Sutton (West Virginia)West Virginia. It's located in Braxton County, which is known as "the Geographic Center of West Virginia". Sutton was first settled in 1792, and incorporated in 1860, having been named in honor of one of the early settlers. The area is noteworthy for its Civil War heritage, as well as the Braxton County Monster (aka the Phantom of Flatwoods), a green space alien with fiery red eyes and a pungent odor that reportedly frightened a group of local residents in September 1952 and remains one of the most famous creatures in UFO lore.
Sutton is on I-79 and US-19, south of Clarksburg and Weston, just north of the spot where I-79 splits west toward Charleston while US-19 heads south to Summersville.
The Elk River Railroad runs between Gilmer and Hartland, stopping in Gassaway, Shadyside and Frametown on the way.
The nearest major airports are in Clarksburg and Charleston, but the Braxton County Airport (Airport Road, +1 304-765-9031) is also capable of handling light twin-engine aircraft on its 4,000-foot runway.
- Gassaway Cabs, 201 River Street in Gassaway, +1 304-364-5272.
- Sutton Cabs, 206 Main Street, +1 304-765-5004.
- The downtown Sutton historic district is roughly bounded by Main Street, River View Drive and First Street. Walking tours are available.
- Although the county as a whole lays claim to the title, the nearby town of Flatwoods is the precise geographical center of West Virginia.
address: 2000 Sutton LaneLive al fresco musical performances.
phone: +1 304-765-3766 or +1 304-765-3462address: 4th Street and Main StreetMusicals, plays, dinner theatres, dramatic readings, presentations and exhibits. Home to the West Virginia Landmark Players and the Landmark Youth Theatre Project, located in a converted historic Victorian era church. $4 - $8, season subscriptions $65 - $155.
address: 192 Main StreetCALL FOR CURRENT FILM. One screen, showing current releases on weekends. Open Year-round. Concession Stand. Admission $6.00. Seating Capacity 250. Circa 1930s. Contributing building in Downtown Sutton Historic District
- Bulltown Historic District, Millstone Run Road off WV-19 in Burnsville, 304-853-2371 or 304-452-8170. Open 10AM to 6PM daily, mid-May to mid-October. Civil War battlefield, featuring preserved trenches, structures dating to the mid-1800s, a mile-long self-guided trail, and a visitor's center with costumed interpreters and exhibits. The Battle of Bulltown is re-enacted each fall.
Sutton Lakephone: +1 304-765-2816Sutton Dam Road. 1,500-acre lake offering bass, catfish and trout fishing; swimming; boat launch ramps; and the 210-foot-high Sutton Dam, completed in 1961.
Burnsville LakeWV-5 east of Burnsville. 968-acre lake offering fishing, swimming, guide services, boat launch ramps, full-service marina, small game hunting, and the Burnsville Dam. Camping available.
- Mid-Mountain Lanes, exit 67 off I-79, 304-765-2811. Bowling alley with on-site restaurant.
Mountain Lakes AmphitheaterHosts a summer full of the best entertainment in West Virginia.
ELK THEATREaddress: 192 Main StreetCALL FOR CURRENT FILM. Escape for a couple hours, visit the Elk Theatre. Open Year-round. Concessions. Admission $6.00.
- The local newspapers are
Braxton Citizens' News, 304-765-5193, .
Braxton Democrat Central, 304-765-5555, Serving Braxton County, West Virginia since 1883.
address: 250 Skidmore LaneOpen 10AM to 9PM Monday through Saturday, and 12PM to 6PM on Sunday, April through December; in winter, stores close at 6PM Sunday through Thursday, and 9PM Friday and Saturday. Save up to 70% on quality merchandise from over 20 stores, including Fenton Art Glass, clothing, gifts and the Flatwoods Farmers Market.
- Poplar Forest, 82 Skidmore Lane, +1 304-765-3995, . One of West Virginia's finest and most diverse cooperatives, representing over 200 juried artists and craftsmen of Central Appalachia: glass, quilts, pottery, furniture, books, West Virginia food and wine, baskets, bowls, hand forged ironware, dulcimers, mountain music, toys, dolls and more.
- Lost Road Candles, 252 Skidmore Lane, +1 304-765-4044 or +1-877-273-2888, . Embellished, heavily-scented candles in coffee, pie and fruit scents, flower and herb scents, and holiday or special occasion varieties.
- Nanny's Primitives, 89 Skidmore Lane, +1 304-765-3636, . Handmade primitive furniture, primitive candles, accents, decor, primitive tea-dyed quilts, wall hangings, stoneware, handmade rugs, lighting and more. You can also buy a statuette of the Braxton County Monster.
Everything Fiesta, 52 Skidmore Lane, +1 304-765-5383, . 1st and 2nd quality Fiesta, decorated Fiesta items, and accessories such as linens, glasses and flatware.
Sisters' Antique Mall
Summer Hollow PotteryWV-1 in Frametown. Unique handcrafted pottery including mugs, teapots, bowls, vases, pitchers, candlesticks, piggy banks, prayer boxes and more.
phone: +1 304-765-2913address: 616 Main StreetOpen 5 to 10PM Tuesday through Saturday; reservations recommended. Serving fine Italian cuisine and other European specialties.
China Buffetaddress: 245 Skidmore LaneAll-you-can-eat buffet with appetizers, main courses and desserts, as well as an abundant menu.
- Giovanni's Pizza, in Burnsville, +1 304-853-2001. Italian cuisine, including pizza and spaghetti.
Waffle Hutaddress: 2118 Sutton LnOPEN 24 HOURS Located On I-79 At Exit 67 Flatwoods. Home Cooked Food, Great Food and Service. Very Affordable Prices. Meeting Room Available for Large Groups. EXXON Gas Station.
Vae's Dineraddress: 517 Elk STFamily Cookin Done right
Conrad Motelphone: +1 304-462-7316address: 100 Conrad CourtIn Glenville.
Elk Motor Courtphone: +1 304-765-7173address: 35 Camdon Avenue12 rooms, 3 campsites.
Laurel Court Moteladdress: 1321 Sutton LaneMotel rooms and 14 chalets.
Motel 79address: 102 S Main StreetIn Burnsville.
phone: +1 304-765-5055address: 2000 Sutton Lane200 rooms. Indoor pool, outdoor pool, sauna, exercise room. On-site Visions Restaurant and gift shop featuring quality West Virginia merchandise.
Sutton Lane Moteladdress: 2120 Sutton Lane30 rooms, microwave, fridge, HBO, wifi.
address: 2000 Sutton Lane50 lots. Electric, water and sewer service. Reservations are booked at the Days Inn. $30.
phone: +1 304-364-6100address: 115 Reston PlaceOffer guests free local and long distance calls within the continental United States, and free high-speed wireless (wifi) Internet access in all of the hotel rooms.
Sutton Post Office