South HollandSouth Holland (Dutch: Zuid-Holland) is a province in the Netherlands.
South Holland consists of the southern half of the historic county of Holland. It can roughly be divided into six regions:
This area's landscape is renowned for its enormous flower fields, considered typical for the country. The Keukenhof flower garden is visited by millions of travelers each year.
In the middle of the Randstad conurbation lies the Groene Hart, a green agricultural zone between the four big cities. The countryside offers flat polders, canals and lakes, which can be explored on foot, by bicycle or by boat.
A combination of The Hague, political heart of the country with numerous attractions like the Binnenhof, the Royal Palace and Madurodam, and Rotterdam, the largest port of Europe and the only Dutch city with an impressive skyline and modern architecture. Interesting towns lie between, such as historic Delft with its famous blue-white ceramics, Schiedam with the tallest historic windmills of the world and the beach resort of Scheveningen.
Flat polders surrounded by rivers, typical Dutch scenery best shown by the picturesque Kinderdijk windmills.
- — "judicial capital of the world", seat of the government and plenty of attractions
- — one of the oldest cities of the Netherlands with prehistoric remains and museums
- — old town famous for its Delftware ceramics
- — historic town with numerous museums
- — famous for its Gouda cheese and the cheese market
- — vibrant student town with the oldest university of the country
- — Europe's largest port, modern architecture and an impressive skyline
- — largest and most popular beach resort of the country, officially a district of The Hague
- — historic town known for its jenever, a Dutch alcoholic drink, and the five largest windmills of the world
- — one of the last freshwater tide areas in Europe
- — a high-tech engineering project of dams and sluices; a show case of the Dutch and their endless struggle against the sea
- — each spring more than 800,000 travelers visit this flower garden
- — the windmills at Kinderdijk show the typical Dutch landscape in all its glory
- The windmills of Kinderdijk (on the Unesco heritage list)
- Go sailing on the Kager Plassen.
- Go cycling through the polders or the coastal dunes or from historic town to historic town.