TomarPortugal, in the centre of the country, in the district of Médio Tejo.
Lisbon: There is hourly direct train to/from Lisbon (Santa Apolonia/Oriente), (ap. 2 h), 8.40 €.
Porto: Several per day, (ap. 3.5 h), 19 €, need to change in Entrocamento or Lamarosa/Coimbra B.
There are two bus companies that connect Tomar: Rede Expressos and Rodoviária do Tejo.
There is also citybus, 3 lines, 0.85 €/ticket valid for 1.5 h.
Tomar is a small city but holds an important ancient past and some of the most important monuments in Portugal.
Convent of Christ and Castle of TomarUNESCO World Heritage Site, built in 12th century. After the Order of the Knights Templar was dissolved in the 14th century, the Portuguese branch of the order was turned into the Knights of the Order of Christ, which supported Portugal's maritime discoveries of the 15th century. Entrance 6 €, free on Sundays and holidays till 2 pm.
Church of Santa Maria do Olivalit was built in the second half of the 12th century by the provincial master of the Order of the Knights Templar in Portugal, Gualdim Pais.
- Church of Saint John the Baptist and Republic Square, this church was built in the end of the 15th century, marked as National Monument in 1910 and is in Republica Square where is Gualdim Pais statue.
- Aqueduct of Pegões, (Quinta dos Pegões), it was built to deliever water to Convento de Cristo and has 6 km of extension. The construction started in 1593 and finished in 1614. The highest point of this aqueduct is 30 m above ground level. Take the small "train tour bus" in city center that takes you to the highest point. The easiest way to go to aqueduct is to follow the local road to Leiria.
Synagogue of Tomaris the best preserved of the medieval synagogues of Portugal. It is located in the historic centre of the city of Tomar, and houses a small Jewish Museum.
- Museum of Matches (Museu dos Fósforos), Av. Gen. Bernardo Faia, near raliway station. Surprisingly nice exhibition of matches's boxes all over the world. Open daily 2pm-5pm, free entrance.
Festa dos TabuleirosIs a festival organized every 4 years during summer (beginning of July) Last/next one is in 2011. It an old tradition and in every event, Tomar becomes completely crowded and visitants can enjoy original decoration of streets, music concerts, traditional gastronomy and of course the main part of festival the trays parade.
- Cervejaria do Fernando - serves typical portuguese meals from lunchtime till midnight ~6 €. Open: Tu-Su: 10am-1am, closed on Mondays.
Restaurante Baía (são João Batista)phone: +351 249 315 956Portuguese food mainly meat and fish, vegetarian soup and salads.
- Cafe Paraiso situated in the main street, the oldest bar in the city.
Residencal Uniãophone: +351 249 323 161address: Rua Serpa Pinto Nº 94Single room: 20-28 €, double: 30-45 €, triple: 45-50 €, breakfast included. No credit cards accepted.
phone: +351 249 312 317address: Rua Serpa Pinto Nº 144Single: 17-20 €, Double: 22.5-32.5 €.
phone: +351 249 321 203, +351 249 321 067address: Rua Alexandre Herculano Nº 7
phone: +351 249 313 326Mouchão Parque. Single: 40-65 €, Double: 60-85 €, breakfast included.
phone: +351 249 310 100address: Largo Candido dos Reis 1