Sandusky is a city in Ohio Erie shore west and county seat of Erie County, on Ohio's north coast along Lake Erie between Cleveland and Toledo. It is perhaps best known for Cedar Point Amusement Park, home to some of the world's tallest and fastest roller coasters. It is one of Ohio's prettiest downtowns and is very clean. Walking along the waterfront in the business district should be considered very safe compared to most cities. There is a pier for those who want to fish. They say late winter fishing is great at the pier due to the fish gathering in Sandusky Bay for spawning in the local rivers and streams. Elevation: 580ft/176.8m.
A popular way of traveling during summer is by ferry, many companies offers day cruises and excursion trips to the Lake Erie Islands. Some of the larger companies includes Jet Express, that runs daily ferries during summer to and from Kelleys Island, Cedar Point and South Bass Island (Put-in-Bay). Additionally, Owen Sound Transportation Company runs the largest passenger ferry along the Lake Erie, the MV Jiimaan, between Leamington, Pelee Island and Sandusky.
Most ferries arrive at , located at 101 West Shoreline Dr at the northern end of Jackson St.
- Shelby Street Boat Launch, 101 Shelby St. +1 419-621-1059. Host to many fishing tournaments.
- Castaway Bay Marina 10 Harbor Parkway. +1 419-626-3611
- Cedar Point Marina 1 Cedarpoint Dr. +1 419-627-2334
- Fox Run Pier at Lyman Harbor, 1615 First St. +1 419-625-9626
- Sandusky Harbor Marina, 1 Huron St., +1-800-877-3625
- On the Ohio Turnpike (I-80):
- Take Exit 118(7) and follow the signs west on U.S. 250.
- Take Exit 110(6A) and follow State Route 4 north.
The city is served by two daily Amtrak trains, Capitol Limited between Chicago and Washington, D.C. and Lake Shore Limited between Chicago and Boston/New York City. All services pass through in the middle of the night, often making rail travel quite inconvenient.
phone: +1 419 627-5900address: 1200 N Depot StThe waiting room is not generally open, but on nights with more than the usual riders, the police unlock the well-maintained passenger waiting room. You may want to call about 20 minutes before your arrival to double check.
Pedestrian traffic is prohibited on the Cedar Point causeway (and is very impractical).
- Sandusky Perkins Area Ride Connection (SPARC), +1 419-627-0740. The SPARC offers three routes to various stops around the city of Sandusky and Perkins Township including the Sandusky Mall, museums, stores, and area businesses. , to view a schedule. Rides are $1/person; exact change required. Deviation routes up to 1/2 mile are offered with a 24-hour advanced reservation.
- There are several taxi companies offering transportation throughout the city and most offer call ahead service.
Often overlooked is the beach at Cedar Point, one of the nicest and cleanest beaches on Lake Erie. It is adjacent to the Breakers Hotel at Cedar Point and outside Cedar Point fence. Seldom, if ever crowded.
Elutheros Cooke Houseaddress: 1415 Columbus AveA three-story mansion that features a ruby and cranberry glass collection, antique furnishings, a garden, greenhouses and a gift shop.
address: 404 Wayne StSandusky Library’s local history museum with four floors of exhibits featuring Johnson’s Island Civil War Prison Camp, Cedar Point and many other artifacts that shaped local life.
address: 125 Meigs StreetThis museum interprets the maritime history of the area including boat building, recreational boating, passenger boats, shipwrecks, wetlands, commercial shipping, fishing, and the boats of Sandusky’s Underground Railroad through interactive exhibits and educational programs.
phone: +1 419-626-6111address: 301 Jackson StreetEnjoy menagerie of rare and unusual carousel carvings. Kids of every age can ride the antique carousel and watch woodcarvers breathe life into new horses. Be sure to visit the gift shop.
Ohio Veterans Home Museum & Hall of Fameaddress: I.F. Mack Building 3416 Columbus AveA military history museum featuring memorabilia from the Civil War, World War I, World War II, Korean Conflict, Vietnam and the war on terrorism. You can also check out an exhibit on Johnson’s Island and its role in the Civil War.
Underground Railroad Trolley TourDiscover Sandusky’s Underground Railroad history during this narrated trolley/bus tour of the abolitionist’s homes and sites used by fugitive slaves.
phone: +1 419-625-4084address: 614 West Perkins Ave1/2 mile oval asphalt track. Stock car racing at its finest. Nice track, located close to Cedar Point.
phone: +1 419 626-4467address: 3319 Milan RoadHaunted house, XD 3D theater, motion rides, Ghostly Gifts.
Castalia Fish Hatcheryphone: +1 419-684-7499address: 7018 Homegardner Rdfacility owned by state. Raise over 470,000 steelhead and rainbow trout for stocking Lake Erie tributaries.
Castalia Quarry Reservephone: +1 419-625-7783Abandoned limestone quarry, surrounded by forest and fields. Hiking, mountain biking, scenic.
Plum Brook StationNASA occasionally hosts open house events at their Plum Brook Facility.
Castaway BayA indoor water park operated by Cedar Point outside the main park.,
phone: +1 419-627-8340address: 570 Bimini Dr
Cruises - ferries & catamarans
The Goodtime IThe Goodtime I Departs from Sandusky daily on an island hopping cruise.
address: 4424 Milan RdSuite A, (US 250). Stop in and talk to the friendly staff for local insights as well as maps, brochures, discount coupons. Worth a visit.
ColossalConAnnual anime convention held at Kalahai Resort. Notable for being more party themed then most anime conventions, due to being held in a water park.
phone: +1 419-626-8575address: 4314 Milan Rd
A&B Hobbies & Cycles
New Sandusky Fish Companyaddress: 235 E Shoreline DrIf you want fresh fish, this is the place. Located on the water front downtown. 80% of the building is dedicated to cleaning fish, which are delivered by boat to their dock, adjacent to the store. No inside dining. Picnic tables outside only. They also sell smoked fish-turtle meat-frozen sea food. Average meal $6.
Mrs. D'saddress: 302 W Perkins AveGreat seafood.
Dianna's Deli & Restaurantaddress: 3002 Milan RoadGreat food. Ribs, chicken, pasta. Open 24/7.
address: 3717 Venice RdDairy products since 1900. Located at the west edge of Sandusky. They put the "cream" in ice cream. Open year around, selling numerous dairy products manufactured on site. They also offer a limited variety of soups and sandwiches between 11AM and 5PM on weekdays. If you appreciate great ice cream this will make your day! Best bang for the buck. A small in a cup or a cake cone is $2.40 and bigger than most places' large.
The Lunch Boxaddress: 154 Columbus AveLocated in downtown very near the many boat docks in downtown Sandusky. The finest perch sandwiches and dinners are served with many traditional tasty favorites such as reubens, monte cristos, burgers, and grilled chicken sandwiches. After 11AM ask about the lunch specials that are a great value. Breakfast available all day. Hours are Sunday–Thursday 6:30AM to 3PM with Friday/Saturday hours 6:30AM to 8PM.
address: 212 Fremont Ave(Route 6).
address: 2350 Cleveland Rd. W
Chet and Matt's Pizzaaddress: 1013 East Strub RoadA nice family-run pizza place that's close to Cedar Point.
Mekongaddress: 4318 Milan Rd.Great place for Vietnamese/Asian cuisine and a huge selection of beer.
address: 142 Columbus Ave.French-inspired food with attentive service and a warm atmosphere. Seasonal favorites and classic selections. Full bar and wine list. Outdoor seating, bar/lounge, reservations suggested, open year-round.
address: 145 Columbus Ave.Dinner only. Food, wine and spirits in a casual atmosphere. Small plates, entrees, pastas and pizzas; wine by the bottle, glass and flight; beer and cocktails. Open year-round.
address: 129 Market St.Chef-owned American bistro serving creative contemporary cuisine with a twist. Entertainment, outdoor seating, bar/lounge, reservations suggested, open year-round.
phone: +1 419-625-5474address: 917 Bardshar Rd(Off US 6) 1. Hours vary.
Hermes Vineyardphone: +1 419-626-8500address: 6413 S. Hayes Ave(SR 4) 1. Ohio's largest vinifera vineyards. Open year-round.
- Louie's: The favorite watering hole of the Cedar Point Staff. It's located just off Cedar Point Drive. On busy nights, patrons are required to show a Cedar Point employee ID.
Bay View Motel
address: 2047 Cleveland RoadThree minutes from Cedar Point. Family owned and operated.
address: US 6 - 1530 Cleveland Road
address: 6220 Milan Road
address: 5513 Milan Road
address: 1/2 Milan Road5513.
phone: +1 419 627-2106address: 1 Cedar Point DriveHistoric, family-friendly turn-of-the-century hotel located at Cedar Point. Offers packages with Cedar Point tickets.
- Battle of the Indoor Water Parks, Sandusky boasts many indoor water parks/resorts that draw families from all over the Great Lakes states:
phone: +1 419 627-2106address: 2001 Cleveland Rd(U.S. Rt. 6). Caribbean theme with palm trees, huts and inland lagoons, Ten water slides, water coaster, wave pool and toddler’s pool. Also located in the hotel is a day spa. Offers packages with Cedar Point admission tickets.
phone: +1 419 609-6000address: 4600 Milan Rd(U.S. Rt. 250). 9 waterslides, 5 pools and 2 giant whirlpools, treehouse waterfort, climbing wall.
phone: +1 419 433-7200address: 7000 Kalahari DrAfrican theme, surfing pool, water slides, water coaster, water raft rides, outdoor pool area, spa for the parents and a lot of other indoor activities.
phone: +1 419 621-7357address: 5513 Milan Rd(U.S. Rt. 250).
phone: +1 419 621-7900address: 4711 Venice Road24 RV/Tent spaces, restrooms showers, boat dockage, boat launch, fishing.
KOA Bayshore Campground
phone: +1 419 625-3834address: 114 W Adams StA historic Carnegie library, with a computer lab for getting online.
phone: +1 419-557-7400address: 1111 Hayes Ave
- Leamington, Ontario, Canada. Canada's southernmost city. By ferry.
- North Coast Beaches. Along the southern shore of Lake Erie are a large number of public beaches.
- Lake Erie Islands. Located west of Cleveland, a group of picturesque and festive islands in Lake Erie are accessible via ferry. In addition to several Ohio State Parks located on the islands, there is plenty to do including wineries, restaurants, bars, marinas and beaches.
- Port Clinton is a quaint fishing town on Lake Erie about 20 minutes west of Sandusky. It also provides ferries to the Lake Erie Islands as well as head boats and charters for fishing.
- Catawba Island, just west of Sandusky and accessible by road, offers a number of marinas, fishing charters and other Lake Erie shore activities.
- Marblehead, also to the west. You can see Marblehead Peninsula and the lighthouse from Sandusky or Cedar Point. Be sure you take some time and climb to the top. A Ferry to Kelly's Island leaves from Marblehead.
- Milan, Birthplace of Thomas A. Edison, inventor.
- Cleveland is about 1 hour and 13 minutes east on Ohio State Route 2. Home to the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame
- Toledo is about 1 hour and 9 minutes west on Ohio State Route 2. Check out the Toledo Zoo.