Tanjung BatuKundur island in the Riau archipelago. It has a busy waterfront and a couple of streets lined with shops. Its not the most charming of towns, unlike Tanjung Balai on Karimun which somehow has more atmosphere. Nevertheless, the town is very quiet and relaxed, except for the many ojek (motorcycle taxis) drivers who will constantly yell out to you and ask whether you want a ride (or, if you are a man, a woman!). The main commercial streets are Jalan Merdeka where the market is, and the shop-lined Jalan Jend Sudirman. The waterfront is also interesting with many boats loading and unloading goods. Just relax and enjoy the feeling of being in a timeless tropical port.
There are ferry services from Karimun and even from Moro, the village on Sugibawah island.
Most buildings here have an additional "bird house" on their roofs, housing thousands of swallows. The owners will harvest "birds nest" - a protein-rich gelatin-like substance formed from the saliva of the swallows - which is in high demand by the Chinese who consume them as a health supplement.
- Cetiya Sasana Kitri
- Vihara Dharma Shanti Cetiya Sasana Kitri (福朝廟) - at Jalan Usman Harun, unique red calabash in front of the temple differentiate it from others
- Vihara Dharma Shanti Kundur (泰安廟) - have a stroll and enjoy the breeze in the late evening. Spacious, with tables and chairs. The door is painted with guardian deities, probably one of the great spot in the town.
- Masjid Raya Nurussalam
- Fishing, relax and karaoke at Hotel Gembira and Restaurant Gembira.
- Visit the wet market in the morning. Hive of actvity, where many fresh items are sold. Can see chicken slaughtered, and plucked clean. Fishes prepared fresh.
- At the side of Vihara Dharmma Shanti, there has a Warnet called Polaris Computerindo for kids who love to play computer games like DOTA Allstars or Counter Strike.
- At Jalan Jenderal Sudirman (Jalan Besar) in front of Masjid Raya and Vihara Dharma Shanti, there are chicken rice and a kind of clear soup.
- At Jalan Merdeka, there are food courts called Pujasera\Akau\Pasar around 5-6 PM to midnight-1AM.
Ah Kun's Saho Seafood Restaurantphone: +62-779-21289address: Jalan Usman Harun No. 16Recommended by the locals.
Ah Kun's brother restaurantaddress: Jalan Usman Harun No. 21The ikan bakar (Rp 10,000) and ayam panggang can be sold out as early as 17:30.
Restaurant Gembira Seafoodphone: +62-779-21426address: Jalan Usman Harun No. 18HHas fresh seafood at reasonable prices, and Karaoke
Toko abadiphone: +62 779 21265address: Jalan Jendral SudirmanA bakery that sells a wide variety of cakes, and pastries. On top of these modern products, it also produces traditional ones, for example "la pia" (pie made of lark) and of course the moon cake during the mid-autumnfestival. In addition, they do sell materials and ingredients for cake-making.
For bottled drinking water get the local produced AVIGA spring water from PT. Citra Alam Sumber Wita costs Rp 2.000 for a 1500 ml bottle.
Heineken beer costs Rp 15.000 at Ah Kun's Saho Seafood Restaurant (三好海鲜煮炒) and Rp 17.000 at Hotel Gembira restaurant, respectively. The Restaurant Gembira the Place more Relaxing.
- You can do shopping in Mini Market Gembira at Jl. Jend. Sudirman Komplek Gembira No. 18. Tel: +62-779-22235.
- Also you can shop in the Jalan Jend. Sudirman straight line were there are many shops you can find. There are also some stores like Toko Sogo, and Toko Joni.
Wisma Lipophone: +62-779-21076address: Jalan Pemuda No. 3, Tanjung BatuLocated next to the port and shops, it’s on your left immediately after you leave the port area. The corridors are dark and cavernous, the walls of the rooms need a coat of paint badly and the tables and closets are scarred with cigarettes butt marks. Toilets, although Indonesian style, are clean and have hot water. Rooms are air-conditioned and come with TV.
phone: +62-779-217319, +62-779-431311address: Jalan Pemuda, Tanjung BatuIt’s about 100 m away from the ferry terminal. Walk straight ahead after leaving terminal until you reach a square to your left. The hotel is located at far end of square and it has been given a relatively good review.
Hotel Mataramphone: +62-779-21777address: Jalan Usman Harun No. 7H, Tanjung BatuLocated on a street facing a row of Chinese restaurants, parallel to Jl. Jend Sudirman. Owned by Hotel Gembira’s boss.
Hotel Gembiraphone: +62-779-21888address: Jalan Usman Harun No. 18H, Tanjung Batu, Pulau Kundur, Karimun 29162, IndonesiaEasily the best hotel in town, it is a multi-storey building facing the water to the northeast of the town centre and has a huge restaurant on stilts over the water as well as a karaoke room. Not to be confused with the Hotel Taman Gembira which is in Sawang, outside Tanjung Batu.
Wisma Berlianphone: +62-779-21666address: Kompleks Safari Indah, Jl. Usman Harun, Tanjung BatuDecent rooms include hot water and TV. Located near the busiest breakfast street in Tanjung Batu where you can find many kind of breakfast easily.
Wisma Hockyphone: +62-779-431456address: Jl. Usman Harun, No. 65, Tanjung BatuRun by friendly, helpful and informative staffsp. The rooms come with strong air conditioning, hot shower and TV.
phone: +62-779-21333, +62-779-21468, +62-779-21454address: Jl. Sawang Km 7.5Located outside of Tanjung Batu, and maybe the biggest hotel in Pulau Kundur.