TaungupRakhine State, the westernmost state in Myanmar.
From specific destinations:
- Thandwe (for Ngapali) – Many buses and pickups/vans per day do the 2-3 hr trip. 3,000 kyat. Some touristy buses go into Ngapali directly.
- Mrauk U – At least two buses leave for Taungup. 12 hr, 15,000 kyat.
- Pyay – Prepare (your stomach) for a very bumpy ride through the mountains at certain seasons. 4-7 hr. 4,000-10,000 kyat.
Taungup HabourTaungup also has a harbour, where boats from Sittwe arrive—Monday & Thursday, leave at 06:00 arrive at 15:00. There are some concerns regarding the security on the boat as robberies have occurred.
PagodaHave a look at this pagoda in the quiet setting of a monastery. Allows for a relaxed wait for the bus.
Ms AungVery nice restaurant. They rarely see foreigners, hence they take extra care more they take care of their guests. Various meat dishes, served with salads and rice.
Royal RestaurantVariety of dishes.
Khant Guest House
Nan Taw Oo Guest House
- Pyay – Famous for the nearby and ancient Pyu city.
- Ngapali – Has the most beautiful beaches in Myanmar, but is mostly a resort place with few budget options.
- Mrauk U – Famous for is ancient sights and traditional, surrounding Chin Villages.
- Sittwe – Used to be the transport hub for Mrauk U and allows for an alternative route by boat. The boat leaves Wednesday & Saturday, 06:30 from the harbour, and arrives at 15:30. Tickets are sold at office at the street north from the bus station by the guesthouses towards the market, just after the wide open junction.