Udupi (district)Karnataka State.
- } —
- } —
The district is famous for various Hindu ( Sanatana ) temples like Shree Krishna Matha at Udupi city and many more spread through out the Udupi district. Education institutes are located in around Udupi and Manipal.
By roadUdupi district is connected by highways NH 66 (formerly NH 17) and NH 169 (formerly NH 13). NH-66 connects Udupi to Mangaluru, Kasargod, Kochi, Goa, Ratnagiri, and Mumbai. NH-169 connects to Shivamogga and Solapur. There are many Karnataka state highways (SH) connecting Udupi district to other districts of Karnataka state. The main district roads (MDR) connect villages and towns within the district.
By railUdupi district is connected to Konkan railways. Udupi district has few stations on Konkan railway route which connects Mumbai to Mangalore. Railway stations in Udupi district are as follows Shiroor, Baindoor, Bijoor, Senapura, Kundapura, Barkur, Udupi, Padubidri, Nandikoor ( Nandikuru ).
By planeMangalore International Airport is the nearest airport to Udupi, 60 km away.
By boatNew Mangalore Port ( NMPT ) is the nearest major sea port at Panamburu, 50 km away.
Udupi district has good services of private buses going to different places from district headquarters Udupi city and taluk headquarters Kundapura and Karkala. Auto and taxi are available at major tourist places in the district to go around.
- Udupi district has many temples. Famous ones are Shri Krishna Matha ( Sri Krishna Temple) at Udupi town, Pajaka is the birth place of Jagadguru Shri Madhva Acharya the Dvaita philosopher of Hinduism and founder of Ashta matha's ( Eight Monastries ) of Udupi .
- Hindu temples at Udupi districts are Vinayaka Temple - Anegudde ( 26 km from Udupi), Mukambika Temple - Kollur ( 59 km from Udupi, 26 km from Kundapura), Vinayaka temple - Hattiyangadi ( 9 km from Kundapur), Mandarti Durga Temple, Shankaranarayana Temple, Anantha Padmanabha Temples at Hebri and Perdur,
- There are many famous beaches along Udupi district coast. Mainly, Kaup Beach ( Light house ), Malpe beach, Kodi beach, Maravanthe beach. St Mary's Island is around 10 km from Malpe, which is an excellent picnic spot.
- Visit Barkur or Barkuru a village near Brahmavara which was once capital of Tulunad (Tulu Dynasty). Ruins of past Tulu kingdom can be found at Barkur. There is a railway station at Barkur where Matsyagandha Express (Train 12619 /12620) connecting Mumbai to Mangalore stops. Also passenger trains from Madgaon (Goa) to Mangaluru do stop at this station.
- Nature walk at Sitanadi nature camp run Karnataka forest department at Sitanadi near Hebri. This camp is part of Someshwara Wildlife Sanctuary. Also go to Kudlu water falls which near to the Sitanadi camp during rainy season (June to September). Ride along road starting from Sitanadi via Bachappu, Kabbinale, Muthlupadi, Ajekar to Karkala which is very scenic but very narrow.
- Visit Karkala which has Jain Basidi and Gomateshwara statue.
- Boating at some of the rivers of the district like the Sita and Swarna.
- Saaru powder ( Saarina Hudi ) Sambhar powder, Kashaya powder and Coconut oil.
- Pickles made from Mango, Lemon and different vegetables.
- Cotton wicks ( Bathi ) used to light lamp in front of Gods, Incense sticks ( Udinabathi ) and other Pooja / Japa/ Homa / Havan related items at Car street ( Ratha beedi ) near to Krishna Matha at Udupi city.
- Happala ( Pappad ) and Sandige made from Black gram ( Uddu ), Horse gram ( Huruli ), Sweet potato ( Genasu ) and Jack fruit ( Halasina hannu ).
- Sweets and savouries.
- Mitra Samaja at Car street ( Ratha Beedi ) in Udupi town is a vegetarian restaurant where onion and garlic are not used in preparations and suitable for Jains.
- Woodlands restaurant near Adamaru matha choultry at Udupi for lip smacking Masala dosa and other vegetarian foods.
- Diana- one of the oldest eat out in the town serves authentic South Indian food! Do try GudBud ice creams here, A specially of this joint.
- Shri Rama Bhavan, Tenkapete, Udupi.
- Tender Coconut water available locally.
HangyoHangyo outlets are present in nook and corner and is a very famous treating spot.
Do not swim in Arabian sea at Malpe beach and other beaches. Summer season ( March to May ) can be hot and humid making you to sweat profusely. During monsoon season be alert to floods , water logging, big potholes on the road.