Shelter IslandShelter Island is an island and town in Suffolk County in New York. It is between the two forks on Long Island and in total is 6.5 sq miles and was founded by the Sylvestor family.
Villages and Hamlets
- North Ferry, 631-749-0139, . Take the Long Island Expressway (I-495) east to the last exit, exit 73. The off-ramp will lead you directly to Suffolk County Route 58 east. After about three and one half miles, County Road 58 will merge into Route 25 east. Continue on Route 25 east for about 20 miles to Greenport. Watch for signs marked "To Route 114 South." These signs will direct you to turn right onto Sixth Street. Drive one block and make your next left on Wiggins Street ("To 114 South"). At the end of Wiggins Street, ferry traffic makes a hard right turn and continues turning right to enter the final staging area. The ferry line takes you away from the ferry, around a loop, and back in line facing the ferry dock and passenger terminal.
phone: +1 631-749-1200Take Queens/Midtown tunnel. Take I-495 east to Exit 70. Turn right at the "yield" sign to Route 27 east. Continue on 27 through the town of Bridgehampton. At traffic light, turn left onto County Road 79 through Sag Harbor (4 miles) to stop sign at flag pole. Go left over bridge on 114 north for 3 miles to the South Ferry.
- Westmoreland Airport (49NY), 516-354-5310. A small, 1400ft private airstrip for emergency use only.
Mashomack Nature PreserveThere is a nice nature preserve that would be a great place to see. It is part of the Nature Conservancy and comprises 1/3 of the island.
Kissing RockAlso, there is a huge, well-known rock located at the end of Crescent Beach that was redecorated immediately after 9/11.
- During the summer, once a week, the Perlman Music Camp, founded by world-known violinist Itzhak Perlman, puts on a performance. The students are gifted young people and occasionally Itzhak Perlman conducts the students.
The Ram's Head InnWas the site of the Shelter Island Conference on the Foundations of Quantum Mechanics in 1947. Many famous physicists attended, including Oppenheimer and Feynman. A small plaque commemorates the event.
- This island has many beautiful beaches. Spending a day at the beach would be great to do.
- Also, there are two golf courses and one mini-golf course if you enjoy shooting a game of golf.
- There are also retreats available for groups through St. Gabes and Quinipet.
- Ride bicycles
- Go birdwatching at the nature preserve.
- Rent horses Paard Hill, run by Ellen Lear, daughter of TV Producer Norman Lear, operates these stables which offer lessons for all levels.
- Play a game of tennis at the tennis courts is also an option.
There is a newly owned IGA supermarket at 75 North Ferry Road, that offers home and boat delivery. Catering also available 631-749-0382.
If needed there are also two banks and two post offices.
Black Cat Books is a wonderful and classy used bookstore on 114 around the middle of the island. It has a sprawling black couch to rest on and plenty of fiction, art, photo books and more. A great break for those biking across the island on the Hamptons-Greenport route.
Geo Jo videophone: +1 631-749-2324address: 57 north ferry rdNot your usual video store. Worth a visit or two.
Jacks Marinephone: +1 631-749-0114address: Bridge StThis is a Toy store for all ages. It has been on Shelter Island for over 60 years.
Bob's Fish MarketAuthentic.
The Chequit InnGood food. Wonderful patio. Great place to meet for a drink. Decent people watching. Great place to stay if you're carless. Azaleas.
The DoryA real harbor bar. Not fancy.
Pat and Steve'sSimple meals. Nothing fancy.
PridwinRustic food and rooms. Cabins ideal for young families. Wonderful salt pool. Spectacular sunsets.
Ram's HeadLovely place. Perfect for a quiet weekend. Excellent food and service. Superb bartender. Simple but fine accommodations.
Shelter Island PharmacyYou mean the soda fountain?
Bella Vitaphone: +1 631 749-5462address: 3 North Ferry RoadFantastic Brooklyn-style pizza.
Maria's KitchenOrganic Mexican stuff
phone: +1 631 749-2001address: 35 Shore RdA late night spot near the Pridwin. Be cool.
phone: +1 631-749-0053address: 23 North Ferry RdWorld Bistro Menu.
There are quite a few places to get a drink. All the hotels have a bar and you can also get drinks at The Dory.
The Chequit Inn
phone: +1 631 749-2001address: 35 Shore Rd20-room seasonal hotel with restaurant, bar and boutique was opened in 1997. Inspired by the Italian and French Rivieras, it offers French bistro cuisine with sunset views overlooking the Peconic Bay.
Bed and breakfasts
Belle Crest Bed and Breakfast
House on Chase CreekGood food and absolute peace and quiet in an immaculate old house.
Beach Tree House
The Candlelight Inn