- — a classical cycladic medieval settlement that is densely built with narrow roads, circular order and a radial street plan
- — the capital of the South Aegean region
From the Greek mainland ferries and hydrofoil services run daily from Piraeus, Rafina and Lavrio.
Ermoupolis isn't only the capital of Syros, but also the capital of the Cyclades and thus well-connected with Athens. The itineraries from Piraeus, the port of Athens, to Ermoupolis (Syros) are daily and the trip takes about 4 hours by normal ferry. Syros is also connected to Thessaloniki, northern Greece, in 18 hours. There is also a ferry leaving from Lavrio, to the south of Attica and reaching Syros in about 5 hours.
Apart from the mainland, there are many ferries and hydrofoils to connect Syros with other Aegean islands. Normal ferries connect Syros to Aegiali, Amorgos (5 hours), Andros (3 hours and a half), Donousa (6 hours), Folegandros (6 hours), Heraklion, Crete (12 hours), Ios (5 hours), Karlovasi, Samos (4 hours), Katapola, Amorgos (7 hours), Kea (4 hours), Kimolos (6 hours), Kos (4 hours), Koufonisia (8 hours), Kythnos (2 hours and a half), Leros (3 hours and a half), Milos (8 hours), Mykonos (1 hour and a half), Naxos (3 hours), Paros (1 hour and a half), Patmos (3 hours), Rhodes (8 hours), Schinoussa (9 hours), Serifos (4 hours), Sifnos (5 hours), Sikinos (5 hours), Skiathos (9 hours), Skopelos (8 hours) and Santorini (7 hours). Regular hydrofoils connect Syros to Mykonos (1 hour) and Tinos (40 minutes).
There is a daily morning flight from Athens airport (35 minutes) by Olympic Air .
The airport of Syros Island is located south of Ermoupolis.
- City Hall, designed by Ernst Ziller, also home to the Archaeological Museum (tel. 22810-88487)
- Apollo Theatre, inspired by Italian and French architectural styles, seat of the International Classical Music Festival of the Cyclades
- The Vaporia neighborhood, with stately mansions and the Church of St Nicolas
- Industrial Museum (11 Georgiou Papandreou, www.ketepo.gr)
- Ano Syros, the city's medieval quarter. Further uphill, the 13th-century St George's Roman Catholic Cathedral with a view of the Greek Orthodox Church of Anastaseos.
Chiou StreetProvides the opportunity to buy local San Michalis cheese and handmade pasta flavored with saffron from Prekas grocery store (4 Chiou St) and halvadopita (nougat) from the Korres workshop (29 Chiou St).
BeachesFrom Ermoupolis take the bus to Kini (about 30 minutes) or Galissas (20 minutes direct or 45 minutes through the southern part of the island). Also, you can visit some of the northern beaches by boat.
The best beaches are in Finikas, Kokkina, Galissas, Delfini, Poseidonia, and Agathopes. Other beaches are in Kini, Vari, Megas Gialos, and Angathopes.
Small boats conduct tours from Kini to Varvarousa, Aetos, Lia, and Grammata.
VillagesThe island's prettiest villages are Galissas, Kini, Parakopi with its delightful pine groves, Delagrazia, Chrousa, Episkopio with its fine mansions, and Finikas.
- Walk the narrow back streets of Ermoupolis and discover the city's charm.
- Visit Ano Syros and the Catholic Cathedral of Agios Georgios. Take the bus or a taxi to Ano Syros and then walk downhill through the medieval city.
- Hang out in Plateia Miaouli, one of Greece's best public plazas.
- Walk to the Holy Church of the Resurrection of Christ to view the opulent interior and splendid views.
- Traditional products, such as herbs and traditional sweets (loukoumia and chalvadopita). There are lots of shops offering traditional products at Hiou street.
- Local San Michalis cheese with saffron at Prekas grocery store (4 Chiou Street)
- Halvado-pita (nougat) at the Korres workshop (29 Chiou Street)
- Loukoumi (chewy sweet) at Denaxas (52 Ethnikis Antistaseos Street)
- Django, Hiou. Snacks and very good Italian style ice cream.
- Stin Ithaki tou Ai, Stefanou 1. Traditional tavern offering local specialties.
- Iliovasilema, Galissas. Fish tavern near the beach. Try the "saganaki" (fried San Michali cheese) and "gouna" (Fish prepared in a unique traditional manner).
Apollon HotelTraditional hotel situated in a green hill at the west side of Syros island.
Eleana HotelModern hotel offering many comforts and a well maintained interior.
Faros HotelLuxury hotel with private beach.
phone: +30 2281086495address: Babagiotou 5 strTraditional settlement in Hermoupolis.