ShangqiuShangqiu (商丘; shāngqiū) is a city in eastern Henan province, China.
Though under the administration of Henan Province, Shangqiu shares more cultural similarity with the Huaihai region (淮海地区), a marginal area that includes part of Eastern Henan, southwest Shandong, Northern Jiangsu and Northern Anhui.
- 2 districts: Liangyuan (梁园) and Suiyang (睢阳). The downtown is on the boundary between the two districts.
- 1 county-level city: Yongcheng (永城).
- 6 counties: Minquan (民权), Sui County (睢县), Ningling (宁陵), Zhecheng (柘城), Xiayi (夏邑) and Yucheng (虞城).
By trainShangqiu is one of the large railway hubs in China. The Longhai Railway (Lianyungang - Lanzhou), Jingjiu Railway (Beijing - Kowloon), Xulan High-speed Railway (Xuzhou - Lanzhou) and the under-construction Shanghang High-speed Railway (Shangqiu - Hangzhou) pass Shangqiu. Shangqiu has railway connections to nearly all major cities in China.
Shangqiu has two railway stations. When you ride a train, be careful about which station you should go, because the distance between the two stations is 8 km and can take you more than 30 minutes by bus or 15 minutes by taxi from one station to the other.
Shangqiu Railway Station
Shangqiu South Railway Station
By busLong-distance buses arrive Shangqiu frequently from nearby major cities such as Zhengzhou and Xuzhou and smaller cities such as Zhoukou, Bozhou, Heze and Kaifeng. You can buy a ticket from the long-distance bus station or wave to the passby buses on their route.
Shangqiu Central Bus Station
Shangqiu Main Bus Station
Shangqiu Wanli Bus Station
By busAll the long-distance bus stations serve to the counties under the administration of Shangqiu.
City bus service is available in Liangyuan and Suiyang districts. Majority of the bus routes pass Shangqiu Railway Station, so it is nearly possible to go to any places with only one transfer there. But miserably, there is a lacking of direct bus routes for the same area in the city. Therefore, even two places are on the same side of the city, you still have to go to downtown to transfer at the railway station.
By bicycleShared bicycles are available across downtown and major towns in counties.
The Ancient City of ShangqiuThe origin of Shangqiu and has a history of over 4,000 years. The present buildings on the ground were mainly built in Ming Dynasty, and most of the buildings before Ming Dynasty are buried because of flooding of the Yellow River. It is surrounded by moat called Southern Lake (南湖). The main attractions include City Wall (城墙), Gongyang Gate (拱阳门), Gongchen Gate (拱辰门), Zhangxun Temple (张巡祠), Yingtian Academy (应天书院), Zhanghui Hall (壮悔堂) and Mu's Siheyuan (穆氏四合院).
Ebo TempleThe temple that sacrifices the god of fire, who is also the ancestry of Shang's people. The name of "Shangqiu" origins from here (Shang = Shang's people; Qiu = small hill, where this temple is built).
Shangqiu MuseumThe main museum of Shangqiu. Introduce the history of Shangqiu.
Huanghegudao National Forest ParkThe Yellow River flew through here before 1855. Now it is a popular recreation area for all Shangqiu citizens.
Outer Suburbs and Counties
Homeland of Mulan
Homeland of Zhuangzi
- Kaifeng, one of the ancient capitals in China. One-hour ride of high-speed railway or two-hour ride of normal railway west from Shangqiu.
- Zhengzhou, the capital of Henan Province. 1.5-hour ride of high-speed railway or 2.5-hour ride of normal railway west from Shangqiu.
- Xuzhou, the center city of Huaihai District, famous for its culture of Han Dynasty. Half-hour ride of high-speed railway or 1.5-hour ride of normal railway east from Shangqiu.
- Jining, the homeland of Kongzi (Qufu) and Mengzi (Zoucheng). Ride the bus from Shangqiu Central Bus Station.