SosnowiecSosnowiec - city located in the south of Poland in the Silesian Voivodeship. A county capital neighbouring Katowice, and a mining and industrial region, it is one of the largest cities in the Silesian Voivodeship and Upper Silesian Industry Area, known also as city of four cultures, where there are many reminders of the times when the city was developed by Evangelicals, Jews, Orthodox and Catholics.
By planeThe Katowice-Pyrzowice airport in Pyrzowice (24 km from Sosnowiec) is an airport for domestic and European flights to major cities throughout Europe and Tel Aviv.
Sosnowiec is connected with airport by KZK GOP bus line: Lotnisko
The Kraków-Balice airport (KRK) is 70 km away form the city.
By trainSosnowiec Main (Główny) Railway Station is located in the city centre.
Trains from all parts of Poland and other countries arrive at the Main Station.
There are about 12 trains per day between Warsaw and Sosnowiec, and many more between nearby cities like Katowice, Częstochowa, Gliwice.
The city has direct connection by train with the following European and main Polish cities:
Train timetable for Sosnowiec Główny
By carThe main approaches to Sosnowiec are:
- from Kraków on the A-4 motorway; Sosnowiec is about 60 km westward of Kraków
- from Wrocław on the A-4 motorway; Sosnowiec is about 180 km eastward of Wrocław
- from Warsaw on the E-67 European main road; Sosnowiec is about 300 km south of Warsaw
- from Cieszyn (on the southern border) on the E-75 European main road; Sosnowiec is about 70 km north of Cieszyn
Sosnowiec has no big car parks system but there are many small car parks along the roads in the city center.
By public transportThere is about 64 regular bus lines operated by KZK GOP and about 16 by other carries, 5 tram lines and some local train connection inside Silesia Voivoidship. KZK GOP support 27 cities, including Katowice, Gliwice, Będzin, Mysłowice, Chorzów, Dąbrowa Górnicza. There is one common public transport ticket for all 27 cities. There is possiblity to pay for ride by SKUP card and by mobile applications: SkyCash, moBilet and mPay Consult the map of tram and bus stops and the timetables for all buses and trams.
Sielecki Casteladdress: Zamkowa 2
Pałac Oskara Schönaaddress: 1 Maja 19
address: Stefana Żeromskiego 2
- Wilhelm Palace
address: Jana Kilińskiego 39
address: Stefana Żeromskiego 4
Three Emperors' Corneris a former tripoint at the confluence of the Black and White Przemsza rivers. From 1871 to 1918, under Partitions of Poland, it marked the border between the Russian Empire, Austria-Hungary, and the German Empire.
Cathedral Basilica of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Maryaddress: Kościelna 1
address: Chemiczna 12
address: Zamkowa 2Zamkowa 2, in Sielecki Castle.
- Sielecki Park
- Dietel Park
- Schoen Park
- Tysiąclecia Park
- Three Emperors' Corner historical border of three
- Viewpoint at Środula Hill in Środula Parkl
Public Beach Stawikiaddress: Kresowa 1
address: 2 Sienkiewicza StreetModern multiplex type cinema with 6 screens.
Helios32b Modrzejowska Street modern multiplex type cinema with approx 4 screens.
address: 4 Teatralna Street6th oldest Theatre in Poland, still working, still existing in the same building.
- Concert Hall
phone: +48 500 355 221address: Kresowa 1One of the largest wakeboard centers in Poland with two rope lifts: 750 m and 200 m.
address: Stawowa 4Two-level go-kart track.
address: 3-go Maja 513 ski runs: 450 m, 300 m, 150 m
phone: +48 730 454 546address: Gabriela Narutowicza 51
address: Henryka Sienkiewicza 2
phone: +48 505 543 020address: Kościelna 48Original italian pizza baked in wood burining stove. Payment only by cash.
phone: +48 511 232 545address: Wspólna 26Traditional polish food: dumplings, broth with quilts, etc. Payment only by cash
- Bar Mleczny, ul. Warszawska
- Pistacja Cafe
phone: +48 792 781 398address: Stanisława Małachowskiego 2European kitchen
phone: +48 602 429 376address: Warszawska 5Atraditional, regional kitchen from Sosnowiec and Dąbrowa Basin
phone: +48 32 256 70 94address: Warszawska 18
phone: +48 32 266 83 48address: Partyzantów 5Indian kitchen.
phone: +48 32 297 95 95address: Stanisława Małachowskiego 9
phone: +48 606 493 638address: Stanisława Małachowskiego 28Traditional regional soups and pitburgers
Below are listed most popular places to visit:
phone: +48 798 210 776address: Stanisława Małachowskiego 24
phone: +48 799 796 676address: Stanisława Małachowskiego 22popular, modern place with trendy music and kraft beer
phone: +48 888 213 213address: Warszawska 12
phone: +48 32 297 95 95address: Stanisława Małachowskiego 9
phone: +48 32 307 88 08address: Sienkiewicza 3
phone: +48 32 299 64 37address: Kresowa 1
phone: +48 32 266 97 23address: Modrzejowska 3n historical building, three-star hotel located in the centre. It features 28 comfortable rooms and 3 conference rooms.
phone: +48 32 266 11 22address: Partyzantów 113 stars, near city center, in a silent area
phone: +48 32 266 18 97address: Przyjaciół Żołnierza 5A2 stars
address: Wojska Polskiego 199
phone: +48 32 363-12-20address: Kilińskiego 43
- Intensive Polish course for foreginers by Humanitas University
- Będzin — 10 km east a city just to the north of Sosnowiec with a beautiful castle from the 11th century
- Katowice — 10 km west the regional capital and a major transportation hub with its fair share of monuments and industrial heritage.
- Central Firefighting Museum in Mysłowice; 6 km southwest.
- Auschwitz-Birkenau - 33 km southeast - the cluster of concentration, labour and extermination camps established by the Nazis during the Second World War
- Bielsko-Biała — 80 km south city with cosy old town and many beautiful buildings from Austro-Hungarian times. Many trains from Sosnowiec Main Station .
- The "Eagle Nest Castle Ruins" in the Jura in Ogrodzieniec, Olsztyn, Rudno, Mirów and Ojców. Many trains form Sosnowiec Main Station to Zawiercie, Myszków. 60 km northeast by car by E67 road.
- Częstochowa - is the most important pilgrim's place in Central Europe. In the Pauline Monastery on Jasna Góra (literally: bright hill) you can pray in front of one of the most known icon of Our Lady of Częstochowa. Many trains from Sosnowiec Main Station. 80 km north by car by E67 road.