias Cafe, great people watching and meeting your friends, a good coffee place with great food
- Mexico Lindo on the south part of the park, great mexican food
- Kukis fast food, next to Mexico Lindo
- Bazookas a mix of Costa Rican and American food, on the way to San Jose next to the Solis Gas Station
- Coffee Stop Authentic Costa Rican food and coffee, free Wi-Fi Internet, clean bathrooms just north of San Isidro
- La Cascada upstairs restaurant, local music, popular for locals and ex-pats alike.
- Bar de Brasilia karaoke and loud music, popular among the working class.
- Reyes several billiards tables and an open bar area.
- El Camaron very popular among younger Costa Ricans.
- Babalu a hip bar with a small cover charge at door.
- Basha-Pz popular dancing area and large bar. Plays American and local music. Very pleasant atmosphere.
Los CrestonesOn the road from Dominical, south from the SE corner of Plaza Central, opposite the football ground. Attentive and flexible staff; good value at US$50 (cash) for an upstairs room (November 2009.)
The ChirripoThe most popular hotel for foreign travelers.