Vladikavkaz is the capital city of North Ossetia and a major transit hub for the North Caucasus region. Its position on the Georgian Military Highway makes it a staging post for journeys to both Georgia and South Ossetia.
Mukhtarov MosqueA striking historic mosque completed in 1908. The mosque takes its name from the Azerbaijani millionaire Murtuza Mukhtarov who financed its construction.
- Vladikavkaz also has quite a few outdoor sculptures and monuments.
- The Mariinsky Theatre has a branch in Vladikavkaz.
Vogue Restaurantphone: +7 8672 53-95-64address: U. Mayakovskogo, 21Salads, Pasta, Pizza, Deserts, full bar and shisha. Lots of pretty people who like to stare at foreigners. One of the few places in town with outside seating.
Grushaphone: +7 8672 54-88-55address: Ul. Shumlevicha, 41Excellent Georgia food and shashlik. Loud music.
Magiya Cafephone: +7 8672 54-06-48address: Ul. M. Gorkogo, 9Good deserts, light meals, drinks, great coffee.
Leonardo Cafe/Galleryphone: +7 8672 53-88-88address: Ul. Revolutsii, 62Interesting local art. Good meals, good cocktails, basement bar filled with smoke.
Hotel Imperialphone: +7 8672 54-74-74address: Prospket Mira, 19directly on the central street of the city. Comfortable, recommended over other options, little bit pricier. Restaurant Bavaria behind the hotel with outside seating and extremely loud karaoke during the summer months. Sauna onsite.
Hotel Vladikavkazphone: +7 8672 64-94-94, +7 8672 55-03-83address: ul. Kotzoeva, 75Soviet-style in tourist hotel. Cheap, on the river, five-minute walk from the center and across the street from a unique mosque. Not very comfortable but generally has rooms at affordable rates.
Aleksandrovskiy Grand Hoteladdress: Prospekt Mira 29Four-star hotel.
- The striking North Ossetian mountains: Tse and Fiagdon in particular. However, all non-Russian citizens are forbidden to travel outside the main towns of Vladikavkaz, Beslan, Alagir and Ardon. If found by local authorities outside the regulated areas you may be subject to a fine and/or deportation.
- Georgia - head south on the Georgian Military Highway to the border post at Verkny Lars and then to Kazbegi in Georgia.
- South Ossetia - head south on the Trans-Caucasian Highway through the Roki tunnel to the disputed region's capital, Tskhinvali.