Southern Azerbaijan is a region in Azerbaijan, which includes Agjabadi, Beylaqan, Kurdamir, Imishli, Saatli, Ujar, Zardab rayons as well as the parts of Agdam and Fuzuli rayons under Azerbaijani control.
- (Ağcabədi) – The capital of the homonymous region and the birthplace of Uzeyir Hajibeyov, the father of classical and opera in Azerbaijan.
- (Beyləqan) – One of the oldest cities in Azerbaijan located in the triangle between the Kura and Aras rivers in the steppe Mil.
- (İmişli) – The capital of the homonymous region, located in an area near the Aras River.
- (Kürdəmir) – Located on one of the main Azerbaijani railway lines east-west, connecting the capital, Baku, with the rest of the country.
- – The capital of the region of the same name.
- (Ucar) – The capital of the region is the same name at 17 m N.N.
- – The capital of the region of the same name. The founder of the first Azeri newspaper, Hasan bey Zardabi, lived here.
Ag-Gel National Park / Agh Gol National ParkComposed largely of Lake Ağgöl. Highly recommended by the internet.
Kura-Araks LowlandA vast lowland in central-southern Azerbaijan defined by the valleys of the Kura and Aras River.
The Southern Azerbaijan is along the main bus and train route between Baku and Georgia. The main cities along this route are Kurdamir and Ujar, which pose as hubs for the rest of the region.
- Azerbaijan has a well developed bus system between the local city and village terminals.
- Drivers are commonly friendly with backpackers and road trippers, so auto-stop is equally an option to travel within the region.
- Baku Region in the north east. With the cosmopolitan Azerbaijani capital Baku, and famous for its mud volcanoes.
- Sheki Region in the north. Gateway to the Azerbaijani Caucasus.
- Ganja Region in the north west. Famous for the largest lake in Azerbaijan, the beautiful Ganja and the Naftalan petroleum spa resort.
- Talysh Region in the south east.